Royal Cancelled My Fully Paid Cruise Reservation

After reading this thread, they have dropped way down on my list of possibilities for sure.

I hope you realize that the chances of something like this happening are minuscule, never mind the fact that sometimes the issue is eventually resolved.

I hope you realize that the chances of something like this happening are minuscule, never mind the fact that sometimes the issue is eventually resolved.

I would not say miniscule.

I recently received an updated booking confirmation showing my cruise for next year paid in full. Called my TA who called Royal. Nope. was not paid. Different issue, but Royal has an issue with their reservation system causing difficulty for guests.

I've not had any difficulty with other cruise lines, either direct or TA, when it comes to at least having the booking status be correct.

How far off 6 months is it? I don't think you're going to get anywhere with the whole 24 weeks thing, it's fairly reasonable to assume that 6 months means 6 calendar months.

I do however think that it's wrong that they initially accepted your booking and then only decided to change their minds after all this time. They should be either allowing you to sail, or moving you to a later sailing and paying your flight change fees. It was their mistake that they let it go this far, even if you are asking them to break the rules by allowing your 24 weeks 5 days old baby.

I would not say miniscule.

I recently received an updated booking confirmation showing my cruise for next year paid in full. Called my TA who called Royal. Nope. was not paid. Different issue, but Royal has an issue with their reservation system causing difficulty for guests.

Based on what I have read, the word "an" should be changed to "several" and an "s" should be added to the word "issue".

"sometimes the issue is eventually resolved". Seriously? 🤣 "sometimes the issue is eventually resolved".

Trust me if I encounter a company caused issue it had most definitely BETTER be resolved and right away not "eventually." SMH!

And considering that only a small portion of the cruising public posts here. I'd say that, judging by the number of people here who have had issues, it's not minuscule at all but the tip of rather large iceberg.

It would take a lot to get me to cruise with RCI again, and this thread is not helping. Not getting any warm fuzzy feelings. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trust me if I encounter a company caused issue it had most definitely BETTER be resolved and right away not "eventually." SMH!

Well, you can have that attitude, rant and get stressed out trying to resolve the problem right away, or, have some patience knowing that the odds are good of eventually reaching a solution.

"sometimes the issue is eventually resolved". Seriously? 🤣 "sometimes the issue is eventually resolved".

And considering that only a small portion of the cruising public posts here. I'd say that, judging by the number of people here who have had issues, it's not minuscule at all but the tip of rather large iceberg.

It would take a lot to get me to cruise with RCI again, and this thread is not helping. Not getting any warm fuzzy feelings. [emoji849]

I would bet that if you look at the other cruise line forums there are threads just like this and some issues get resolved to the cruisers satisfaction and others do not.

We had a problem with Royal cancelling a fully paid cruise....we did get it resolved....it took more than even my travel agent to resolve it....so going through a travel agent is no guarantee of a better or faster resolution, let me say.

But if the cruiser is booking a cruise and what they are doing is against the written policy of the cruise line, the cruiser is setting themselves up for a problem as in the case of the underage baby on the reservation. The TA should have known better, and whomever the TA was speaking to at Royal should have (and maybe did) know better. But if the TA was more interested in the booking than what was right (just speculating here) that creates a different problem that is not Royals.

Well, you can have that attitude, rant and get stressed out trying to resolve the problem right away, or, have some patience knowing that the odds are good of eventually reaching a solution.

I must agree that ranking, raving, getting yourself stressed out never helps getting something resolved. Even with our situation, it took about a week of 'diligent effort' but without the ranting and raving. I don't consider a week a long time, although at the time, it did seem like a slow moving process......it is easy to say 'Oh just put it back' but as I learned, there were quite a few moving parts to get it accomplished....but it was done.

We had a problem with Royal cancelling a fully paid cruise....we did get it resolved....it took more than even my travel agent to resolve it....so going through a travel agent is no guarantee of a better or faster resolution, let me say.

But if the cruiser is booking a cruise and what they are doing is against the written policy of the cruise line, the cruiser is setting themselves up for a problem as in the case of the underage baby on the reservation.

