Sailing Freedom March 4, passport expires in 2 months. Need to renew?

trajan

We are sailing on the Freedom March 4, stops in San Juan, Basseterre, St Martin, St Kitts. I will be coming from Canada. Just realized today my passport expires in 2 months. I have a Nexus card that is good for 2 more years. Do I need to renew? Asking because due to circumstances renewing right now would be difficult.

None of the Caribbean countries on your itinerary require an extended passport expiration date for cruise ship visitors. As long as your passport is valid for the duration of the cruise, you will be fine.

I am a U.S. Citizen traveling on Freedom on March 18. My 14-year-old daughter's passport expires in May. RCCL told me that her passport must be valid for 6 months after the sail date, so I need to bring her birth certificate with us. I don't think that there is any law requiring the passport be valid for 6 months longer than the cruise. It seems RCCL just "recommends" that in case something happens while you are overseas requiring you to stay longer, you will have a valid passport to get back when you need to. That seems a bit ridiculous to me. If something happens while in a Caribbean country requiring me to stay for longer than 2 months, then getting a new passport from the consulate/embassy is likely the least of my problems. That being said, I will still bring the birth certificate with us.

I am a U.S. Citizen traveling on Freedom on March 18. My 14-year-old daughter's passport expires in May. RCCL told me that her passport must be valid for 6 months after the sail date, so I need to bring her birth certificate with us. I don't think that there is any law requiring the passport be valid for 6 months longer than the cruise. It seems RCCL just "recommends" that in case something happens while you are overseas requiring you to stay longer, you will have a valid passport to get back when you need to. That seems a bit ridiculous to me. If something happens while in a Caribbean country requiring me to stay for longer than 2 months, then getting a new passport from the consulate/embassy is likely the least of my problems. That being said, I will still bring the birth certificate with us.

Fully agree with you!

Just as an FYI you can't use your Nexus card as ID to board the ship. Being Canadian you have to provide your passport.
Am I correct that Canadians can enter the US with just a Nexus card (no passport required)? I am basing this on:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html

Is the NEXUS card a WHTI compliant document?

Yes, it is a WHTI compliant document for entry into the United States.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a U.S. law that requires all travellers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport or other acceptable secure document, such as a NEXUS card, when travelling to or through the U.S. from within the western hemisphere...

If that is correct, does that apply only to surface travel (not air travel)?

Again, if above is correct, it seems weird that you can get into the US with just a Nexus card, but cannot exit the US onto a RCI ship with it. Is this just RCI's screwy rule?

Thom

who s trying to understand something which perhaps has no rational basis

Am I correct that Canadians can enter the US with just a Nexus card (no passport required)? I am basing this on:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a U.S. law that requires all travellers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport or other acceptable secure document, such as a NEXUS card, when travelling to or through the U.S. from within the western hemisphere...

Again, if above is correct, it seems weird that you can get into the US with just a Nexus card, but cannot exit the US onto a RCI ship with it. Is this just RCI's screwy rule?

Thom

It's a good question and I had been wondering the same thing. My guess is that since nexus does not work for other countries requiring the passport for departure is just a way of insuring you have it in case something comes up during the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thom

It's not a question of exiting the US, it's a question of entering foreign countries during your cruise. While cruise passengers enjoy a more relaxed entry to these foreign countries than do airline passengers, cruise lines are responsible for ensuring that each passenger meets the entry requirements for all destinations on the itinerary. NEXUS cards are only valid for travel (land, sea or air) between the US and Canada, and holders must be pre-approved by both countries.

Passengers embarking on an Alaskan or Canada - New England cruise can use a NEXUS card.

It's not a question of exiting the US, it's a question of entering foreign countries during your cruise. While cruise passengers enjoy a more relaxed entry to these foreign countries than do airline passengers, cruise lines are responsible for ensuring that each passenger meets the entry requirements for all destinations on the itinerary. NEXUS cards are only valid for travel (land, sea or air) between the US and Canada, and holders must be pre-approved by both countries.

