Our experience with a drink package and Cheers

I used the spreadsheet and I've spent time calculating the best value for our cruise vacation adult beverages. I know there are many threads on this topic, but I thought someone might appreciate reading our experience with Cheers.

Two years ago we tried Cheers for the first time and found it did not make much of a difference in our cruise experience. If anything, I stressed trying to make Cheers work for us and we missed having a bottle of wine at dinner. On a Celebrity cruise in Nov 2015, we purchased a drink package and we enjoyed a great wine steward along with several good bartenders who contributed to our wonderful adventure.That experience and the new Cheers program encouraged us to try Cheers again when we sailed out of Galveston last September.

I used the tip for the Heidsieck Rose Champagne at the steak house that I had read on CC. I don't think drinking a $20 a glass champagne proved the value of Cheers for us and we don?t break even because I would rarely if ever pay $20 a glass for wine or alcohol. When we don?t have Cheers we spend less because we don?t allow ourselves the freedom to try so many new things. Having said that, we enjoyed several glasses of Heidsieck during our cruise last August, and we plan to do the same next month. We also ate more at the steak house where we enjoyed a server that can be more attentive which assures a glass or two of champagne or premium cocktail before the main course.

We do not consume 15 drinks per day, but we do try drinks that I would not have ordered in the past. Doing so has allowed me to find drinks that I now enjoy at home. I am now willing to pay a few dollars more for a drink I enjoy. After trying Cheers, I know that I prefer a Grey Goose Cosmo, a Patron margarita and I like sipping a shot of rum with a soda chaser. We also tried several rums. Pyrat XO rum is okay. I do wish Carnival would keep a nice bourbon on board.

For those sailing out of Galveston, we recommend heading to the steak house the first night. The Cheers package is not active until the next day, but you can order any wine or champagne on the menu at 50%.

Cheers!

After trying drink packages on Carnival, NCL, and RC I prefer RC's package. With Carnival's package I don't like that everyone in the cabin over 21 has to purchase, the 15 drink limit and the price is too high and never offered on sale. I don't think the precruise purchase is a good price. My husband rarely drinks alcohol but on RC gets the Royal Refreshment package which covers basically all non alcoholic drinks. I usually only drink beer and basic cocktails so the $50 per limit drink means nothing to me. On our upcoming RC cruise I got the deluxe drink package on sale for $40.00 per day plus 18% gratuity and the refreshment package for $18 per day plus 18% gratuity.

I think the Carnival drink package only works for a limited group of cruisers and would love to see Carnival rework their drink package offering so those that prefer an all inclusive experience can choose something that works for them.

Whenever I price out cruises across the 3 mentioned lines for usually 7 day cruises in balcony cabins I always add in the cost of drink packages and Carnival is almost always the more expensive "all-inclusive" cruise option. Please Carnival, you're missing the boat!😀

After trying drink packages on Carnival, NCL, and RC I prefer RC's package. With Carnival's package I don't like that everyone in the cabin over 21 has to purchase, the 15 drink limit and the price is too high and never offered on sale. I don't think the precruise purchase is a good price. My husband rarely drinks alcohol but on RC gets the Royal Refreshment package which covers basically all non alcoholic drinks. I usually only drink beer and basic cocktails so the $50 per limit drink means nothing to me. On our upcoming RC cruise I got the deluxe drink package on sale for $40.00 per day plus 18% gratuity and the refreshment package for $18 per day plus 18% gratuity.

I think the Carnival drink package only works for a limited group of cruisers and would love to see Carnival rework their drink package offering so those that prefer an all inclusive experience can choose something that works for them.

Whenever I price out cruises across the 3 mentioned lines for usually 7 day cruises in balcony cabins I always add in the cost of drink packages and Carnival is almost always the more expensive "all-inclusive" cruise option. Please Carnival, you're missing the boat!😀

CCL's Cheers package works for them and makes them money under their current rules, which is why they offer it to begin with. It's not designed or meant to work for everyone. We can all speculate what individual changes would or would not do to CCL's profit margin from Cheers, but none of us are privy to the data CCL has. CCL could be working on tweaks to the program now, or they could be contemplating no changes as the program is doing just what they want it to do.

I just don't get why all the drama over this. It is simple... buy it or don't. Complaining that you only get 15 alcoholic drinks or everyone in the room must buy it does not change anything. It is an individual decision much like FTTF. My wife and I leave Saturday on the Sunshine for an 8 day Southern Caribbean cruise and we purchased Cheers. While we may not get 15 alcoholic drinks each every day, we will definitely come out ahead.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Cheers. I am going on my first Celebrity cruise next year and we also have the drink package included. I hope I find it as enjoyable as you did.

We have had a similar experience with the Cheers package with regards to being able to try a variety of different drinks without worrying about the cost, however we only purchase it when sailing on ships that have the Alchemy Bar. We have found we really enjoy getting to know the bar tenders there and being able to experiment with a variety of different drinks and combinations and the Cheers package gives us that freedom. The new changes where they upped the limit of the cost of the drink and the unlimited non-alcoholic drinks (including coffee bar) now make it an even better treat when we do decide to purchase it.

