What food item do you request at dinner?

flagger

I requested key lime pie on the first night of a 12 night cruise and didn't receive it. On the second night the Maitre'D came by and asked if we wanted anything so I mentioned it again. On the third night and every night there after everyone at the table received a dessert they ordered and KEY LIME PIE!!! It was a riot and made dinner a lot of fun.

One night I wanted something chocolate for dessert and there was nothing on the menu, not even ice cream. I asked my waiter about it and he came back later with a plate that had some hard pieces of chocolate dark but sweet chocolate, some berries, and some raspberry sauce. I was hoping for some of those little eclaires leftover from tea, but I guess they don't save the leftovers! Oh well...at least he tried.

Another time we asked if there was any macaroni and cheese on the kids' menu. There was, and so we ordered it. It came up in a nice dish, with a little blue cheese mixed in to make it more "grown up." We remarked on how delicious it was, and the next night another dish magically appeared.

Second night Creme brule' was on the dessert menu, we both ordered it and Wanda offhanded mentioned she "could eat it every night." The next night and for the rest of the cruise two servings were brought along with all the other dessert orders. I haven't had any since.

We always ask for berries for dessert the first night and then we get them til the end of the trip. Sometimes they will run out before the last day as our tablemates see how good it is and ask for berries for themselves. It is fun to see how big of a dish can be brought out to our table. My husband has shrimp cocktail evreynight also. We try to cut calories wherever we can. Pat

On our recent cruise one of our tablemates asked for peas! Yes, peas! We got a big bowl of peas with every meal and we all loved them.

Someone also asked for feta cheese and everynight feta cheese appeared for our salads.

Celebrity waiters want to please . . . they are awesome!

Second night Creme brule' was on the dessert menu, we both ordered it and Wanda offhanded mentioned she "could eat it every night." The next night and for the rest of the cruise two servings were brought along with all the other dessert orders. I haven't had any since.

Yum, the only thing better would be the mini chocolate creme brule' in the specialty restaurant.

We always ask for chocolate souffle. They make a huge deal out of it. Usually shows up on the last night...you know, tip night. LOL

• 1 year later...

For myself, I wouldn't want to request something that is not on the menu (or one of the alternate menus). It would smack of entitlement to me. The kitchen staff has to work hard enough to serve MENU ITEMS to 2,000 people a night that I wouldn't want to make their jobs harder.

Also, I wouldn't like it if they continually brought something for me every night. Just because I enjoyed something once doesn't mean I would want it every night, but if they brought it for me, I'd feel obligated to eat it...

I love that they are so eager to please and I am happy for those who get everything they want, but I try to make it a point not to be "high maintenance" (if I can help it) for my own peace of mind...

Last yr in Hawaii our table all had excursions booked & we missed the St Patties lunch . At dinner, the maitre d--brought us a huge platter of Corned Beef & Cabbage w.mustard as an added entree--it was great! (We were all wearing green!)

AH YES! The Mohr Im Hend

We were on the Horizon to Bermuda 2 years ago and had inquired which day the Mohr Im Hend would be served for lunch (it is always served on a lunch menu). We did not want to miss it! Unfortunately, because it was a 7 day cruise, the Maitre 'D said it was not going to be on the menu. We sadly said thank you anyway.

But, the following evening at about 10PM in our cabin, we received a phone call. The gentleman said "Your dessert is here, can I come and deliver it?". Well, we didn't know what he was talking about - we hadn't ordered anything, but gosh - when someone says "Can I bring you dessert? " Who can say no? So, I answered the door and there on the tray was a freshly baked chocolate Mohr Im Hend (it means Moor in a skirt) - still warm from the oven. It is called that because it has a white cream that is on the plate and the cake and sort of looks like a skirt. I know - politically incorrect - but the best dessert I have ever had (sigh).

We remarked on how delicious it was, and the next night another dish magically appeared.

This is actually one reason I prefer freestyle, with different waiters every night. :p

I once went through a short phase of ordering hot chocolate at a breakfast take-out place. The owner prided herself on learning her customers' preferences, and every day from then on, she'd see me coming and have my hot chocolate waiting by the time I got to the counter. I'd have to shout "no hot chocolate today" as soon as I came in the door in order to stop her, and then participate in a discussion of why I wanted something else. I'd really just prefer to be an anonymous customer.:eek:

We will be going on our 1st Celebrity cruise in Oct. We have been on several cruises where on the 1st night at dinner I asked for shrimp cocktail every night for my wife and myself and just like clockwork two orders of shrimp cocktail arrived each night with the other items that we had ordered.

On one of the ships the waiter mentioned that it wasn't on the menu that night but I asked him to send our request to the chef. Within 15 minutes the shrimp were there\ and they continued night after night.

One time my wife asked for a cheese plate for dessert and loved it and the waiter for the next 2 nights altomatically delivered a cheese plate in addition to the dessert she ordered. She had to politely tell him to stop bringing the cheese plates. We loved the cheese but it was just too much.

It would smack of entitlement to me.

I love that they are so eager to please and I am happy for those who get everything they want, but I try to make it a point not to be "high maintenance" (if I can help it) for my own peace of mind...

I guess we would be the most high maintenance table you've ever heard of :) My DH had shrimp cocktail everynight, a plate of 'plain lettuce' waiting at his place for him every night and a platter of bleu cheese for the table to share! As well... oh my... we all shared a nightly bowl or two of berries, had warm creme brulee made for us, - all of this just because we mentioned we loved it the first time. The huge smile on our waiter's face as he brought it to us each time made it worth 'forcing it down' ha ha!

I certainly hope he didn't think we we're high maintenance. Jayna K

On my last cruise I asked for a plate of steamed veggies. (they were on the menu) When they were delivered I was amazed there was enough for a meal! All four of us at the table ete some, that way they didn't go to waste. The next night I asked again, by the third night when I went to ask our waiter just nodded and said steamed veggies. The rest of the cruise he delivered steamed veggies for us to enjoy. He must have said something to the other staff because the night we had dinner with the captain a small plate of steamed veggies appeared next to my dinner plate. Now that is what I call good service!

Archived