MS Amsterdam - Aft Cabin 7055

Traveler27

We are in 7083 on the Volendam. How do we get a pair of deck chairs down there for ourselves? Ask our cabin steward? I don't think they're down there as a matter of course, are they?

The only concern I have about a forward or aft cabin are rough seas - I've been on a treadmill in the forward gym before in rough seas and you quite literally go weightless one minute and it's like climbing a hill the next minute. I can only imagine that in a bed you'd be basically off the mattress one minute and then slammed back down into it.

We were just on the Amsterdam, and had a cabin just down the hall (7038). I went down to the aft deck area several times, and there were always loungers, 2 on either side I believe. On the day(s) you are at glaciers, you'll likely have company out on that deck. Otherwise it was frequently empty.

We were in 7056 for 26 days this year. There are 8 loungers on the deck (4 of each side). We never had a problem getting one, and we often had the deck to ourselves.

We are in 7083 on the Volendam. How do we get a pair of deck chairs down there for ourselves? Ask our cabin steward? I don't think they're down there as a matter of course, are they?

The only concern I have about a forward or aft cabin are rough seas - I've been on a treadmill in the forward gym before in rough seas and you quite literally go weightless one minute and it's like climbing a hill the next minute. I can only imagine that in a bed you'd be basically off the mattress one minute and then slammed back down into it.

We asked our cabin steward, and he brought them to us.

We have never had seas so rough that we were in fear of being tossed out of bed. IN rough seas it might be hard walking around your state room or navigating the long hallways. If you want to choose the most stable cabins pick one in the center of the ship at water level. LIke the Main Deck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

If you tried to put one of the beds in the nook where the sofa is... not sure if it would fit.  If it did it would be really tight with little room on either side. Definitely no room for night stand.  Then the sofa would have to go somewhere.  For more room we will have them remove the chair and the little round table.  They just got in our way last time.  We used the sofa as a staging /storage platform. One disadvantage of room 7056 is that the walls don't hold magnets like they do in every other cabin we ever stayed in on HAL.  Magnets will only stick to bathroom door and cabin door.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Double D Cruisers said:

We had a small refrigerator in the cabin.

That doesn't tell us anything until you say what class of of cabin it was, and whether you paid for it. Suites have them, non-suites (e.g. 7056) don't unless you rent one.

Edited by catl331

6 minutes ago, catl331 said:

That doesn't tell us anything until you say what class of of cabin it was, and whether you paid for it. Suites have them, non-suites (e.g. 7056) don't unless you rent one.

It was the cabin mentioned in the thread (7056) We did not Pay for it.

26 minutes ago, Double D Cruisers said:

We did not Pay for it.

Then you were the beneficiary of a failure by the steward to remove it after a previous occupant rented it.

Edited by catl331

20 minutes ago, Pie R Squared said:

Hello Carol, Amsterdam Cabin 7056 is a Category H, maybe I'll benefit too. :classic_tongue:

Maybe. On the R and S class ships, only Suites (BC and higher) come with a standard cooler.  

Being on the Navigation Deck will I have access to the Neptune Lounge too?  That's only for SB and higher cabins.

Edited by catl331

We are booked in Amsterdam Cabin 7056 for the 35 day Incan Empire Cruise followed by the 51 day South Pacific Cruise.  We disembark in San Diego on December 18, 2019.  Pie R Squared, it looks like we will hand over H7056 to you for your Panama Canal Cruise.  We have heard that 7056 did not get updates like USB ports or Flat Panel TVs on the wall.  We were in Cabin 7056 for 50 days in 2015 and it is a bit awkwardly laid out and cramped.  But it is our favorite cabin, and even prefer it to the Veranda Suites we have stayed in.  One precaution.  If you are prone to sea sickness, this cabin can give you a bumpy ride in rough seas.  It is on the highest guest deck at the extreme end of the ship.  For you, the only part of your cruise that has the possibility of rough seas is the  irst day or two out of San Diego. As previously mentioned the Neptune Lounge is reserved for those in the 50 Neptune Suites or the 2 Pinnacle Suites.  On the entire Navigation deck there are only 5 cabins that are not Neptune or Pinnacle Suites. On our 50 day cruise that Neptune Lounge was a lonely place.  Walked by it everyday and almost never saw anyone in there. I hope we both "luck" out again with the "free" refrigerator.  Pretty sure we will.

