Celebrity Customer Service -On Land - so frustrating

bhcruiser

I had to cancel our sailing on the Silhouette tomorrow due to a sudden, unexpected, very serious, family member's illness and hospitalization. I called Celebrity customer service on Friday, yesterday, and the agent who answered was so rude....telling me I had called the wrong place, not a bit of empathy or even an I'm sorry or a message of hope you will make a new reservation at some time or a thank you for letting me know.(she did look up our reservation, but indicated there was no point of me calling them). I felt beat up on top of what we are dealing with. I told her I was calling to let them know our room - concierge class - would not be used, thinking I was being helpful. We have been on 4 excellent Celebrity Cruises before, but between reading about service going down and experiencing this, we may be looking for another cruise line when we decide to take another cruise .Note, I was not even asking for any refund...... end of rant

So sorry you have had to cancel your cruise. I hope your loved one is improving in health. Sincere best wishes.

It is such a shame you felt the Celebrity contact unsympathetic....Perhaps he/she just didn't know what to say....

We have always found shore side staff to be polite, friendly and helpful, so don't condemn them all by your one bad interaction and I certainly would not let it influence your next cruise choice.

Once again, so sorry for your present situation, I know how low I felt last year when I had to cancel a cruise for health issues. I took the only remedy possible...I booked one for this year, nine weeks to go until we sail! Sincere best wishes.

I too am sorry about your situation.....but to expect sympathy or empathy from a phone representative is not very realistic. Not "everyone" cares what someone is going through. They are just there to do their job. Period. I would only expect the phone rep to help with the process of cancellation, not seeking empathy. I wish you all the best and hope everything turns out well with you and your family.

I too am sorry about your situation.....but to expect sympathy or empathy from a phone representative is not very realistic. Not "everyone" cares what someone is going through. They are just there to do their job. Period. I would only expect the phone rep to help with the process of cancellation, not seeking empathy. I wish you all the best and hope everything turns out well with you and your family.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Good customer service identifies with the customer. It would have been very simple for the CS agent to merely say "I am sorry for your situation, unfortunately this is the wrong department. Please let me connect you or give you the number for the right department. I hope that when this is resolved you will be able to vacation with us again."

I hope everything works out well for your family bhcruiser.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Good customer service identifies with the customer. It would have been very simple for the CS agent to merely say "I am sorry for your situation, unfortunately this is the wrong department. Please let me connect you or give you the number for the right department. I hope that when this is resolved you will be able to vacation with us again."

I hope everything works out well for your family bhcruiser.

I'm with long time lurker on this one. First, I too hope everything works out for your family bhcruiser. Second, it's not at all too much to expect empathy and superb customer service from the CS agent. That's what Customer service is all about - identifying and aiding the customer. Celebrity does a fantastic job with customer service on board the ship. I don't have experience with shore side CS so can't comment, but I would expect it should be the same.

Of course, everybody sometimes has a bad day, or makes a mistake, so I also agree with chemmo - don't let this tarnish the overall Celebrity experience.

I totally agree with the OP. A simple 'I'm so sorry, let me connect you to the right department' should be the absolute minimum expectation for Celebrity's customer service rep.

Would it be so hard to at least show some basic compassion, while they take the OP's money and resell the room to increase their profit?

Sad for the family issue that occurred requiring you to stay home.

I believe it is at the 72 hour before sailing point that any open cabins can not be sold, due to the passenger list that has to be generated to give to the Authorities.

This is no reason for the CSR to be short, but they may have been dealing with a similar issue in their life that day. Just as they didn't know your situation.:(

And if this is a reason to no longer experience another of the "4 excellent Celebrity Cruises" you have sailed, that is another sad thing.

FOI, did you book thru an Agent or direct with Celebrity?

You called to cancel your cruise and that is what happened and, IMHO, that is all you should expect.

Really? Well you're BOTH wrong!

The LEAST I expect is a little compassion. Do I expect them to care? No, not really, but ANYONE who works for the company represents that company, from the CEO down to the person cleaning the restrooms. Each and every one has a bearing on how the customer sees the company and, as we see in this case, the OP is already saying they may not sail X again! Why? Simply because someone on the phone was rude to them! No business will survive with a couldn't-care-less attitude and this employee should be chastised for treating someone this way!

It's obvious to a blind and deaf cat that the OP is upset. Upset that they will miss their long-awaited vacation as well as the obvious stress of a sick relative. There is absolutely no need for an X employee to add to that by being belligerent on the phone!

... Simply because someone on the phone was rude to them! No business will survive with a couldn't-care-less attitude and this employee should be chastised for treating someone this way!

Seriously? The employee did what he/she was supposed to do: look up the reservation, notice (this is what I assume happened) the opp booked through a travel agent and refer the opp there. Expecting grief counsel or support from a call center rep that is probably targeted on calls closed is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seriously? The employee did what he/she was supposed to do: look up the reservation, notice (this is what I assume happened) the opp booked through a travel agent and refer the opp there. Expecting grief counsel or support from a call center rep that is probably targeted on calls closed is ridiculous.

I don't believe the OP was expecting grief counseling or support, just a little bit of common sense, compassion, kindness and empathy. This is not unrealistic to expect from a Cruise Line offering "Modern Luxury".

According to Wikipedia, "Customer service is the provision of service to customers before, during and after a purchase. The perception of success of such interactions is dependent on employees "who can adjust themselves to the personality of the guest"

So, when we contact Celebrity, are we contacting a call centre, or a customer service agent? I think there's a difference.

IMHO, when I'm spending thousands of dollars on a luxury vacation, I'm expecting superior customer service at all stages, much more than just a 'call centre' concept. I feel Celebrity employees go out of their way to satisfy you on-board, why is it unreasonable to expect the same from Shore?

