CPAP Machine for Sleep Apnea

I can't answer about which is better, to carry on, or pack in your bag, but if you contact the access department, they will arrange to have an extension cord ready for you.

For more information call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

I am not sure if they allow you to bring your own, but you can ask. I might be more inclined to bring my own since I would be afraid they would forget to set it up. At the very least, give them all call.

What is required to bring aboard & use a CPAP machine on RCCL Oasis class ships? Is it okay to pack the CPAP with check-in luggage or best to carry thru airport security and onto ship? Will they allow me to bring an extension cord, ETC.

I always have an extension cord in the bag we carry for a CPAP. Never had it questioned. It's always good to have your own for hotels, ships, etc. Now, don't bring power strips, just a basic extension cord. The rules say extension cords are not allowed, but I never had an issue.

The ship will also provide you one if you request it through special needs.

As far as airplanes? It is always recommended never to pack medical equipment, but to carry it on with you. Yes, you can keep it in checked luggage. I'm just saying the recommendation.

I just came off a NOTS cruise a couple weeks ago. I packed my CPAP in my checked luggage with no issues. In addition to the extension, Special Needs will also arrange to have a gallon of distilled water in your cabin on embarkation day.

Be advised, they may take your extension cord if it is a grounded (3 plug) type because it may not be compatible with the ships electrical system.

We found the extension cord to be very useful because it allowed my wife to use the supplied blow dryer in the bathroom instead of at the vanity. For some reason, there is no standard electrical outlet in the bathroom on that class of ships.

If you do decide to carry it with you on your flight, it should not count against a carry on limit since it is a required medical device.

I you see the way they throw bags around at times, you will want to carrying the machine onboard yourself. My husband uses a CPAP and actually just purchased a new one a couple of years ago. He refuses to leave it with a porter and keeps his extension cord in the case all the time. Request distilled water from you stateroom attendant and a gallon will be delivered on the first night of your cruise.

We have always sent a email to special needs. They will set you up with extension cord and distilled water.

Definitely carry it on. What happens if you luggage is lost or damaged. Because it is a medical device it does not count against your 1 carry on for flights.

Some older ships... you will need an extension cord... but Oasis class has an outlet by the bed so an extension cord isn't necessary.

I prefer to carry my CPAP with me as a carry on. Medical equipment doesn't count towards your carry-on allotment. It is a pain to have another item to keep up with, but it is necessary and expensive... I'd hate to have it lost or misplaced if something were to happen to my checked luggage.

I sailed on Allure in January and had emailed special needs to get an extension cord and distilled water. The distilled water was in the cabin when we arrived. There wasn't an extension cord, but there was a plug next to one of the beds which I was able to use. I loved not having to stretch a cord across the floor.

I don't know if it made any difference that we were in a Boardwalk balcony or if all cabins have the plug next to one of the beds.

Having seen how the luggage is handled, no way would I sent the CPAP case with my luggage. I just attached the case to my carry on and that worked well.

What is required to bring aboard & use a CPAP machine on RCCL Oasis class ships? Is it okay to pack the CPAP with check-in luggage or best to carry thru airport security and onto ship? Will they allow me to bring an extension cord, ETC.

My wife brings the CPAP machine in a carry on (has it's own travel bag.) We called RCL Pre-Cruise Planner Dept. (800-398-9819) and noted on the reserve and future reserves, the need for distilled water & extension cord. Both were in the cabin when we arrived.

No extension needed for "Q" class ships as the outlets are near the beds.

Carry your CPAP with you on the plane and when you board the ship to avoid damages to the equipment.

For years I brought my own extension cord to use in the hotel before we sailed. I took it on board without a problem, until we sailed from Port Liberty last summer. They confiscated the extension cord (plain cord, brand new) and said it wasn't allowed. I was able to get an extension cord from our cabin steward and picked up mine when we disembarked.

Since then, I purchased a 20-feet power cord for the CPAP online. Inexpensive, works great, takes up less space, and hasn't been confiscated by security. :-)

Carry your CPAP with you on the plane and when you board the ship to avoid damages to the equipment.

For years I brought my own extension cord to use in the hotel before we sailed. I took it on board without a problem, until we sailed from Port Liberty last summer. They confiscated the extension cord (plain cord, brand new) and said it wasn't allowed. I was able to get an extension cord from our cabin steward and picked up mine when we disembarked.

