gratuities, this is how they are officially spread out

luckyinpa

This is interesting information. Thanks for sharing. I don't really lose sleep over who gets what, but I find it interesting none the less.

I'm surprised to see that the dining room staff get so much more than stateroom attendants, but maybe that's because they have assistant waiters so it gets split among them.

So, for two people that would mean average tip for the waitstaff is between $12-13. That seems more reasonable than I'd thought.

Tom

Waiters, Asst. waiters, as well as the Head Waiter that is wandering around is also included in the tip distribution

I certainly hope that was in ADDITION to the automatic tips!

It would be sad indeed if you canceled your tips and left "LOTS of ones and fives"

I DID NOT cancel the auto grats! You missed my entire point. I don't trust the auto system. The envelope way (which was in place for years) let me know what I gave was in the correct hand(s). I have always far exceeded the "suggested" amounts l.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So. After several b2b cruises on the Allure and Oasis in Grand Suites and prepaying gratuities, and tipping generiously in the Coastal Kitchen and the speciality restaurants (in addition to the surcharge) and never darkening the doors of the main dining room, we are planning on removing our gratuities for the dining room staff on our upcoming b2b. And seldom or never do we eat in Windjammer. We tip generously on a daily basis wherever we eat. I believe Royal needs to address its gratuity policy, at least for those of us who are double paying. JMHO.

So. After several b2b cruises on the Allure and Oasis in Grand Suites and prepaying gratuities, and tipping generiously in the Coastal Kitchen and the speciality restaurants (in addition to the surcharge) and never darkening the doors of the main dining room, we are planning on removing our gratuities for the dining room staff on our upcoming b2b. And seldom or never do we eat in Windjammer. We tip generously on a daily basis wherever we eat. I believe Royal needs to address its gratuity policy, at least for those of us who are double paying. JMHO.

Thank you! I feel the same way. Many on CC don't feel we are fair when I feel the opposite. On my last voyage (a whole week ago) we ate 3 of the 7 in specialty and YES we tipped there also. When is being too much....too much ? As I said earlier, go back to envelopes. The current system is wrong IMHO. Respectfully.

As I read your post, although I applaud you for "tipping generously " you are choosing to pay double - you don't have to.

QNormal/average cruisers, regardless of the type of stateroom they travel in, who leave the automatic gratuities in place are tipping the correct people. If it makes you feel better tipping individuals I understand that, but would suggest that leaving the automatic tips alone, and adding additional cash, if you want to, is of more benefit to the staff and much fairer.

Thank you! I feel the same way. Many on CC don't feel we are fair when I feel the opposite. On my last voyage (a whole week ago) we ate 3 of the 7 in specialty and YES we tipped there also. When is being too much....too much ? As I said earlier, go back to envelopes. The current system is wrong IMHO. Respectfully.

Same response as to pooh8941. You chose to tip extra, you didn't have to. Old time cruiser that well remembers envelopes and empty dining rooms on the last night of a cruise! Current system is so much simpler!

Thank you for the responses. Just to say...my point was that due to the current tipping policy I have chosen in the past to "double" tip, but in the future I am choosing to tip for service received and only that. I know there is a complex program for dispersing the tips among the crew, but it is way too complex for me. I intend to reward crew that I see face to face for their service. And I will do so generously. This discussion, to me, isn't about trying to save money when I cruise, but to make the system fair to the cruiser as well as the crew. Royal is the problem.

On our last cruise by choice we gave an extra tip to our wait staff and room steward as the service was outstanding, they never asked. We did get asked to take the survey and hope there service warranted a 10. It seemed like that was more important then extra gratuity. We did give them all 10. I hope the get some kind of a bonus for those surveys.

This is interesting information. Thanks for sharing. I don't really lose sleep over who gets what, but I find it interesting none the less.

I'm surprised to see that the dining room staff get so much more than stateroom attendants, but maybe that's because they have assistant waiters so it gets split among them.

So, for two people that would mean average tip for the waitstaff is between $12-13. That seems more reasonable than I'd thought.

