2 People Backed out after Final Payment

Hollr

My parents are booked on the same cruise we will be on here in 40 days. My niece and her husband who were going to be in their room have now backed out. Is there any recourse for my parents? They bought travel insurance, but from what I understand you can't make a claim on 2 people because they just up and decided they didn't want to go. Are they just out of luck and out the money they paid? Any options? I'm so annoyed at my niece for doing this.

I had to read it twice but still not sure.

Are the niece and husband guests 1 & 2 or are the parents guests 1 & 2?

My parents are guests 1 & 2. Niece and her husband are 3 & 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I understand it correctly, then the ship will just sail with two less persons who did not show up. No refund, for whatever their extra cost might have been though. However, only a minor issue that actually gives your parents now the whole room for themselves. For me, I would suggest to the niece that it would be polite and appropriate to pay the parents whatever they are out.

So was there a Friends and Family Sail Free promo when they booked? Niece and husband charged taxes and port fees only? Had they all agreed to split the cost of the cabin 4 ways equally? What was the fare charged for guests 3 and 4?

So was there a Friends and Family Sail Free promo when they booked? Niece and husband charged taxes and port fees only? Had they all agreed to split the cost of the cabin 4 ways equally? What was the fare charged for guests 3 and 4?

It shows $60 each plus the govt fees and cruise line pass through fees and $200 for the travel insurance. It comes out to about $1000 all out of my parent's pocket. That may not be much for some folks, but I don't like watching money of any amount go down the drain.

You will get the govt fees back. I am not sure what the cruise line pass through fees are, but they may be refunded. The $60 and $200 for insurance will be lost though. Double check the insurance and see if you will get(if you can get) back anything by putting in a claim.

It shows $60 each plus the govt fees and cruise line pass through fees and $200 for the travel insurance. It comes out to about $1000 all out of my parent's pocket. That may not be much for some folks, but I don't like watching money of any amount go down the drain.

Did your parents pay for your niece and her husband? If so, then yes, they'll be out the $60 pp plus $200 (I'm assuming for both, if not they wayyyy overpaid) for insurance.

Did your parents pay for your niece and her husband? If so, then yes, they'll be out the $60 pp plus $200 (I'm assuming for both, if not they wayyyy overpaid) for insurance.

Yes, my parents paid for them. It was a total of $200 so basically $100 each for insurance.

Have you checked the insurance policy yet?

That's an expensive policy, and could contain a clause that covers this situation.

I did skim through the fine print. It has a "Trip Cancellation Benefit" section which basically lists out what it covers. Like medical issue, stolen passports, natural disaster, wreck en route to port, etc.

I've never bought travel insurance, so I didn't know the going rate.

Pretty sure taxes are refundable for 3rd and 4th guest however not sure about pass through fees which are fixed port charges per person. Check to see if you can do a free name change of 3rd and 4th guest? I have done this before but I think it has to be done more 30 days out.

Unless I am reading the cancellation fee schedule incorrectly, if they booked after 1/1/2016, there is no cancellation penalty for passengers 3-8 in a non-suite unless they are within 30 days of the cruise. Here is the link to what I am looking at - https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule It talks about passengers 3-8 all the way at the bottom.

I'm a bit confused on what the issue is. If I read this correctly, your parents paid regular rates for themselves plus $200 in insurance for the whole cabin, plus $60 each for pass 3 and 4 plus govt fees and taxes?

They should cancel passengers 3 and 4 and the govt fees and taxes will be refunded. So then they will only be out $120. Insurance you don't get back no matter what... that's not a fair burden to put on the people backing out. The insurance would have been priced out to only cover $120 in cancellation (which may be recoverable if they have a covered reason for cancelling) plus a minimal amount in health care (I went on a 2 week trip this summer and got health/evacuation coverage only and the super deluxe premium plan was only $30... so that's not a big part of the insurance cost).

So, unless I'm missing something your parents are only out $120. And if calmpets post is correct, maybe not even out that. If they are def out your parents should cancel them ASAP and continue on with enjoying the cruise. Worst case it's a $120 lesson not to plan trips with these two again.