Staying on board Oasis or beach day in Nassau?

We did the hotel day pass in Nassau. I didn't care for the place and we've done this in a lot of the ports. We stay on the boat, but we've also been to Nassau quite a few times.

Which hotel did you not enjoy? I'm torn about what to do as well and I have a reservation at Breezes.

It was the Breezes last time that we didn't like. But to be fair, this was last October so they were still cleaning up from the hurricane. It might be better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am thinking about doing the Blue Lagoon when we are in Nassau. My daughter loves dolphins. But we are only docked 8:30-3:00 and I read some reviews that said the boat ride to get to the Blue Lagoon island is 40 minutes. The boat leaves the island at 1:00, 2:00 and I think 3 or 4. So we would have to leave by 1:00 to guarantee we are back. Makes for a quick visit (only 3.5 hours on island) not sure if it is worth the cost.....

We just got back from Harmony as well, and didn't mind Junkanoo beach... but then again, we were just 2 adults looking for drinks, chairs, and an umbrella in the sun on the beach :). If we had kids, we would never go back. Just the two of us- will likely be back :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Add us to the group that doesn't get off the ship (no matter which ship) in Nassau. We've stopped there probably 10 times and only got off twice. Once to see it ourself, the second time because we were with our (grown) children who wanted to see it. We enjoy the ship (good day for a massage) that day and relax.

I realize I'm about to repurpose this thread, but then again, so did the whole Seinfeld thing (Art Vandelay? This is my boyfriend?). I want to spread a little love for Junkanoo Beach. Is this the best beach in the West Indies? No. But if you are looking for a free, easy excursion within easy walking distance from Nassau cruise port, I for one think this is great. It is uncrowded. The sand is nice. The water is clear. A previous poster commented on never taking children. I wouldn't tell someone what to do with their own kids, but we went recently with four adults and four young children, and they had a blast. There were some Bahamians selling things and braiding hair on the beach, but they were friendly and not at all pushy. The girls wanted some braids, and we had a nice time talking with these ladies. We also had some some amazing conch fritters at a stand right there on JB. Again, great opportunity to sample some friendly and rich Bahamian culture. We found Junkanoo beach to be a wonderful complement to our stop at the cruise's private island. It was a nice chance to be a tourist but also to interact with, and not just exploit, the country we were visiting.

I would stay on the ship and take advantage of the better access to the areas & activities.

The last time we were in Nassau with RCI we only got off the ship to have our pictures taken in port (Nancy's very photogenic :D) and then we got right back aboard and lounged in the sun :cool:

I am thinking about doing the Blue Lagoon when we are in Nassau. My daughter loves dolphins. But we are only docked 8:30-3:00 and I read some reviews that said the boat ride to get to the Blue Lagoon island is 40 minutes. The boat leaves the island at 1:00, 2:00 and I think 3 or 4. So we would have to leave by 1:00 to guarantee we are back. Makes for a quick visit (only 3.5 hours on island) not sure if it is worth the cost.....

We went to Blue Lagoon just 3 days ago on our Majesty cruise but we only did the beach break. Lovely beaches, lots of chairs and some shade, trip over took about 30 minutes once we were underway. We got there about 1100 but did not have to leave until 4pm, I would not have done it if we had to leave at 1pm.

Sherri:)

I realize I'm about to repurpose this thread, but then again, so did the whole Seinfeld thing (Art Vandelay? This is my boyfriend?). I want to spread a little love for Junkanoo Beach. Is this the best beach in the West Indies? No. But if you are looking for a free, easy excursion within easy walking distance from Nassau cruise port, I for one think this is great. It is uncrowded. The sand is nice. The water is clear. A previous poster commented on never taking children. I wouldn't tell someone what to do with their own kids, but we went recently with four adults and four young children, and they had a blast. There were some Bahamians selling things and braiding hair on the beach, but they were friendly and not at all pushy. The girls wanted some braids, and we had a nice time talking with these ladies. We also had some some amazing conch fritters at a stand right there on JB. Again, great opportunity to sample some friendly and rich Bahamian culture. We found Junkanoo beach to be a wonderful complement to our stop at the cruise's private island. It was a nice chance to be a tourist but also to interact with, and not just exploit, the country we were visiting.

I agree with you, Junkanoo is not the best beach and certainly, nothing fancy, but it's not a bad beach!:D We've been there a couple of times, it's just a nice, little beach to relax at for a few hours with a beer or two.

This has not been mentioned but I went to the Pirate Museum in Nassau. It is dated but we had a great time reading about the real Pirates in Nassau years ago. It is a short walk from the pier. Black Sails fans will get a kick out of it. Did you know pirates did not bury treasure. They dank up their winnings...

I have also been to the Atlantis to stay many times. It is a beautiful water park. It can be cold depending on the day and time of year. They have a lazy river that takes about 20 minutes to do the full circle. There are slide rides you do in tubes too. Lots of different pools..etc. It is a great water park but not worth the expense of doing it for a few hours. I know people book the hotel across the street for the day to get 4 people in much cheaper than buying the day passes at the Atlantis.

I have also just walked into the water park on a cold day in November. No one even asked to see my band. A friend wanted to see the hotel and pool area so we went and just walked in. I was surprised to see no security

Thank you for this - very helpful... we will be in Nassau for the first time in April on Oasis. We are planning to check out Junkanoo beach. I have watched several videos and it looks like just an OK beach so I know what to expect. Also, its free and an easy walk so if we don't like it or don't feel like staying long we can just head back to the ship.

We went to Blue Lagoon just 3 days ago on our Majesty cruise but we only did the beach break. Lovely beaches, lots of chairs and some shade, trip over took about 30 minutes once we were underway. We got there about 1100 but did not have to leave until 4pm, I would not have done it if we had to leave at 1pm.

Thanks so much for the feedback Sherri! Did you eat lunch there by chance? If so, how was the food?!

Are the flowriders open while the ship is in port in Nassau? What else is open on the ship while in Nassau?

I would love to know if it's "business as usual" when these big ships are docked in Nassau as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would love to know if it's "business as usual" when these big ships are docked in Nassau as well.

The flowriders were open on our Oasis class cruises when docked in ports.

• 2 weeks later...
My family of 4 will be on Oasis in May. Could you please share information regarding public beaches in Nassau. Thank you:)

You may have a long wait for a reply. The person who posted that never comes back to reply to any threads she has previously contributed too.

Hopefully somebody else will comment with the information you are looking for or try the port of call board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Bill