As to a problem and having a TA, the idea is that the TA does the work, and not the passenger. I paid for luggage valet and they refused to take my luggage (because of a late start). It was only $15, but my TA was finally able to get it refunded to me. However, when I found out what the TA had to do to get the refund - well, I would have given up.

As to the waiver for the baby, or any waiver of any kind anywhere, you need to get that in writing.

Edited by Cuizer2

Hi everyone,

I'm new to CC and had signed up as I was wanting to join the roll call for my up and coming cruise. (Been with royal the past six years and have brought friends or family the past three years.)

Problem being this year they have CANCELLED my trip.

Bear with me here goes......

My wife booked the trip with our travel agent back in February. So on the booking was my wife me our son and our newborn who was to be born on the 28th March. Also we were bringing my wife's parents on their first cruise. On booking our travel agent rang us about a query on her age from RCI stating the 6 month infant policy. But we made it known on departure day that she would be 24 weeks and 5 days. The girl on the phone from royal took this info and passed it on to management support after a quick conversation she came back on the line and stated that the booking was ok from her management and we proceeded to book and paid in full around the start of April.

We knew no more and were gearing up for a week cruise around the med everything in order until last Friday when our TA rang and stated that Royal were pulling the booking over our infants age. Needless to say sparks started to fly as flights to Barcelona had been booked time off work etc.etc. since Friday we haven't heard much from Royal and we have been going through the head royal person in Ireland.

Has anyone had anything like this happen them around infant age and if so what came of it. Also any info or contacts you may have would be great as I will contact anyone I can to try get us on the cruise, as it stands we have heard from no-one and are expecting the worst that we will have no trip to go on even though they took the booking and all was grand at the time.

TIA

Martin

Congrats on your new baby! Looks like the expected delivery was one week shy of of six months... May I ask what the actual birthday was?

As to a problem and having a TA, the idea is that the TA does the work, and the passenger. I paid for luggage valet and they refused to take my luggage (because of a late start). It was only $15, but my TA was finally able to get it refunded to me. However, when I found out what the TA had to do to get the refund - well, I would have given up.

As to the waiver for the baby, or any waiver of any kind anywhere, you need to get that in writing.

I can only speak from my experience, but the TA channel into the inner workings of Royal seemed 'limited in there capabilities' and slower than I could do myself There are many reasons for using a TA, and we have booked directly with Royal as well....but if I have to roll up my sleeves and get involved in a resolution (because I happen to have contacts in Royal that I can go to), so be it. My TA still did plenty for me along the way....and if not, I will find another TA when I want to use a TA.

I can only speak from my experience, but the TA channel into the inner workings of Royal seemed 'limited in there capabilities' and slower than I could do myself There are many reasons for using a TA, and we have booked directly with Royal as well....but if I have to roll up my sleeves and get involved in a resolution (because I happen to have contacts in Royal that I can go to), so be it. My TA still did plenty for me along the way....and if not, I will find another TA when I want to use a TA.

Looks like I forgot the word "not" in my post. Fortunately it has not been 20 minutes yet, so I added it.

I'm not trying to convince everyone to use a TA. If you have the time (and / or connections) to get problems solved, then by all means do it yourself. I work, and don't really want to spend the time on hold or sending emails / letters. As to connections, well how much time do you think the CEO's children and grandchildren have to spend to get a problem fixed? I'm not criticizing what you do. However, most cruise passengers don't have connections within the cruise line that will get problems resolved. Fortunately I have a good TA.

Looks like I forgot the word "not" in my post. Fortunately it has not been 20 minutes yet, so I added it.

I'm not trying to convince everyone to use a TA. If you have the time (and / or connections) to get problems solved, then by all means do it yourself. I work, and don't really want to spend the time on hold or sending emails / letters. As to connections, well how much time do you think the CEO's children and grandchildren have to spend to get a problem fixed? I'm not criticizing what you do. However, most cruise passengers don't have connections within the cruise line that will get problems resolved. Fortunately I have a good TA.

