WOW - huge change for us - bicycles are now on prohibited list

kahtrav

I find it hard to believe that your daughter was unable to purchase a bottle of wine and have the wine steward hold the unfinished bottle for future nights in the MDR or elsewhere.

I have cruised with HAL since 2008 and they have always held our unfinished bottles. I am sure others can corroborate my experience' date=' most recently on the Ziederdam.

Sent from my XT1064 using Forums mobile app

I agree..We hardly every finish a full bottle of wine & they have always re-corked our unfinished bottles & held them till the following evening.. I would ask to speak to the Head Sommielier or even the Hotel Mgr. instead of accepting that the wine Steward would not save my bottle for the next night.. Of course at the end of our cruise we always give an extra tip to the Wine Steward.. :cool:

I even had my opened bottle of San Pellegrino follow me around. Tip: four days and the bubbles are gone, gone, gone. :loudcry: But it is good for at least three - one glass per setting.

Okay, I'll backtrack a bit - we just got off the Maasdam on Saturday. Our daughter said the first day there was a sign saying you should take the bottle back to your cabin and drink it there (I did not see the sign). There was no evidence of bottles as usual at tables. I suspect this is a new rule, so check before you order. Like I said, it doesn't generally affect us, but there were several changes from our cruise in January.

Okay, I'll backtrack a bit - we just got off the Maasdam on Saturday. Our daughter said the first day there was a sign saying you should take the bottle back to your cabin and drink it there (I did not see the sign). There was no evidence of bottles as usual at tables. I suspect this is a new rule, so check before you order. Like I said, it doesn't generally affect us, but there were several changes from our cruise in January.

I bet this is for bottles brought onboard and not purchased on the ship. Just off Zaandam and our wine bottles DID follow us ALL over the ship.

Yes, I apologize for getting off topic (it was just an example of another area of change on HAL) but I didn't expect it to fly away quite like that. I'll definitely leave it for those who drink wine to share their future experiences elsewhere on the forum - Sorry about that.

(The Fiat thing was a joke, okay a bad joke. ) However, the little mini 12x12 coolers did make the cut on the restricted list, which was asked about on another thread.

Other reports indicated hauling bikes through the hallways and stairwells, esp that last narrow one when embarking on tenders, left behind some gouge marks. That could have been a consideration too. Let's hope they do find a win-win accommodation. Keeping a folding bike in a large rolling suitcase - considering they allow "wheeled carts" -- should protect the halls and speed access. Then what do you do with the suitcase once it is off the ship?

Actually, our bike cases turn into a trailers, attach to the bikes, and off we go, often for several weeks.

Carnival Corporation - List of prohibited items: (No Segways)

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4090

Further detail, exemptions and exceptions:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

Allowable to be stored in cabin, but for port use only: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3632 (Segways now okay)

One gets very confused and conflicting online information about this evolving issue. However, it may be productive to argue for inclusion of folding bikes in this last "port only use" exemption list.

I hope they can move toward the "port use only" side (especially if Segways are now okay). I never would have once thought of using a bike onboard. This decision hasn't been a Carnival Corporation policy (Cunard still openly accepts bikes), so it's a cruise line decision. Anyway, still hoping to have some kind of compromise - our bikes really are part of a healthy, active, lifestyle (and sometimes, due to foot issues, walking isn't possible, so, for us, it has been a mobility issue as well. We've sure seen other mobility aids used with less than normal care for persons or walls.

The discussion continues - we'll see what comes in future policies.

Actually, our bike cases turn into a trailers, attach to the bikes, and off we go, often for several weeks.

When I looked up the CCL prohibited item list, the listing pages offered a feedback feature. Since there was no date on the list, I commented it would be helpful to know if this was the final up to date list. They actually got back to me with their specific answer.

Did you try that venue to start a another dialogue with them about making personal bikes work on CCL? Maybe if they keep hearing this suggestion from all angles, they will re-open their thinking about it.

kazu pointed out HAL did accommodate the initial uproar about the restrictions of the prior unlimited personal bottles of wines as carry-on. Do you have other biking-cruising friends who can also help you getting their attention?

I will continue to work at the bike issue. We are really a pretty small group (generally there's only been one additional bike, though a friend mentioned 6 on the Amsterdam this fall) plus crew bikes. I'll try the other links and information to broaden that way, but don't actually know other people who have done this. I just know that it's been around as an option for at least 10 years on HAL from personal experience and I've seen references from many years back to persons taking bikes long before the advent of folding/travel bikes.

• 1 year later...

