Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

Easy fix NCL. RENT THE CHAIRS. NCL seems to think it is OK that someone with an Unlimited Beverage Plan should pay $3 for water or coffee. I believe NCL would really like the idea that pool chairs cost $3 per hour.

This is a FANTASTIC IDEA!!!

I hadn't even thought about this before, but it is surprising actually that it isn't implemented already. It is that rare instance when the public would actually be DESIRING to pay more. Really the pool chair issues on cruises are very similar to the pool chair issues at Vegas pools. And I have noted a very similar approach to both.

Each year on the cruise (NCL Getaway or Escape) I notice a pretty good number of people saving chairs around 630-7am while I am running on the track. Most of the first few rows of chairs near the pool and bar will be taken. Similar thing in Vegas. When Aria pool opened at 9am last month, there was a line of people waiting to get in, and that initial group staked out most of the chairs adjacent to the pools. In both cases the vast majority of these people did not stay. They went and got breakfast, but returned early.

I notice on both the really large masses arrive around 11ish, and that is when any good seat in the sun is hard to come by for even a group of 2. Unlike on the cruise ships, at Aria they have maybe 1/2 of the pool-side prime seating marked off with ropes and reserved signs. They are renting these regular chairs for $50+ per day, more for daybeds and cabanas.

The cruise line would be smart to do this as well. The worst offending chair hogs can pay $100+/day for 2 people to have prime chairs available all day for use at their leisure, minimizing the impact on pool attendees not saving chairs. Pool chair "savers" would be told they have the option of renting chairs if they wish to hold them while gone. This would allow the cruise line to implement a stricter standard on chair saving. It would create extra revenue and alleviate the issue of dealing with chair drama for NCL. It would create more chair space for people actually staying at the pool. It would give those wanting to save chairs the opportunity to clearly reserve prime spots by paying a premium.

Great idea Dave!

Whats worse than the people who save seats are the ones who leave just ONE empty seat between them and the person/group next to them or (for example) a group of four who see six empty seats together and they sit in the middle four.
Leaving a seat between someone and another person, is not any worse than someone saving seats, but manners would dictate that one doesn't do either. If the group of four wanted to sit together, surley they could have gotten their earlier so they could sit in those seats. It amazes me how many people look for reasons to ruin their own cruise. Edited by NLH Arizona

Whats worse than the people who save seats are the ones who leave just ONE empty seat between them and the person/group next to them or (for example) a group of four who see six empty seats together and they sit in the middle four.
What if the group of 4 sat there first and those who arrived later left the empty space on the left and right of the group of 4?

In either case, a couple could ask that the group slide over 1 spot which would allow the couple to sit together....no guarantee that they will, though.

There weren't any others. OOPS NOTHING!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Let's face it, those chair hogs that save seats by the pool or in the theatre really don't care about anyone else but themselves. If there are no seats available and someone is saving some, just sit down in one of those seats and if they cause a fuss, call over a crew member, who will tell them they can't save seats.

Let's face it, those chair hogs that save seats by the pool or in the theatre really

don't care about anyone else but themselves.

If there are no seats available and someone is saving some, just sit down in one of those seats and if they cause a fuss,

call over a crew member, who will tell them they can't save seats.

LOL Good Luck finding a crew member.

You are on your own.

"Crew members" don't care about anything but selling drinks.

Edited by $hip$hape

And who gets to define large? If I am sailing with a group of 20 and 8 of us decide to go to a show, that is not large. Whats worse than the people who save seats are the ones who leave just ONE empty seat between them and the person/group next to them or (for example) a group of four who see six empty seats together and they sit in the middle four.

I get your point, but groups should have some say where they sit. You can end up sitting too far one way or another.

POT - KETTLE - BLACK

They care enough to get to the theater in time to secure seats for their entire group. Truthfully I DON'T when you decide to show up. If you get here before me you get to pick seats before me and you get to pick form the seats that are not already taken when you get there.