Even someone who did not have the personal connection that I had, could easily have found the name of the Sr Executive in charge of sales and marketing along with their email address and carefully detailed the problem they had 'regarding the cancellation issue done by Royal'. That email would most likely have been assigned to someone in that department to investigate and that cruiser would have been contacted. I don't reveal my personal connections.....but I have directed people as to the correct executive office that should be contacted with a serious problem....and cancellation of a cruise for 'no good reason' on the part of Royal would fit.

My TA's have generally been very good....but the means that they have to move 'up the chain of command' is not as efficient as it should be....at least my one experience, showed that to be the case.

Just to be clear I am in NO way related to either the CEO or any other Royal executive.

Congrats on your new baby! Looks like the expected delivery was one week shy of of six months... May I ask what the actual birthday was?

Well the expected delivery date was the 28th March which they were made aware of at the time of booking as it was a planned c-section. This was all taken on board by our TA and as I said it went through the ranks at RCCL and came back stamped and approved. So up until last week we were on this cruise and now we are not.

No where in their policy does it state calender months which is why they accepted the booking on 24 weeks.of age.

A month is NOT four weeks (except for three out of every four February months). A month is a month. Period. Otherwise, you have to say that there are thirteen months in a year.

If you do the math, in a year of 365 days, there are slightly more than 52 weeks in a year. If a month is ONLY four weeks, then it would take 13 months to make a year, Show me the thirteenth month on a standard calendar, and then you might have a leg to stand on.

Plain and simple, your baby is NOT yet six months old, and the rules are quite clearly stated that an infant must be six months of age. Period.

I'm sorry your TA dropped the ball, but the fact remains that you're trying to maneuver around the rules. Your baby is not six months old at the time of the cruise.

Well the expected delivery date was the 28th March which they were made aware of at the time of booking as it was a planned c-section. This was all taken on board by our TA and as I said it went through the ranks at RCCL and came back stamped and approved. So up until last week we were on this cruise and now we are not.

Have you even discussed the topic of moving to a future cruise with RC? It might feel like your accepting defeat but if the rule is there it may be the most pragmatic thing to do.

So brillohead, explain why the booking was accepted and taken day 1. They accepted the 24 weeks not me I don't make the rules. Again I'll reiterate this went to management support and it was they that approved the booking. Not me I just footed the bill.

Hey again Billy Baltic there is a cruise leaving on the 15th Oct. But that time of year doesn't suit as work commitments etc.. etc.. I'll be spending the next few weeks trawling for my next trip but it's looking like it will be 2018. Unfortunately

Hey again Billy Baltic there is a cruise leaving on the 15th Oct. But that time of year doesn't suit as work commitments etc.. etc.. I'll be spending the next few weeks trawling for my next trip but it's looking like it will be 2018. Unfortunately

How about other routes in Europe? Even one of the cruises out of Southampton? We did that this Summer and the Flybe flights from Dublin to Southampton are very handy when travelling with small children.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sorry that you asked about the age of the child, when booking, and someone gave you bad information, and now you are paying for it! I am sure it is for the safety of the baby, but you shouldn't have been told to go ahead and book, if it wasn't ok.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Edited by A Pisces

Thanks for sharing the details. I'm surprised they agreed to the waiver as, even with a "scheduled" c-section, birthdays some times change. I imagine they must have left themselves some wiggle room on this front.

Guess you just have to be happy your newborn and wife are heathy enough to cruise so soon after c-section even if they can't just yet. Hope you can recover your associated costs and go a little bit later. My guess is you and your wife will enjoy the cruise more when your new born is a bit less demanding.

Is leaving the baby with relatives an option?

No that isn't an option one for all and all for one as they say. You are right we care blessed to have our little one and she has changed our world. There will be other cruises we will bring her on in later years.

Regarding the 12 months, that wouldn't effect us as we only have one sea day on our trip so 6 months is the policy or in my case 24 weeks and then changed to 6 months again.

Regarding other cruises we have done Southampton the last two trips and wanted a Med trip again after a few years away from it. Again looking at the 2017 releases the Sept Barcelona trip was the one that suited my family.

• 3 weeks later...