In your opinion, not mine. I wouldn't call customer service looking for empathy, I would just call them to do their job.

Is there something wrong with the both of you?

Wow!

We're talking about common decency here, people! It is what I expect from ANYONE, let alone someone in the service industry!

No-one is looking for grief counseling, just to be treated like a human being. Anyway, the customer should NEVER be left feeling that the company doesn't care, which is what this person did. If you can't see that, then don't just give up cruising, give up ALL interaction with others!

As we see on these boards all the time, more people post about bad experiences than good ones. Chances are, if the OP had been treated right, we'd never even know it, but we sure DO know they were treated badly!

Both of you please do not bother to reply. There's no way you'll convince many one this board that you're right!

Having, in my former professional life, managing four call centers handling 1MM plus enrolled customers, I would be appalled at the response the customer service rep gave the OP.

She/he should have expressed his/her sympathy at the customer's situation and offered to connect her with the correct department, or offer to give her the right number (unless, she/he had the ability and authority to take the information herself/himself and do what was necessary).

No excuses whatsoever. Good customer service training also includes this sort of thing. Its the difference between having a person who helps and a machine that merely executes.

I had to cancel our sailing on the Silhouette tomorrow due to a sudden, unexpected, very serious, family member's illness and hospitalization. I called Celebrity customer service on Friday, yesterday, and the agent who answered was so rude....telling me I had called the wrong place, not a bit of empathy or even an I'm sorry or a message of hope you will make a new reservation at some time or a thank you for letting me know.(she did look up our reservation, but indicated there was no point of me calling them). I felt beat up on top of what we are dealing with. I told her I was calling to let them know our room - concierge class - would not be used, thinking I was being helpful. We have been on 4 excellent Celebrity Cruises before, but between reading about service going down and experiencing this, we may be looking for another cruise line when we decide to take another cruise .Note, I was not even asking for any refund...... end of rant

I am sorry about your serious family members situation. The pain of the family issue and the disappointment of your cancelled cruise must be very stressful. It was very thoughtful of you to let Celebrity know even though you had no expectation of a refund or rebooking.

I apologize that the customer service representative of my favorite cruise line did not handled the situation better. IMO you have every right to be disappointed.

Hopefully your family member will recover and you will return to cruising. You did not say whether you had insurance to cover your financial loss, but if not , you should consider it next time. I would not discount Celebrity as a future option as I am convinced that this particular rep's skills are not typical.

Best of luck.

Sorry for the illness of your family member. It is sad and very frustrating to have to cancel a cruise under these circumstances. I hope things improve for your family member.

Customer service everywhere is just not why it used to be, but there are still some very good representatives out there who do go above and beyond...don't let one sour your taste for Celebrity or any company. I can tell you that corporate is wonderful; they really do care about their customers and go that extra mile to assist in certain situations...this is my personal experience after dealing with a supervisor whom I felt did not positively represent the Celebrity product and customer service standards.

Edited by Lastdance

Wow!

We're talking about common decency here, people! It is what I expect from ANYONE, let alone someone in the service industry!

Nothing wrong with me, I just don't feel that a customer service rep should be forced to do anything other than their job, if that is what they choose to do. Would it be nice if they showed compassion to every caller, yes, but do I think customer service reps should be forced to discuss or comment on someone's personal life/issues, no.

When I go to cancel an appointment, etc. I just tell them I want to cancel and don't go into my private business as to why I'm cancelling it. We all have differing opinions, as to what we expect and what we tell folks and what we want in return from them, unfortunately not everyone thinks the same way.

Wow!

Your post is rude and quite frankly offensive. I've never questioned the sanity of someone disagreeing with me. What a strange way to have a discussion - insult people because they don't agree with you. I guess it's the times.

Surely an 'I am sorry to hear that. I can assist you in cancelling' is part of a normal training patter that assures the customer know they've been listened to and dealt with. Doesn't involve must effort or thought and should just roll off the tongue. And I expect such a phrase is simply part of their job.

I had to cancel through my illness with Princess and they responded exactly as above and very well handled.

"I can assist you in cancelling" is part of a normal training patter that assures the customer know they've been listened to and dealt with.

Not if the opp booked via a travel agent. Then referring the opp there is the correct response, even if interpreted as cold and heartless.

Not if the opp booked via a travel agent. Then referring the opp there is the correct response, even if interpreted as cold and heartless.

Is that what was meant by 'wrong place' - sorry - I didn't connect the dots.

I still believe the response 'I am sorry to hear that but you will need to contact your TA' isn't all that difficult either.

On the other hand, it's an anonymous voice and the issue is the relatives health and maybe the op somewhat has taken their sadness/anger/stress out on the non reactions of the operator.

It is always interesting to see people argue, when we have absolutely no idea what the customer service rep said or did not say. Basically all we have is the OP saying that they thought they were rude.

If the OP booked through a travel agent then the CSR would have been correct in saying that they could not help her and that she needed to contact her TA.

Considering the situation the CSR may have handled the situation is a completely professional manner and the perceived rude behavior may have been perception due to the OP's frame of mind. We do not know and never will.

I am the original poster....I did not expect empathy or sympathy or grief counseling.....just politeness, and a referral of which department then to call. We do have (independently booked)travel insurance, and we expect to be able to cruise again, even have a cruise scheduled for this fall. I just had the impression she would have preferred I not call Celebrity at all. My other option was to just not show up and I didn't think that was right. A "thank you for letting us know and please call this number instead" ("I'm sorry you have to cancel" would have been a bonus comment) would have been way better than what she said. As they say, being nice is free. I did eventually make another call and let someone else there know we weren't sailing this time.