So if you get up at any point to grab a drink or go to the bathroom anyone can take your seat since you are not in it and it is being saved? Let me guess, "that is different"...

If the group gets to the theater early to get seats then sure, no prob. One person getting up here and there for a bathroom or drink is understandable. The issue is when only one person in the group cares enough to show up early and secure seating. 1 person saving many seats is unreasonable. No reason why 10 people showing up 5 minutes before the show have more right to the front row than the many people who showed up 30 minutes early to secure seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 person saving many seats is unreasonable. No reason why 10 people showing up 5 minutes before the show have more right to the front row than the many people who showed up 30 minutes early to secure seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly! There is no reason why they all can't show up together; assign a meeting place and time and walk in at the same time. It is just rude to save seats, especially when NCL asks passengers not to, but to some it is all about me, me, me!

As someone who hasn't been on NCL yet, I ask, is this really much of a problem? (Groups saving a lot of seats) I imagine bouncing around the room looking for two seats and coming up empty. Boo hoo. Or is it more of an issue of who sits up front?

Is the entertainment that good that people fight over seats all the time?

I imagine one person sitting in the middle of a row yelling each time someone tries to sit down. No that's saved, and those too!!

I will never understand why this issue riles so many up. Get up early, get the chair of your dreams and stay in it as long as you want.

No, you do not understand. People should be able to go to breakfast and then the pool and have a reasonable chance of getting a chair. They should not be required to skip breakfast and sit at the pool hours before they desire to.

If all the chairs on in use, then so be it.

If they are being held by people that will not be there for hours, then not so good.

When you come over and I tell you the next two seats are taken (actually I won't have to tell you, a sweater or something else will be marking them as taken), you have no idea if we all got there together and the other two had to run back to the cabin, went to the bar, went to the rest room etc (all of which would be just fine you YOUR rules) or if I got there early and held the seats (which you think is horrible).
Well, you are the one that admitted that you get their early and save seats for your entire party and that is the issue folks have an problem with. Saving seats, when NCL asks nicely that folks not save seats. Guess it is okay with you that others pick and choose which rules/requests they abide by or not, like leaving an empty seat between them and another passenger in the theatre and not moving when request to do so by another passenger. Glad to know!!

No one is getting to me at all. I have enjoyed every single second of every cruise I have taken. I choose not to let where people sit, eat, drink, stand, walk, or go to the bathroom have any impact on my cruise. It is extremely amusing to see the people here who have not made the same choice though. ;)

I agree with the maniac.

So how would you know when you got there if the situation with the empty held seats was the situation you are OK with or the one you are not? ESP I imagine? ;p

No, he would have a series of written questions which they would have to answer and sign, to be used against them in the court of public opinion.

Maniacal,

Do you sleep?? This chair thing seems to have you wound up. It appears “chair hogs” is an obsession with some people enough that NCL and maybe other lines posted signs about it. I haven’t seen one comment about the Garden Cafe that usually is very crowded, of people saving places for other friends or family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have decided not to respondend to anything more in this thread but really need to post!

Two things are discussed, rules and selfish people. Some people seems to defend the rules and don't really care if they are selfish or not.

Is it against the rules to save a chair with belongings for 55 minutes? NO. Is it selfish? My opinion is, YES.

Is it against the rules to reserve seats in the theatre? I'm not sure, is it? Is it selfish? My opinion is, YES.

Is it against the rules to sit by the window in the buffet restaurant for hours and read a book while people are looking for a place to sit when they shall eat? I don't think so, at least I have never seen a rule about that on a cruiseship. Is it selfish? My opinion, YES.

My point is that rules are one thing and to be nice to other people is something else. Some people just follow rules and don't really care about other people. Isn't the most important thing to try to be nice to other people?

Either way nope. I still just come here for the humor of people who spends thousands of dollars on a cruise vacation only to choose to ruin it for themselves over which chair they sit in at a show. Man I wish I had that kind of money. :')

I agree, I refuse to let anyone or most things ruin my cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums