Help Uber

js

Hi. Do I tip Uber. On our way to hotel foe NCL cruise. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I understand, the tip is included in the fare. However, I always give an additional tip if they do a good job. I once tipped a Uber driver about 50% when he drove us to the terminal in Amsterdam.

Just curious but why would you tip that much?

I am not the one you are asking the question of but I have given very large tips recently to Lyft Drivers. Think of it as Paying Forward.... these are hard working people that are basically self employed, using their own car, their own gas. If they go out of their way in being extra friendly and are extremely personable of course I am going to give extra. especially for the fact they are still saving me a lot of money over an unfriendly over priced taxi ride.

People tip for many reasons but mostly because they are treated fairly and with kindness and true concern. I feel blessed with my life right now so why not pay it forward. :)

I am not the one you are asking the question of but I have given very large tips recently to Lyft Drivers. Think of it as Paying Forward.... these are hard working people that are basically self employed, using their own car, their own gas. If they go out of their way in being extra friendly and are extremely personable of course I am going to give extra. especially for the fact they are still saving me a lot of money over an unfriendly over priced taxi ride.

People tip for many reasons but mostly because they are treated fairly and with kindness and true concern. I feel blessed with my life right now so why not pay it forward. :)

That's as good an answer as I could expect. :)

From what I understand, the tip is included in the fare. However, I always give an additional tip if they do a good job. I once tipped a Uber driver about 50% when he drove us to the terminal in Amsterdam.

Tips are not included in the fare for uber, with the exception of "ubertaxi" which is only available in select cities.

Just curious but why would you tip that much?

I don't remember the exact numbers, but the cost of a regular to the port was about $80.00US, or it could have been €80.00. The Uber was about $50.00US or €50.00. Please note that the cruise terminal is not actually in Amsterdam, but about 30-45 minutes away from Amsterdam.

Anyway, the location that Google gave, was in the right port, but not exactly where the HAL ship was docked. When we ordered the Uber, the fare was based on the Google location. The Uber driver took us there, but it was a bunch of freight ships. The Uber driver got out of the car, and asked a few people for directions to the cruise terminal. Technicaly, he could have simply dropped us off, but he went out of his way to get us to our ship.

So, instead of giving the Uber driver $50.00US/ €50.00, we gave him $80.00/ €80.00.

Also, when I was in my late 30s/early40s, I spent about 5 years delivering pizza for a living. I know what it's like working for tips, so therefore, I ALWAYS TIP.

Tipping with Uber has to be done with cash.

Lyft allows you to tip through the app after the ride.

That's why I switched to Lyft for business travel. We are limited on amount of cash tips in a day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uber made their business on being cash-less. Based on that and what uber says on their website; I assume that the drivers are working at rates where they don't expect tips. That being said, if a driver picked me up at point a and dropped me off at point b, I wouldn't feel obligated to tip. If they take me to/from the airport and help with bags I would. I did tip my driver because of that on my last tip and he accepted it but said it wasn't necessary.

Uber made their business on being cash-less. Based on that and what uber says on their website; I assume that the drivers are working at rates where they don't expect tips. That being said, if a driver picked me up at point a and dropped me off at point b, I wouldn't feel obligated to tip. If they take me to/from the airport and help with bags I would. I did tip my driver because of that on my last tip and he accepted it but said it wasn't necessary.

I do uber part time. I can't say that I expect a tip but it is always appreciated. I don't treat people well with the expectation of a tip, but rather because it's the right thing to do.

As far as the rates drivers work for, it isn't as great as one may think. It's not terrible, but not a cash cow either. A 10 minute, 3 mile trip in Philadelphia market gets a driver about $3, Before expenses and taxes. For me the attraction to driving uber is the flexibility, not necessarily the money.

I always tip my Uber driver. But it is based on the distance and how the driver treats me/us. The majority of the drivers i have encountered have been great. But I did have this one guy in Miami last year that was just rude as could be. Could have been he was just having a bad day like all of us do occasionally. I still tipped him for the 7 mile ride. But he could have earned more than that.