Price Drops on Carnival - they are cunning!

johno1234

I've been watching my cruise for a couple of months - there has been a trickle of price drops, but they all seem to be for the 'guarantee' cabin category. I'd be reasonably happy if that was what I booked, but I needed interconnecting cabins so that was no good.

It does seem to me that they price-drop the guarantee cabins but not the selected/allocated cabins, and feed out the unsold cabins as guarantee cabins?

I've been watching my cruise for a couple of months - there has been a trickle of price drops, but they all seem to be for the 'guarantee' cabin category. I'd be reasonably happy if that was what I booked, but I needed interconnecting cabins so that was no good.

It does seem to me that they price-drop the guarantee cabins but not the selected/allocated cabins, and feed out the unsold cabins as guarantee cabins?

Yes they are.

ummm... yes. That would be correct. This is how retail works. It's not cunning... it's supply and demand. I did this for my last cruise. We got a guarantee cabin after final payment at a significant discount. Of course, I had no say in my room and had a partially obstructed view - but I gave up my right to choose my room in order to save money. You are welcome to do the same :D

Hi there

I know you are not complaining because you are going to be going on a cruise and will have a wonderful time.

I just wanted to point out that if you do not see any price drops for your cabin class, it shows that you bought at the best possible price. You were happy with the price when you made the purchase or you wouldn't have booked. There aren't very many purchases where you would go back to the retailer a month later and ask if they might consider refunding some of the money you paid for that "whatever" you bought. :)

It is just very nice for these companies to provide this sort of price guarantee. If you do your homework and keep checking and there is an adjustment then you will benefit. Most people don't check and may not even realize that they can even do this. If there is no price drop it just means that the company did their job well in pricing initially.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Yes, this is how they price cabins as the sailing gets closer. In my experience if you want to pick you cabin, you are better off booking early; more selection and there's room to watch prices for discounts. Sometimes the different categories go up and down but once you get past final payment the guarantee cabin price drops so they can make sure the boat sells out. They still charge the same, if not more, as the early bookings (and very often more) to people who want to pick their cabins. There's no reason to be unhappy about this; you booked early and the benefit is you were able to get the connecting cabins you wanted and you got them at the best price offered. People get upset when they book a certain category balcony and then the price for balconies drops dramatically after final payment, but they often fail to see that the price only dropped for guarantee bookings. No reason to get upset about that... your benefit was you didn't have to book a guarantee rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've gotten price drops on most of our Carnival cruises. In fact, my neighbor just got $68 back on her April cruise. You just have to keep checking. Sometimes the cabin category sells out & you just can't get anymore drops. As the previous poster said, if you were happy with your price when you booked, don't fret if you don't get a price drop. That's how I've had to look at it at times. At least Carnival will honor price drops - our Princess experience was quite the opposite.