Trip insurance?

Gumbo4Life

What about coverage for if something happened to elderly parents, in laws, immediate family that are home while you are cruising? I always worry something will happen while we are gone, or just before we leave. I'm trying to fiqure out what that would be covered under?

What about coverage for if something happened to elderly parents, in laws, immediate family that are home while you are cruising? I always worry something will happen while we are gone, or just before we leave. I'm trying to fiqure out what that would be covered under?

Most travel insurance policies will cover you if something happens to immediate family. You may have to get a paper from the hospital/dr., etc., to prove it was an emergency.

I never go TI until after I turned 50 and had a medical issue. Now I would not cruise without it, especially since I just found out unexpectedly I will need surgery interfering with my cruise inside the part where there would be no refund. So the money I spend on insurance is well worth it. I am mostly concerned about the air evac part in case something happened and I need to get back to the US for treatment.

I like the trip insurance store because it allows you to compare policies coverage side by side to help you determine which is the cheapest for the coverage I need. There is a company that includes coverage for free for kids and it gives you the dates to purchase by for waiver of pre existing.

Agree, the emergency evacuation and medical coverage abroad (where most people's home health insurance won't pay a dime) are the primary reason to buy trip insurance. I meet a father in Aruba whose son needed an emergency appendectomy while the family was on vacation there. The hospital left him lying in agony (at risk of lethal complications) until the father was able to deposit the required deposit for the emergency operation. Only then did they operate.

Do you know whether this family had purchased some kind of trip insurance?

Be careful with assuming your trip insurance will protect you in this situation. Do they provide medical coverage? Yes, if you select it, almost always as secondary to your health insurance. Do they pay upfront? Many don't.

My insurance covers me outside the country but I have to pay upfront and submit receipts for reimbursement. Many travel health policies do the same. You want to read the terms and look for one that pays out upfront as primary insurance.

I personally haven't filed a claim but have use geoblue for travel medical for just this reason. They advertise that they do. I personally don't feel the need to protect my trip against cancellation but do get medical when taking a more exotic trip with places limit access to hosptials.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You need to do your homework when purchasing TI. We only purchase TI (not CCL insurance) that pays for medical costs UPFRONT and PRIMARY coverage only (many hospitals out of country require upfront payment before treatment, you can find all of this information during research). When comparing plans I immediately remove any plan that does not pay upfront costs and is secondary coverage.

With the internet there is no reason not to be informed or choose TI that does not suffice your needs. With as much time as people generally spend online on sites like FB or online dating etc., they should be as responsible when it comes to things like researching for a vacation out of the country.