Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

If you want to tip someone to save a chair for you then I guess that is your perogative....however how long are they supposed to save the chairs for you?....and do they actually save them by puuting them aside or by putting towels on them?

I tip them on day #1 and ask to save 2 chairs for me on the upper deck near the stairs/bar. They put 2 NCL towels on my chair and tie one of them in a knot at the top -- this way i know that the deckhand reserved and not another guest. I wont take anyone's things off a chair. I am at the pool from @9-4 all day....i leave for lunch for @ 45 mins and never had a problem with my chairs :) I love the pool deck - always music going, kids laughing, loud, windy....and I love taking quick dips in the pool and hitting those cold shower blasts.

I think the chair hogs are the ones that block them from 6am til 5 pm and only sit there for an hour or so. I am a chair hog with my actual bootie sitting in the chair, in/out pool all day type of chair hog :)

• 8 months later...

Newbie here. Sorry for asking. It seems the solution to finding a chair near the pool is to sit on the upper deck? Having read the entire thread, that's what it seems like to me. Is there a bar on the upper deck, or is it only by the pool? Or does someone walk around taking drink orders?

Not for long if you moved my personal property. If it came down to it, you would have security take care of you and do everything I could to have charges field against you if even the slightest item of my personal property were damaged or missing. I'd do that no matter what the relative size of the other person is as that is all irrelevant. being fat does not men you can not abide by the rules.

If your personal property was so important than maybe you shouldn't leave it unattended . What gets me us people leave books magazines suntan lotion scarves etc instead of just throwing them in the garbage themselves. It's so annoying having to clean up after other people.

Ha! I'll move what I want ... law of sea: biggest, baddest man wins. Go call security, but I'm sitting in the chair.

One side you have the chair hogger and the other side a person who will do whatever he wants.. fight breaks out between the two and both are arrested and removed from the ship.. PRICELESS!.. Certainly no shortage of stupid out there :rolleyes:

People just need to be respectful of others. Do not "secure'" chairs and then make it a staff problem. If people think they can throw down their stuff and walk away for hours, then they just proved they have no respect for others. This thread has broken my rib laughing!

Initially, it is not a staff issue or problem. The adults can figure it out. You leave your towel on the seat unattended past 30 minutes and I want that seat, then your "stuff" will be relocated in order to free the chair for the comfort of my arse. When you approach me to shriek, then go get security and we can tell our story. If you choose self-help, then we dance.

There are no chair hogs; it is only the weak that allow them to be while they complain online.

You leave your towel on the seat unattended past 30 minutes and I want that seat, then your "stuff" will be relocated...
How did you arbitrarily decide on 30 minutes (even though the NCL dailies state 60 minutes)?:rolleyes:

Why not 15, 7, or 2 minutes?

Does the same "I want that seat..." mentality (term used very loosely) apply to shows or dinner tables?

How did you arbitrarily decide on 30 minutes (even though the NCL dailies state 60 minutes)?:rolleyes:

Why not 15, 7, or 2 minutes?

Does the same "I want that seat..." mentality (term used very loosely) apply to shows or dinner tables?

Dinner ... I make reservations. If I need three seats for a show and people choose to sit a seat apart in the row, then I will ask them to move over to make room.

So you condone Chair Hogs? Simple respect doesn't factor in? Sure..will find another chair, but people need to be more respectful and not so self absorbed. My children were on Disney Cruise. Packed. We just wanted to watch movie but seats were "flagged" with personal belongings. Lots of seats for Movie opened up when those self absorbed people had previously claimed their territory and never showed up. Bottom Line: Be respectful to others

Actually it is not a problem at all. All you have to do is get to the pool before the chairs are taken. It is a staff issue as the underlying matter is an NCL rule (not a "I am fat so I can do what I want" rule. Touch my stuff when I am not in violation of any rules and it will be security that you have to deal with, not me. Believe me they hit harder than you no matter how fat you are.

Friend: I am large, not fat. Have a good cruise, but that seat is mine :)

Dinner ... I make reservations.