I seem to recall that just prior to when HAL put the bike ban into place there was a series of incidents with serious bicycle injuries and in a couple of cases fatalities. for example 2 cruise line passengers were killed in 2 different incidents in New Zealand. I know one was using their own bike, not sure about the other. one was off a celebrity ship, not sure about the other.

that may have raised concern with corporate risk management.

Princess also bans bikes. They are in the same corporate management sub group as Hal. So it may be at a higher level than individual cruise line.

So they take away the right for you to bring your own customized bicycle so that they can sell bike tours where you get a lousy uncustomized bike and have to bike where they want you to bike and at a pace limited by the slowest member of the tour. Is that what you want us to support with our dollars. My brother-in-law is an avid biker and I can guarantee that he would not be caught dead on the bikes that HAL has for you to use for a large fee.

Let them know how you feel about it b y voting with your wallet. I understand your distr

ess.

I do not ride a bicycle but if I did, would vote with my wheels and bike right over to a cruise line that lets me take my bike on board.

DON

sorry duplicate

To put it more clearly. Carnival Corp. owns Princess, HAL, Carnival, Costa, Cunard P & O cruise lines and Seabourn ( I may have forgotten one or more .)

Edited by sail7seas

. They are in the same corporate management sub group as Hal. So it may be at a higher level than individual cruise line.

To put it more clearly. Carnival Corp. owns Princess, HAL, Carnival, Costa, Cunard P & O cruise lines and Seabourn ( I may have forgotten one or more .)

I seem to recall that just prior to when HAL put the bike ban into place there was a series of incidents with serious bicycle injuries and in a couple of cases fatalities. for example 2 cruise line passengers were killed in 2 different incidents in New Zealand. I know one was using their own bike, not sure about the other. one was off a celebrity ship, not sure about the other.

that may have raised concern with corporate risk management.

Princess also bans bikes. They are in the same corporate management sub group as Hal. So it may be at a higher level than individual cruise line.

Just pointing out this thread was started over a year and a half ago. I imagine most people have adjusted to the change.

I will continue to work at the bike issue. We are really a pretty small group (generally there's only been one additional bike, though a friend mentioned 6 on the Amsterdam this fall) plus crew bikes. I'll try the other links and information to broaden that way, but don't actually know other people who have done this. I just know that it's been around as an option for at least 10 years on HAL from personal experience and I've seen references from many years back to persons taking bikes long before the advent of folding/travel bikes.

I think the bikes crew use are mostly owned by HAL and crew are permitted to use them in port if they wish.

Edited by sail7seas

Just pointing out this thread was started over a year and a half ago. I imagine most people have adjusted to the change.

I did recognize t hatit is year old but think it pertinent enough for many pax to keep it going since someone brought it forward.

I did recognize t hatit is year old but think it pertinent enough for many pax to keep it going since someone brought it forward.

Yeah, but the reason they brought it forward doesn't seem to fit with the actual subject of the thread:

And I believe that Hapag Lloyd is the company buying the Prinsendam taking possession July 1 next year

actually no. there is a subsection of ccl called holland america group that contains Hal, Princess, P&O Australia and seabourn that is a sub group of of the overall CCL holding company.

actually no. there is a subsection of ccl called holland america group that contains Hal, Princess, P&O Australia and seabourn that is a sub group of of the overall CCL holding company.

AND it is all under the ownership of Carnival Corp.

Acutally,

AND it is all under the ownership of Carnival Corp.

Acutally,

however my original post specified that it was possible for it to be a decision above the cruise line level and still be below the overall corporate level because HAL was part of a sub corporate group.

which apparently you did not read or understand because you responded with the entire corporate group.

to which I then pointed out the presence of Holland America Group. To which you just returned to the overall holding company and apparently did not realize that CCL is the holding company stock symbol which is often used to identify the holding company.

Just my 2 cents but a few passengers having folding bikes (we have seen a few on our cruises) is just not a big deal. They take them off in some ports and bring them back aboard. They are not used on the ship nor are they a danger to other passengers. On the other hand, having watched DW become the victim of a 350lb + guy recklessly driving his scooter on a ship, and having had to quickly move to avoid multiple scooters makes me wonder why there is any issue with bikes that are only used off the ship. If a passenger injures him or herself riding a bike that is life. We rent cars in ports and could possibly get into an accident. I am also a walker and guess could walk into a wall or a bus and also get injured.

I should add that some cruise lines actually allow small motorcycle groups on their ships (along with their motorcycles which are stored in the crew area). And we even know one Celebrity cruise ship Captain that sometimes brings one of his Harley Davidson Motorcycles on his vessel. Having been on many HAL cruises there is no question that many passengers could certainly benefit from riding a bike :).

Hank