Pride Baltimore - How early can Platinum board?

Ted

This is my first time with timed boarding. If I understand correctly, they ask for a time from Platinum members for planning purposes, but unlike the general rule allow you in even if you arrive before your announced time. So, my question is, assuming Pride arrives on-time, when does boarding actually begin?

Big thanks!

FYI, showing up early (before boarding time) can be a bad idea in Baltimore. The port does not have the best layout and they will not let cars in until enough cars have left from the previous cruise. Major traffic jam ensues, as there is only ONE way in. Sometimes, the drop-offs can get by, but the last time we sailed, the traffic to park backed up so much that even the drop-offs couldn't get in.

Edited to add: also, last time, they wouldn't let ANYONE in to the terminal, even Platinum. It was very hot outside that day.... :-|

FYI, showing up early (before boarding time) can be a bad idea in Baltimore. The port does not have the best layout and they will not let cars in until enough cars have left from the previous cruise. Major traffic jam ensues, as there is only ONE way in. Sometimes, the drop-offs can get by, but the last time we sailed, the traffic to park backed up so much that even the drop-offs couldn't get in.

Edited to add: also, last time, they wouldn't let ANYONE in to the terminal, even Platinum. It was very hot outside that day.... :-|

On our last cruise over New Years from there we got there at ten of 11 and they were accepting cars and were already in zone 3

Sent from my iPhone

So, my question is, assuming Pride arrives on-time, when does boarding actually begin?

Big thanks!

The procedure is usually weddings, wheelchairs, Diamonds, Platinums and then FTTF.

If the previous cruise disembarks without any problems, weddings should start around 1130 or so, give or take 15 minutes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Sailed out of Baltimore twice lately, here. One on time, one delayed.

Depending on the amount of Diamonds, versus Platinums they will seat you in either the large hall or smaller priority check-in lounge. Diamond boarding (when on time) was roughly Noon on my last cruise, with Platinum immediately following.

I have not seen Carnival Pride be delayed very often. My cruise in september was delayed because the police had shut down the area for an "active shooter" situation.

That said, parking was a nightmare for those who arrived with their own car. If you are doing so, might I recommend offsite parking with shuttle service.

Sailed out of Baltimore twice lately, here. One on time, one delayed.

Depending on the amount of Diamonds, versus Platinums they will seat you in either the large hall or smaller priority check-in lounge. Diamond boarding (when on time) was roughly Noon on my last cruise, with Platinum immediately following.

I have not seen Carnival Pride be delayed very often. My cruise in september was delayed because the police had shut down the area for an "active shooter" situation.

That said, parking was a nightmare for those who arrived with their own car. If you are doing so, might I recommend offsite parking with shuttle service.

It was a total of 15 minutes to park both times we have sailed from there. Add in how early you are back on the road, I would rate it high. First time when debarking, we were first off and on 95 at 9:08 and home by 1:30.

Sent from my iPhone

It was a total of 15 minutes to park both times we have sailed from there. Add in how early you are back on the road, I would rate it high. First time when debarking, we were first off and on 95 at 9:08 and home by 1:30.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, I've had times when we were in quickly and out quickly (out's never a problem...). However, the last two or three times that we've tried to park (you can see I've been on the Pride numerous times), there have been delays, traffic jams, people lined up for 45 minutes waiting to be let in to the parking, etc.

So yes, the OP could show up and have no problem, park quickly, get through security, checked in, and on board in 25 minutes (I've had that happen before). Or, he could get there, and it take an hour to park, they have the doors to the terminal closed and won't let anyone in because the terminal is full, finally get in an hour AFTER the boarding time on your paperwork, you only go as fast as however many other Diamond, Platinum, and FTTF are in front of you in security, however many Diamond and Platinum are in front of you at check in (and if they are checking you in in the little VIP room, I swear it takes twice as long as the staff in the regular lines) and you don't get priority through the area in the back where everyone lines up to DING onboard.

That's why I suggested not showing up until your boarding time. Sure, you could get there early and have no problems. But if you get there, and check-in is a mess, you can't really complain, I guess :p

Yeah, I've had times when we were in quickly and out quickly (out's never a problem...). However, the last two or three times that we've tried to park (you can see I've been on the Pride numerous times), there have been delays, traffic jams, people lined up for 45 minutes waiting to be let in to the parking, etc.