This was the electrical outlet situation in 7056 in 2015. Most all are on this rather crowded desk. This makeup mirror is pretty useless. We brought a lighted one that attaches (sturdy suction cup) to the bathroom mirror that worked great.  As you see we used this pyramid shaped power strip that allowed us to charge up to 6 things at once. It is made by Accell and also has two ports to plug in USB cables.IMG_0571.thumb.jpg.3e4e3211c9ed316ea0a42d9c64f1f964.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, Double D Cruisers said:

We are booked in Amsterdam Cabin 7056 for the 35 day Incan Empire Cruise followed by the 51 day South Pacific Cruise.  We disembark in San Diego on December 18, 2019.  Pie R Squared, it looks like we will hand over H7056 to you for your Panama Canal Cruise.  We have heard that 7056 did not get updates like USB ports or Flat Panel TVs on the wall.  We were in Cabin 7056 for 50 days in 2015 and it is a bit awkwardly laid out and cramped.  But it is our favorite cabin, and even prefer it to the Veranda Suites we have stayed in.  One precaution.  If you are prone to sea sickness, this cabin can give you a bumpy ride in rough seas.  It is on the highest guest deck at the extreme end of the ship.  For you, the only part of your cruise that has the possibility of rough seas is the  irst day or two out of San Diego. As previously mentioned the Neptune Lounge is reserved for those in the 50 Neptune Suites or the 2 Pinnacle Suites.  On the entire Navigation deck there are only 5 cabins that are not Neptune or Pinnacle Suites. On our 50 day cruise that Neptune Lounge was a lonely place.  Walked by it everyday and almost never saw anyone in there. I hope we both "luck" out again with the "free" refrigerator.  Pretty sure we will.

If you say it is cramped, why is it your favorite cabin? We are in 7055 in August (14 day Alaska).

Location, Location, Location.  However its unique location may be more beneficial in warmer climates (Hawaii, South Pacific, South America, Africa.)   Not sure about an Alaskan Cruise, depends on the temperature.  Anyway, right outside your door there is a wrap around covered deck that encompasses the entire stern of the ship.  Even though it's a "public" deck it is out of the way and on your 14 day cruise almost no one will ever discover it. Most the other Cruisers on your deck 7 are in huge Neptune Suites with their large private decks, so they won't be interested in that rear deck. So it will be your de facto private deck.  You can bring down a couple deck chairs and enjoy watching the prop wash and the 180 degree views.  It is shaded from the hot sun and when it rains you won't get wet.   We were on a 50 day cruise in 7056, almost nobody found the deck until about the 4th week, then people wanted to be there all the time.  There were only ever 4 deck chairs on that deck (2 outside 7055 and 2 outside 7056) and not much room for others. Once those chairs are discovered there will be stiff competition for them.  Your location will usually assure you are the first to grab them.  During the day there will be a  steady stream of "wanderers" checking to see if the chairs are open. The stairway that is partially obstructing your view leads to the pool and the Sea View bar. After we got to know our bartender he would deliver our Bloody Mary's to us on the 'At Sea' afternoons.  For us the location benefit outweighs the minor negatives of the room.   For others it may not.  You can research 'Secret Cabins' and see what others have said.  The Volendam and Zaandam are sister ships that share these unique cabins.  Most have said when they get on board there are no deck chairs on that deck.  You have to take the initiative to get them there.  I was responsible for all 4 deck chairs.  First I just brought up our 2 chairs but later brought up 2 for 7055 after competition increased. It lessened the demand for our two.