Passengers embarking on an Alaskan or Canada - New England cruise can use a NEXUS card.

NEXUS cards are WHTI compliant. NEXUS cards (like US Global Entry) require more vetting than US issued WHTI compliant cards (eg US Passport card or WHTI compliant Enhanced Driver's Licenses [issued only by a few states]). US issued WHTI compliant cards are sufficient to get you on a cruise, so this is not making sense to me (but there is a lot about travel that doesn't make sense).

NEXUS cards are WHTI compliant. NEXUS cards (like US Global Entry) require more vetting than US issued WHTI compliant cards (eg US Passport card or WHTI compliant Enhanced Driver's Licenses [issued only by a few states]). US issued WHTI compliant cards are sufficient to get you on a cruise, so this is not making sense to me (but there is a lot about travel that doesn't make sense).

The WHTI is a joint Department of State (DOS) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) initiative designed to strengthen US border security while facilitating entry into the United States. In some cases - NEXUS is one - there was recognition of the benefits in expanding the program to include another country based on a reciprocal vetting arrangement. There are very stringent requirements, there are no other countries party to the NEXUS program and currently no other countries accept NEXUS cards for entry. What documentation other countries require for entry is up to them. If they decide to accept enhanced drivers licenses or passport cards but not NEXUS cards, that is their prerogative and subject to bi- and multilateral government agreements.

Note that none of the Trusted Traveler Programs (Global Entry, NEXUS, FAST, SENTRI) under the WHTI include countries other than the US, Canada and Mexico.

...What documentation other countries require for entry is up to them. If they decide to accept enhanced drivers licenses or passport cards but not NEXUS cards, that is their prerogative and subject to bi- and multilateral government agreements.

Note that none of the Trusted Traveler Programs (Global Entry, NEXUS, FAST, SENTRI) under the WHTI include countries other than the US, Canada and Mexico.

I totally agree that each and every country controls their own entry requirements. BUT have all the Caribbean countries actually formally accepted use of US WHTI compliant documents? I have not been able to find documentation that any Caribbean country has done so (I'm not say that they haven't, just that I can't find any proof that they have). I suspect (no, I haven't proven this) that Caribbean countries are merely allowing cruise in-transit passengers document free entry provided they are citizens of countries that otherwise would be visa free.

I find your last paragraph misleading as Global Entry membership is open (see: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/eligibility ) to:

• Citizens of Colombia
  • Citizens of United Kingdom
  • Citizens of Germany
  • Citizens of the Netherlands
  • Citizens of Panama
  • Citizens of Singapore
  • Citizens of South Korea
  • Mexican nationals

AND In New Zealand (hardly in the Western Hemisphere) there are actually US Global Entry lines at Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch International Airports https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/international-arrangements/new-zealand/us-global-entry-members

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

They are saying a valid passport might be no good but a birth certificate should be brought just in case. Just how does a birth certificate prove you are the person presenting it compared to a valid passport. How is the birth certificate going to help you get home if you stay more than 2 months any faster than a passport that has just expired?

I wish they would train their reps better so they would cut down on misinformation causing pax undue angst.

Bill

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I wish they would train their reps better so they would cut down on misinformation causing pax undue angst.

Bill

I don't think it is the training of their reps that is the problem. The RCCL website says:

"Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents. The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise."

In this case, it seems their reps are saying exactly what the cruise line is telling them. Note it says "strongly recommend" and not "required" that the passport be valid for six months. The birth certificate policy isn't RCCL policy. US Customs and Border Patrol allows children under 16 to travel without any photo identification with only a birth certificate on cruises that begin and end in the same US port. It does make no sense though. I could use the same birth certificate with different children on every cruise i take, as long as the child looks to be about the same age as the birth certificate says. It would seem that a photo ID should be required. Anyone over 16 is required to have the birth certificate as well as a government issued photo ID. I guess children under 16 usually don't have a government issued ID.