Panama Canal: Inside or Outside Cabin?

Florida Fan

We have booked an outside cabin for a Panama Canal on Infinity next year. However I'm not sure if we should have opted for an inside cabin instead. The inside is half the price of the outside (a saving per person of about $1,450). What would you do?

I would book a suite!:)

Does the outside come with perks? That probably accounts for a large portion of the difference in price. If you like having the beverage package, IME it's usually a better deal to book when they are running a promotion than to book without it and buy it separately.

If you want comfort and don't like the free-for-all to the railings, you made the correct choice. Cruise ship passengers can be pushy and gruff.

If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, then save the money and go for an inside.

This is where the lack of a Promenade Deck on Celebrity ships really bites -- there is so much less public space for a cruise like this. With a veranda you are limited to one side of the ship for viewing [and in the Canal no one knows which side is better until the ship actually enters the queue], but at least you are guaranteed a view for that side. [We also find balconies a great place to dry our "dainties" laundry ...]

The Panama Canal Cruise is fantastic.

We had a balcony - so spent part of our time there. Honestly though, we roamed the ship (including sitting in the hot tubs w/ a cocktail) to see the sights from all different vantage points. If you are questioning the Inside vs. Ocean View specifically in regards to the Canal Passage - my recommendation is the best views are had by moving around the ship. Having said that, ultimately saving $1,450/person is a large amount & would certainly factor into our decision making process.

With an Oceanview we are getting $300 on-board credit and almost $400 in free gratuities. That still leaves a difference of $2,300 total. I know I'll be on the deck for the transit, but I was wondering if a window is worth that much during the rest of the 15-day cruise. I'll give it a few days and then decide.