If you have a 8pm reservation and somebody who arrived at 7:45 has a window seat, if that person goes to the restroom, do you take his better table while he's gone?

If I need three seats for a show and people choose to sit a seat apart in the row, then I will ask them to move over to make room.

If a couple is sitting front and center and the husband goes to the bar for a drink, do you sit in his chair next to his wife?

So you condone Chair Hogs?

No, not at all. Anyone who leaves unattended items for over an hour is wrong.

Simple respect doesn't factor in? Sure..will find another chair, but people need to be more respectful and not so self absorbed.

The people who simply find a chair and go for a swim have done nothing wrong. The people who move other people's items are wrong/disrespectful.

My children were on Disney Cruise. Packed. We just wanted to watch movie but seats were "flagged" with personal belongings. Lots of seats for Movie opened up when those self absorbed people had previously claimed their territory and never showed up. Bottom Line: Be respectful to others

Those people were wrong, no debate there.

People are using the words "chair hog" whenever they see items on a chair. Not every item is wrongfully there. Guests moving items that belong to others are always wrong.

Don’t defend chair hogs; they are inconsiderate cruisers. I don’t care if it’s a towel or a book or any other personal item. Let an attendant know the problem and give him or her the chair hogs property to hold. Their cruise reservation doesn’t include unlimited lounge chair reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don’t defend chair hogs; they are inconsiderate cruisers. I don’t care if it’s a towel or a book or any other personal item. Let an attendant know the problem and give him or her the chair hogs property to hold. Their cruise reservation doesn’t include unlimited lounge chair reservations.
If "Jerry" walks to the pool deck and finds an empty lounger and "Jerry" puts his towel and book in the chair, is it wrong for "Jerry" to go for a swim?

If you arrive 5 minutes later, would you take "Jerry's" items, hand them to an attendant and then take "Jerry's" chair?

Before answering, remember that "Jerry" can be gone (pool, bar, buffet) for up to an hour without violating NCL's chair use policy.

I do swim, so like a chair near the pool for my sarong, sun glasses and book. I don't usually stay around long afterwards - not into sunbaking.

My big gripe is seeing people leave, and I mean obviously leaving not to return (you can tell), who leave their used towels on the chairs. To newcomers it still looks like the chairs are occupied. So please, put your towel in the laundry bin.

Sad that some are so dense to be that way. Make me laugh and think of the lyrics to the John Prine song...

I know a man who's got a lot to lose

A pretty nice fella, kinda confused

Got muscles in his head that've never been used

He thinks he owns half of this town

LOL (I am bigger than you are so i am right)

Good way to end this thread.

Newbie here. Sorry for asking. It seems the solution to finding a chair near the pool is to sit on the upper deck? Having read the entire thread, that's what it seems like to me. Is there a bar on the upper deck, or is it only by the pool? Or does someone walk around taking drink orders?

Unfortunately the problem with adding onto an older thread, as opposed to starting a new thread, is that people will read the old original post, get bored reading through the responses, then post a reply without ever reading your new question. Always best to just start a new thread.

As far as your question, yes, we usually get chairs on the upper deck. There are usually plenty of chairs in the shade on the pool deck or plenty of chairs in the sun on the upper deck. Chairs in the sun on the pool deck are limited. As far as bars, it depends on the ship configuration, but yes. There’s usually a pool bar, an aft bar, and a outdoor bar on the upper deck. There are a few servers walking around but I found it far quicker to get my own drinks.

Unfortunately the problem with adding onto an older thread, as opposed to starting a new thread, is that people will read the old original post, get bored reading through the responses, then post a reply without ever reading your new question. Always best to just start a new thread.

I agree with you. The problem is that some people always has to give the comment "Why start a new thread about this, use the searchfunction".

As said, I agree with you and think that it's better to start a new thread.

I said bring it to the attention of the attendant. He or she should have an idea if Jerry is taking a dip or a bathroom break or has been gone for an extended period. There are a limited number of chairs for use by thousands of passengers. Jerry shouldn’t leave his manners on the dock.