I have been on only 1 cruise and we did purchase the Cheers package. However, I have a question. When you are in the MDR and David's Steakhouse on the Pride, are you able to get wine and alcoholic drinks from those menus as long as it is not over $50? I thought I had read somewhere they were not included but now I have seen some people say other things. Any help would be appreciated :)

The cheers package worked great for us on a three day cruise with one port (where we only got off the ship for an hour). We are still debating on the package for a four day cruise and have decided against the package for a 7 day cruise with three ports. I think every cruise I will have to think it through. Thanks, Bobbi

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

I have been on only 1 cruise and we did purchase the Cheers package. However, I have a question. When you are in the MDR and David's Steakhouse on the Pride, are you able to get wine and alcoholic drinks from those menus as long as it is not over $50? I thought I had read somewhere they were not included but now I have seen some people say other things. Any help would be appreciated :)
Yes, they are included in the MDR as well as the steakhouse. Bar service can be very slow in the MDR, so I would recommend that you take a drink in with you. With service in the steakhouse being more upscale and attentive, you'll have no problems there. They also have a 20.00 glass of champagne to sample if you're so inclined.

The cheers package worked great for us on a three day cruise with one port (where we only got off the ship for an hour). We are still debating on the package for a four day cruise and have decided against the package for a 7 day cruise with three ports. I think every cruise I will have to think it through. Thanks, Bobbi

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

No reason to not get it on your 7 day cruise just because you have 3 ports, that means you also have 3 sea days. During your port days, you're still back on board from 500 on, so you have at least 7 or 8 hours to enjoy your package. Five high end drinks consumed over 8 hours is easy. Two during happy hour, one with dinner and two afterwards. You can also take large bottles of water ashore when you explore the port and start your day with some Baileys or Kahlua in your coffee.

We are not drinkers by any means, but I do remember on RC last year, there were much more options for drink packages. We bought the cheapest one that only included pop, but then I remember several different tiers, one that was smoothies and pop, then at least 3 different levels of alcohol packages. I was shocked with Carnival only having one pop package and one alcohol package. We only got the pop one, and like last year on RC, if there is a pineapple with a margarita in it, I'll buy one the entire trip and it'll be worth it to me!

We sail out of Galveston-- we like to get it, and we are kinda glad we can't use it on the first night because it makes the total bill cheaper. We also always have Steakhouse dinner the first night to kick off and celebrate our vacation, and they usually have a free bottle of wine that night anyway.

Speaking of Cheers.... I can't remember, is it normal not to be able to see that I bought the Cheers package anywhere in my booking info on the Carnival website?

Thanks for sharing your experience with Cheers. I am going on my first Celebrity cruise next year and we also have the drink package included. I hope I find it as enjoyable as you did.

We loved Celebrity and could not recall one problem other than some confusion over a special promotion we had purchased prior to the cruise. One trip to the customer service desk and they gave me more than we had paid for without my asking = no problems :). We may have fallen in love because of the attentive service in the specialty restaurants and in Blu. My husband and I had different drink packages and our wine steward always recommended something for each of us from the list for our individual packages. So many nice touches to be found and a very different vibe.

You can go to the bar at the steakhouse even when you are not eating in the steakhouse.

We are not drinkers by any means, but I do remember on RC last year, there were much more options for drink packages. We bought the cheapest one that only included pop, but then I remember several different tiers, one that was smoothies and pop, then at least 3 different levels of alcohol packages. I was shocked with Carnival only having one pop package and one alcohol package. We only got the pop one, and like last year on RC, if there is a pineapple with a margarita in it, I'll buy one the entire trip and it'll be worth it to me!

I am going to have to find me one of those pineapples! :D

=

Speaking of Cheers.... I can't remember, is it normal not to be able to see that I bought the Cheers package anywhere in my booking info on the Carnival website?

I believe that is normal. I could not see our purchase prior to our cruise last September and I can't see it now for our April cruise. Good idea to take your receipt if you have it.

The Cheers package is not active until the next day, but you can order any wine or champagne on the menu at 50%.

Cheers!

Are you saying that if we buy the Cheers package we can NOT use it on embarkation day?

Thanks in advance.

Marion

Only if you leave from Galveston or New York

Thanks for your quick response. We're sailing out of New Orleans. Whew.

Just for info purposes, why New York? We had a drink package on the Norwegian Breakaway and were able to use it from the moment we got on the ship in New York.

Thanks for your quick response. We're sailing out of New Orleans. Whew.

Just for info purposes, why New York? We had a drink package on the Norwegian Breakaway and were able to use it from the moment we got on the ship in New York.

I'm not sure, Carnival's website just says "due to state laws"

We are set to cruise on Carnival Vista next January with four ports and three sea days. We had talked about the getting the drink package too. But, I looked at the cost for eight days and it is $997 for two. So, I think for us it is not worth it since we will be off the boat quite a bit. What I am going to do is buy bar credits over the next year. If it were a three or four day cruise with only a couple ports then it may be worth it.

Sandi

We loved Celebrity and could not recall one problem other than some confusion over a special promotion we had purchased prior to the cruise. One trip to the customer service desk and they gave me more than we had paid for without my asking = no problems :). We may have fallen in love because of the attentive service in the specialty restaurants and in Blu. My husband and I had different drink packages and our wine steward always recommended something for each of us from the list for our individual packages. So many nice touches to be found and a very different vibe.

I am very excited to try something new.

We are going to buy the package on our 5 day cruise on the Triumph. With the Alchemy Bar, I can easily do 4 a night there and I thought they were closer to the $10 range. We also like a margarita or daiquiris during the day, and easily a shot or two of something at the comedy clubs later in the evening. Though they mention a $50 limit, I see someone mentioning champagne at the Steakhouse (which I don't drink). Really where else do you find any drinks over about $12? The fishbowls are more expensive but excluded.