New Passport Cell Phone Update

richfret

Doing the 2/18/2017 Conquest cruise and got an E-mail from Carnival regarding a new Passport Update that will reduce timing at debarkation. You install an APP on your cell phone which will substitute the writing of the traditional paper method of a customs declaration. I won't go into all the details but it is relatively easy to do and does not take much time. This is not to say you are required to have a Passport for most Caribbean cruises but it is another reason to have a Passport for a cruise. I am quite sure others will provide more details who have gone through the process.

I've heard that Customs is balking at the app and that they prefer the paper.

Love the way rumors are spread on CC. it is a Customs App. We have been using it in airports for over a year - many times - no one has ever balked at it.

I have it installed and all of our information entered. I hope it will make life easier debarking at Prt. Everglades. Hopefully other ports have it within the next year'ish so I can use it again. I am a techie person so I much more prefer digital to paper. I have an app for everything on my phone and it makes life much easier.

The people in the government balk and what the government does? NEVER :)

Many people get used to doing things a certain way and wish they would never change. If in the end it makes our lives easier I'm all for it though. Wonder if/when it will be rolled out to all the ports.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but smart phones, just like computers, can be hacked. Anybody worry about that? Having your passport out on the interweb?

Nope. Not 1 bit. You give your passport information to Carnival (over a computer), and your passport information is stored on their computers, as well as CBP computers.

Nope. Not 1 bit. You give your passport information to Carnival (over a computer), and your passport information is stored on their computers, as well as CBP computers.

I am thinking more if your cell phone is stolen. Obviously, my phone has a security setting to unlock it, but I am sure that can be disable pretty easily.

If would have my phone stolen in an other country, and not have international service, I could not cancel the phone quick enough before someone could get info out of it.

It's just one less thing for me to worry about if I carry my passport with me anyway.

I am thinking more if your cell phone is stolen. Obviously, my phone has a security setting to unlock it, but I am sure that can be disable pretty easily.

If would have my phone stolen in an other country, and not have international service, I could not cancel the phone quick enough before someone could get info out of it.

It's just one less thing for me to worry about if I carry my passport with me anyway.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally my phone requires security to get into it. (Pattern + fingerprint). Plus the app itself requires a PIN to open it.

On that note, if someone were to steal my phone (which would be unlikely since it doesn't leave my pocket and I am very aware of my surroundings) I would immediately do a remote wipe/remote lock on it from a computer.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally my phone requires security to get into it. (Pattern + fingerprint). Plus the app itself requires a PIN to open it.

On that note, if someone were to steal my phone (which would be unlikely since it doesn't leave my pocket and I am very aware of my surroundings) I would immediately do a remote wipe/remote lock on it from a computer.

Not to mention even if they WERE able to get that information from the passport app, it'd be hard for them to clone that information to the RFID chip that's in your passport. :cool:

Cool. I am not tech savvy, so sounds good to me.

I have been watching that new show, "The Hunted" lately. I am now scared to even flush the toilet now for "they" will know what I had for breakfast.

We tried to use it at Port Everglades & weren't able to do so. Apparently, only one line utilizes it and there was no one manning the line.

Same thing happened to us last month returning on the Conquest . Luckily I filled out the paper declaration form as a backup plan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app