So yes, the OP could show up and have no problem, park quickly, get through security, checked in, and on board in 25 minutes (I've had that happen before). Or, he could get there, and it take an hour to park, they have the doors to the terminal closed and won't let anyone in because the terminal is full, finally get in an hour AFTER the boarding time on your paperwork, you only go as fast as however many other Diamond, Platinum, and FTTF are in front of you in security, however many Diamond and Platinum are in front of you at check in (and if they are checking you in in the little VIP room, I swear it takes twice as long as the staff in the regular lines) and you don't get priority through the area in the back where everyone lines up to DING onboard.

That's why I suggested not showing up until your boarding time. Sure, you could get there early and have no problems. But if you get there, and check-in is a mess, you can't really complain, I guess :p

Got it, it certainly is a unique parking arrangement. I see the gangway is back effective this week which will help with the whole process as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Such was the case when we sailed from there last. People were in-out in fair time. The delayed cruise in September though was a bad experience for many. People will just need to keep track of the ship as it arrives. :cool:

If you are within driving distance I would track the ship using one of the tracking websites and would plan on getting to the pier about 2 hours after it arrives. We live three hours away and do this each time we sail out of Baltimore.

With the price of parking at Baltimore port, we come down the day before and stay at the Best Western Plus. They have a park/stay/sail package that is sometimes cheaper than parking alone at the port. They shuttle you to the pier morning of cruise and then pick you up on return.

Karen

With the price of parking at Baltimore port, we come down the day before and stay at the Best Western Plus. They have a park/stay/sail package that is sometimes cheaper than parking alone at the port. They shuttle you to the pier morning of cruise and then pick you up on return.

Karen

Waiting for the shuttle back to get to your car can be a nightmare.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses to my OP that I thought would have a simple answer.

I have cruised out of Baltimore many times (out of both the old and the current cruise ports) and love it. Since I live only a little over an hour away (at least on Sunday mornings), I can wait to leave home until I find out whether the ship is delayed and by how much.

However, because it is a small port there is not enough parking for both embarking and disembarking passengers at the same time. This can really screw things up if the ship is delayed. Thus, I would VERY strongly recommend that anyone cruising out of B'more register for text updates from Carnival as to ship arrival, and base their arrivals accordingly (note that my original post was predicated on the ship arriving on time).

As a side note, a few years ago, this was incredibly helpful in New Orleans when the ship was delayed by fog on the Mississippi, and what was supposed to be a 4 pm departure did not actually happen until almost midnight (and yes, they did serve a very, very late full dinner in the main dining room). Thanks to text updates, we were forewarned and were able to get a partial day rate to continue our stay at the wonderful Hotel Monteleone where we were eventually able to see the ship coming up the river, thus thus avoiding many hours sitting around at the port.

Karen

We have done the same thing for 2 Pride cruises and are leaving next Sunday 3/12 doing that again. We love the Best Western and their shuttle service. The close proximity to 95 makes it so much easier traveling and we don't have to pay the Fort McHenry Toll.

We are thinking of booking the 11/4/18 Journeys cruise as well. Maybe we will meet.:)

Waiting for the shuttle back to get to your car can be a nightmare.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have never had any problems getting the shuttle back to the hotel. They are waiting for us when we debark and off we go.

I have a cruise out of Baltimore on the Pride 14-day Journey 11/4/2018.

With it being over $200 for 14 days of parking, I'll take my chances on the shuttle back to the hotel.

Karen

BTW we are also looking at this one trying to balance out against the one for the following January with most of the same ports.

Mom and I did this for the March 13, 2016 14 day Journeys cruise. About half of the people staying at the BW were doing the same.

Initially there was some confusion on the shuttle drivers part because they were not taking into account that with the cruise being 2 weeks that the luggage burden would be doubled. Even with that said we opted for one of the last shuttle times (had priority processing and boarding) and they had us to the port by noon and we were on board by 12:30. Getting back was just as easy except even though we told the terminal porter our shuttle was "over here" he insisted all hotel shuttle pick-ups were "over there", which cut into his tip.

We've always tried to arrive at 11 for our 4 Pride and 3 RC cruises. The Pride used to arrive by 9 unless it was delayed. We once got back at 1230! We leave on the Pride in three weeks and received an email stating that the Pride now arrives at 10am. I have FTTF but don't expect I can arrive at 11 this time and get in.