Tom

Dining staff also includes all the people working in the windjammer. I get a bit miffed when someone says they took off their gratuities because they didn't eat in the main dining room but go on to say they ate all their meals in the windjammer or cafe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I thought daily gratuities is no longer a thing. RCI terms and conditions for Australia state:

For bookings created from 12 December 2016 onwards for cruises departing 15 January 2017 onwards, onboard service charges for stateroom attendants and dining room staff are included in your voyage fare.

Please note: An 18% service charge will be automatically added to beverages, mini bar items, spa and salon purchases. Royal Caribbean reserves the right to adjust the recommended daily service charge amounts.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/vanity/australiaterms

I thought daily gratuities is no longer a thing. RCI terms and conditions for Australia state:http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/vanity/australiaterms

This is only for bookings made in New Zealand and Australia on any Royal Caribbean and Celebrity sailing worldwide.

The rest of the world still operates on voluntary gratuities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is only for bookings made in New Zealand and Australia on any Royal Caribbean and Celebrity sailing worldwide.

The rest of the world still operates on voluntary gratuities.

I see, ok, shouldn't be a problem for me in the foreseeable future then. Hope this doesn't get too confusing.

Thank you for the responses. Just to say...my point was that due to the current tipping policy I have chosen in the past to "double" tip, but in the future I am choosing to tip for service received and only that. I know there is a complex program for dispersing the tips among the crew, but it is way too complex for me. I intend to reward crew that I see face to face for their service. And I will do so generously. This discussion, to me, isn't about trying to save money when I cruise, but to make the system fair to the cruiser as well as the crew. Royal is the problem.

You have every right to provide gratuities in a way you feel is appropriate. You believe only you are trustful enough to put that gratuity in the hands of those who served you.

If Royal is the problem, so is every other mass market cruiseline that utilizes the exact same service charge structure.

If you are trying to change the whole industry, you have a huge uphill battle. Best of luck.

On our last cruise by choice we gave an extra tip to our wait staff and room steward as the service was outstanding, they never asked. We did get asked to take the survey and hope there service warranted a 10. It seemed like that was more important then extra gratuity. We did give them all 10. I hope the get some kind of a bonus for those surveys.

i think the do mean more. NCL has hero cards that you can fill out. that shows effort made by customer to recognize someone. i'm sure they get some kind of other recognition for the cards vs the internal satisfaction from tips

I'm pretty sure the waiter and/or assistant waiter portion of the dining staff gratuity is allocated to the actual wait staff that serve the specific table you are seated at whether in the MDR or any of the speciality or suite restaurants.

A portion of the dining staff gratuity will also go to the assistant waiters/waiters who have duties in the Windjammer and other non MDR areas.

I very rarely have any reason to tip above the automatic amounts, and in any case the staff in my experience are far more interested in the magic 10 on survey or comments cards because that is more likely to assist them with both continued employment and promotion, than they are a few extra dollars/euros/pounds.

Simple tipper here. I love the prepaid grats. Less thinking for me! I don't expect to pay additional, except to those not included in the auto grats receiving line.

I am surprised to see so many who say they pay the auto grats as well as additional. If that is the truth among the majority of cruisers, auto grats would never have been made a requirement in the first place.

i think the do mean more. NCL has hero cards that you can fill out. that shows effort made by customer to recognize someone. i'm sure they get some kind of other recognition for the cards vs the internal satisfaction from tips

Royal had something similar called a WOW card, unfortunately they now seem to be a thing of the past.

Simple tipper here. I love the prepaid grats. Less thinking for me! I don't expect to pay additional, except to those not included in the auto grats receiving line.

I am surprised to see so many who say they pay the auto grats as well as additional. If that is the truth among the majority of cruisers, auto grats would never have been made a requirement in the first place.

You can remove auto grats any time....

Have been in excess of 20 cruises mostly with RCI. First stop after boarding is to Guest Relations to cancel auto tips. Not a miserable Scot and give appropriate small tips to who deserves. Worked for over 40 years in service and industry and never received a tip and why should I.

We prefer the current system, as it takes care of all the staff taking care of us. Any crew member associated with our cabin/folio number is paid. We are on the Liberty right now have a great table for two assigned to us in MTD, but we ate in Chops 3 nights. We see our assistant waiter from MTD every day in the 'Jammer, and I am happy she is getting our tips no matter where we eat.