Since then, I purchased a 20-feet power cord for the CPAP online. Inexpensive, works great, takes up less space, and hasn't been confiscated by security. :-)

If you call RCL in advance (see my post above), RCL will have the extension cord and water waiting for you in your cabin. No need to carry one.

I have only once been provided an extension cord that would reach my CPAP machine. I always carry an extension cord. My cord is a normal length so I have used both cords to reach. Now there is an added wrinkle as my partner uses a CPAP, too. I wish all the ships had outlets by the beds!

I would never check my CPAP, I would be lost if my CPAP got lost!. I always keep a long extension cord right in my CPAP carry bag. Plus a roll of Duct tape. Sometimes you have to stretch the Ext. cord across the room so I tape it down well on the floor so we do not trip on it.

I have only once been provided an extension cord that would reach my CPAP machine. I always carry an extension cord. My cord is a normal length so I have used both cords to reach. Now there is an added wrinkle as my partner uses a CPAP, too. I wish all the ships had outlets by the beds!

I see your needs. I can't recall if the Q class have outlets on both sides of the beds.

I would never check my CPAP, I would be lost if my CPAP got lost!. I always keep a long extension cord right in my CPAP carry bag. Plus a roll of Duct tape. Sometimes you have to stretch the Ext. cord across the room so I tape it down well on the floor so we do not trip on it.

Duct tape is a good idea. Thanks,

I contacted Special needs & they will have an extension cord on our cabin on the March 31 sailing of the Navigator of the Seas. I just purchased a new CPAP machine & purchased a battery pack for it so if RCI forgets the extension cord I am okay. I always carry my machine on the plane & also on to the ship. Alfred

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Always (and I mean ALWAYS) carry your CPAP with you as carry on. It is medical equipment that is intended to maintain the health of it's owner, and is exempt from carry-on restrictions pretty much everywhere (even LHR, where they can be picky). If you have not, get a Medical Devices tag that can be attached to the carrying case (can be easily found at cpap-dot-com), and a letter from your physician stating the need for the CPAP and keep a copy in the carrying case should any security question the contents.

When traveling, notify hotels or cruise lines about your CPAP, and if needed, all will provide an extension cord will be made available. I have yet to find a hotel or cruise ship that will not provide one ASAP. And though it has not always been available in the room when I get there, a call to the front desk, cabin steward, or housekeeping, and it will be there well before bedtime (not always true for water for hotels, but have yet to find a cruise ship that didn't make it available at the same time).

Put it in your carry on as it's a sensitive piece of machinery. You can put an extension cord in the bag. My wife has done so for our last 4 cruises and had no problems at all.

I contacted Special needs & they will have an extension cord on our cabin on the March 31 sailing of the Navigator of the Seas. I just purchased a new CPAP machine & purchased a battery pack for it so if RCI forgets the extension cord I am okay. I always carry my machine on the plane & also on to the ship. Alfred

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sailed on the Feb. 3 Navigator and both the water & extension cord was in the cabin.

Maybe someone could refresh my memory, but when did they get rid of the table between the sofa & desk. Over the last 3 years we've been sailing Oasis & Quantum classes.

FYI, TSA and the airlines are not allowed to count medical equipment as a carry on. I'd never check it for the baggage gorillas.

• 4 months later...

I use a CPAP as well. I recently cruised with another line that had no outlet by the bed, so I had to stretch the extension cord across the room. I was really worried that I might trip on it getting up during the night (and either fall or pull the CPAP off the table) so Housekeeping taped it down for me (running much of the length under the bed). I can bring some duct tape and do it myself, I suppose, but has anyone had experience with this? I'm wondering about the tape leaving residue behind, and whether the cruise staff would prefer to tape it themselves. FYI, I'm cruising on the Navigator OTS in January.

I see your needs. I can't recall if the Q class have outlets on both sides of the beds.

The Q class has an outlet on one side of the bed...also those tiny nightstands aren't big enough to hold the old style machine. On our recent Harmony which has the same decor as Q the outlet and the in-cabin phone were on the same side which we then had to put the phone on the floor...very bad design.

First of all...If you let Royal or your TA know that you have a C-Pap machine, they will provide the distilled water and an extension cord.

My husband uses a machine and on our last 3 cruises these items have been in our cabin upon arrival.

As far as on NOTS, my husband did have his extension cord at the foot of the bed as I think that was the only place to put it. We tucked the extension cord up under the bed and it wasn't a problem for either of us. But, I would let your room steward tape it down if you decide you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums