Walking to Southampton Cruise Port

CH_ca

According to Tom's Port Guide, walking to Southampton Cruise port could be stopped by port authority. You may only be allowed to use a taxi to go in. My friends had walked to the Southampton cruise port with no problem back in 2013. I'm just wondering for those who had successfully walked to the Southampton port, when did you do it?

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/southampton-07-16-2014.pdf

No worries :cool:

I've seen similar threads in the past, querying the same erroneous source.

Tom's port guides are quite useful, but sometimes wrong - and this is an example of Tom getting it wrong.

There are no restrictions on walking into the port, nor have there ever been.

I confirmed this with port gate security staff a year or so ago. Whether you arrive by vehicle or on foot, it is possible that you may be quizzed what business you have in the port before being allowed to pass through - but even that's unlikely because with most cruisers their business is pretty obvious.

They do, however, very sensibly suggest that folk heading to the QE11 cruise terminal take a taxi because it's deep in the port along a road where pedestrians are separated from heavy truck traffic by only a yellow line. Not mandatory, just good common sense.

The other 3 cruise terminals are only a short walk into the port.

JB :)

About 15 minutes, no hills. Two major roads to cross but traffic lights to help you across both.

Via dock gate 10 (the route below) is marginally shorter than via gate 8.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.9071441,-1.4127476/City+Cruise+Terminal,+Herbert+Walker+Avenue,+Southampton/@50.9034405,-1.4199145,16z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476b8bb188961:0x2e8004abdbec5986!2m2!1d-1.4141004!2d50.9000994!3e2

If it's raining you might change your mind about a taxi (around 6GBP)

JB :)

Thank you, JB. Can you say if it is feasible to walk from the train station in Southampton to embark from the City Pier? It does not look to be far on a map and we will not have an excessive amount of luggage. We will be sailing NCL Jade in June.

It is feasible if your ship is docked at the Mayflower Terminal. If the ship is docked at the Ocean Terminal, it's a little bit farther but feasible. Not sure where the City Pier is.

We walked from Premier Inn (96 Harbour Parade) to Ocean Terminal to embark and walked from Mayflower Terminal to the train station when we disembarked last year (6/2016). We only had carry-on luggage and took our time.

We walked to the station from Ocean terminal with cases no problem at all.

QE2 is the only one I wouldn't walk to from that station.

We don't mind walking with cases, and it isn't for everyone, but it is a relatively easy walk with decent pavements and good crossing points on the roads.

We walked last September.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn the night before and our ship docked very close to the hotel.

We did have a little hiccup...it would have been about a one block walk...BUT we were there when they were setting up for a HUGE boat show, and they had the road fenced off! So we had to walk all the way around the block...which was pretty far, but not that bad.

Taxis are really cheap - you wouldn't pay any more than ?10. It's not worth the hassle of walking particularly on a cold or wet day

It's about a mile and a half walk, so not much of a hassle for someone with just carry on bags.

Does anyone know which dock NCL Jade will use in June? This is in South Hampton and we are in need of info on where to leave a car.

Thanks

It varies from cruise to cruise. Last time I looked there were even some cruises where the ship leaves from one terminal and arrives back at another.

Check this link to find the relevant terminal for your cruise.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

It varies from cruise to cruise. Last time I looked there were even some cruises where the ship leaves from one terminal and arrives back at another.

Check this link to find the relevant terminal for your cruise.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

Thanks Keith....I knew you would be the one who would know or be able to provide needed info. I always appreciate your well thought out responses.

It's about a mile and a half walk, so not much of a hassle for someone with just carry on bags.

I just find it funny that people spend £000s getting to Southampton and then £0000s on a cruise only to be looking to save money on a taxi - even with just one case each. It's not a relaxing, scenic walk and for anybody who wants exercise it would be more interesting to walk the City Walls in the morning. However that's only my opinion

I just find it funny that people spend £000s getting to Southampton and then £0000s on a cruise only to be looking to save money on a taxi - even with just one case each. It's not a relaxing, scenic walk and for anybody who wants exercise it would be more interesting to walk the City Walls in the morning. However that's only my opinion

Well, for me it is absolutely nothing to do with saving money. I'd just rather walk.