IMG_6635.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpg

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Double D Cruisers said:

Location, Location, Location.  However its unique location may be more beneficial in warmer climates (Hawaii, South Pacific, South America, Africa.)   Not sure about an Alaskan Cruise, depends on the temperature.  Anyway, right outside your door there is a wrap around covered deck that encompasses the entire stern of the ship.  Even though it's a "public" deck it is out of the way and on your 14 day cruise almost no one will ever discover it. Most the other Cruisers on your deck 7 are in huge Neptune Suites with their large private decks, so they won't be interested in that rear deck. So it will be your de facto private deck.  You can bring down a couple deck chairs and enjoy watching the prop wash and the 180 degree views.  It is shaded from the hot sun and when it rains you won't get wet.   We were on a 50 day cruise in 7056, almost nobody found the deck until about the 4th week, then people wanted to be there all the time.  There were only ever 4 deck chairs on that deck (2 outside 7055 and 2 outside 7056) and not much room for others. Once those chairs are discovered there will be stiff competition for them.  Your location will usually assure you are the first to grab them.  During the day there will be a  steady stream of "wanderers" checking to see if the chairs are open. The stairway that is partially obstructing your view leads to the pool and the Sea View bar. After we got to know our bartender he would deliver our Bloody Mary's to us on the 'At Sea' afternoons.  For us the location benefit outweighs the minor negatives of the room.   For others it may not.  You can research 'Secret Cabins' and see what others have said.  The Volendam and Zaandam are sister ships that share these unique cabins.  Most have said when they get on board there are no deck chairs on that deck.  You have to take the initiative to get them there.  I was responsible for all 4 deck chairs.  First I just brought up our 2 chairs but later brought up 2 for 7055 after competition increased. It lessened the demand for our two.

IMG_6635.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpg

Thanks! I knew about the deck right outside and heard it wasn't used much. That appealed to us too! So if there are no chairs you can go take them from the Lido deck?

2 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Thanks! I knew about the deck right outside and heard it wasn't used much. That appealed to us too! So if there are no chairs you can go take them from the Lido deck?

Yes, they remove any chairs from Deck 7 before the start of the new cruise.  You can get chairs from the lido pool area, or from deck 6 just down the stairs from you.  Deck 6 has a similar deck situation but that deck is not very sheltered , is much wider, and has room for a whole bunch of deck chairs.  It was quite crowded down there most the time.  We also snagged a small round table from the pool area. Maybe 18" diameter.  We set it between our deck chairs.  Perfect to set drinks and other things on so you don't have to set them on the deck.  The picture below was taken on a stormy day heading toward Bora Bora. We stayed nice and dry.

IMG_8709.jpg

21 hours ago, Double D Cruisers said:

Yes, they remove any chairs from Deck 7 before the start of the new cruise.  You can get chairs from the lido pool area, or from deck 6 just down the stairs from you.  Deck 6 has a similar deck situation but that deck is not very sheltered , is much wider, and has room for a whole bunch of deck chairs.  It was quite crowded down there most the time.  We also snagged a small round table from the pool area. Maybe 18" diameter.  We set it between our deck chairs.  Perfect to set drinks and other things on so you don't have to set them on the deck.  The picture below was taken on a stormy day heading toward Bora Bora. We stayed nice and dry.

IMG_8709.jpg

Thanks again! I probably wouldn't think about getting them from another deck, but since they don't seem to mind, I definitely will!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to say that I am still an active member of this "secret" cult. My next cruises are booked as:

• July 2020 Amsterdam 7055 for a B2B Montreal-Boston-Montreal, and
  • Dec 2020 Volendam 7086 for Half Panama (my exact room for Alaska a few years back).

28 minutes ago, Cruise4food said:

Just wanted to say that I am still an active member of this "secret" cult. My next cruises are booked as:

• July 2020 Amsterdam 7055 for a B2B Montreal-Boston-Montreal, and
  • Dec 2020 Volendam 7086 for Half Panama (my exact room for Alaska a few years back).

I'm on the Volendam in 7083 in September 2020 (Alaska).  I picked that cabin specifically for the aft deck.  I appreciate all the comments and photos about these aft cabins.  Halfacts.com is another excellent resource.  Enjoy your cruises!