MS Amsterdam - Seattle Boarding Times

lynn2002

Hi

In late July we will be boarding the Amsterdam for a 14 night Alaska cruise departing from Seattle. What are the normal boarding times for the Amsterdam sailing from Seattle? I am planning our sightseeing in Seattle and looking to see what we can do on the morning (maybe just go to the market).

The HAL, fleetwide, worldwide, boarding procedure is boarding starts at or very close to 11:30. It doesn't change by port or ship.

Exceptions: Unusual, unpredictable issues. And Koningsdam is experimenting with more formally scheduled boarding.

Good morning,

We've sailed out of Seattle numerous times and we time it to be at the port by 10:00. Sometimes we have to wait outside but it's not for long. More often than enough we're checked in by 10:30 and waiting enjoying some people watching. DH is wheel-chaired on so we're among the first groups on the ship. I want to be on it every minute I can! The Amsterdam is one of our favorites. We go at the beginning of July and can't wait.

Karen

On the flip side of boarding early the departure time is 4:00 pm but the "must be onboard" time is earlier - like 3:00 pm (check your docs closely) this would allow time to drop luggage and go downtown to Pike Place or the waterfront for a few hours and be back by 1:00 pm - comfortably early. Allow a little time for cab or bus rides from Pier 91 to downtown - about 3 miles. Pike Place can get very busy on weekends by 9-10am but with Amsterdam sailing on Mondays crowds could be reasonable.

Sounds like you are staying downtown if you are planning on seeing the Pike Place Market. The Market has a variety of "opening" hours depending upon what you want to see.

Breakfast: 6 am

Fresh Produce & Seafood: 7 am

Official Market Bell: 9 am

Crafts Market: 10 am-4 pm

Farm Tables: 8 am-4 pm

Merchant Hours: 10 am-6 pm

The Smith Cove cruise ship terminal is about 3 miles away and depending upon traffic, it can take 10 to 30 minutes to get there. Also there can be a slight line up of cars to get you to the terminal itself.

Others have provided you with terminal opening times and the times to be on the ship. I think it depends on what you want to see and when you want to begin enjoying the ship.

No matter what you choose, have a great cruise.

We have also sailed out of Seattle several times. And we have done your 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Amsterdam twice. It is a wonderful itinerary.

We like to get to the pier by 10:30, go through security and get checked in. I also have to use a wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation days. So getting there early to be able to get one of HAL's few chairs is a must for me to get on the ship early. Otherwise you can wait a while for a chair.

Thank you all for the advice given.

I also love to board ships as early as we can but as we have so little time in Seattle (couldn't take any more annual leave from work) I'm working out how to see as much as we can in the time we have. We arrive on Saturday evening, so we have the whole of Sunday and the Monday morning. I'm also tempted to do the tour with HAL at the end of the cruise which will then take us to the airport in time to catch our flight and not have to struggle with luggage.

Before heading for the ship I want to pick up some flowers from the market for our room. I like the idea of having our breakfast at the market - any place recommended where we can sit down to eat? My daughter, nearly 13 years old, also wants to visit the first ever Starbucks as she loves them.

My daughter, nearly 13 years old, also wants to visit the first ever Starbucks as she loves them.

There's a line there that looks like it goes on for years (at least there was when I was there). Keep that possibility in mind if you plan to have breakfast there, or possibly even to get a cup of coffee.

Looking at it was enough for me.

... I like the idea of having our breakfast at the market - any place recommended where we can sit down to eat? My daughter, nearly 13 years old, also wants to visit the first ever Starbucks as she loves them.

Our favorite breakfast spot at the Market is Lowell's (website: http://eatatlowells.com/). We often ferry over from the west side of the Sound to meet one of our sons (the one who lives in Seattle) for breakfast there The entry is about 100 yards to the right/north of the vendors trying to stick a salmon in a tourist's ear :D, across from one of the fruit and veg vendors. It opens at 7 a.m.; arrive soon after they open to avoid the rush if you can. You can go to the second floor and get wait service or pre-order and get a number and go to the third floor and your food will be brought to you. The food is great (the Market Breakfast with seriously tasty bacon is my favorite), and they have the attraction of picture windows overlooking Elliott Bay and Bainbridge and other islands across the Sound (but competition for the tables at the windows can be tough). A consolation is to sit market-side on the second floor, in booths by the bar, and watch the tourists below looking at, or photographing, the produce.

The "original" Starbucks is a couple of blocks north of the main market building -- the original closed and moved to its current location many years ago, but was still the only one at the time, so it was grandfathered into the "no chains" rule for stores in the market area. (And, yes, what Ruth said about the lines). In a similar provenance, you can also see the original Sur Le Table nearby.

There are many things to see in Seattle, museums, the zoo, underground tour, etc., but if you have the time, the inclination, and good weather, you might consider a ferry ride on Sunday to Bainbridge Island and back. There is a small central section on Bainbridge near the ferry terminal, mostly along Winslow Way, with shops and restaurants. And, the 35-minute crossing each way if the weather is clear (but not guaranteed, this is the Puget Sound after all) could provide some great scenery, including possibly Mt. Rainier. Cost currently is $8.20 for adults, $4.10 for age 6-18 or seniors 65+, but you pay only for the crossing from Seattle; the return trip is free.

Hope you enjoy my home area,

Dave

I would suggest getting to the Pier between 11am and 2pm. You need to have dropped off your luggage and checked in before 3pm. Then there is the muster drill on board.

I'm not sure of Seattle traffic, but based on another post in this thread it seems like leaving the market area by 1:30 would be good.

It seems like you could check out of your hotel and leave your bags at the front desk (unless perhaps you could get a 1pm late check out), go to the mark for flowers and breakfast, return to your hotel for your bags, then leave around 1 or 1:30 for the pier and arrive around 2pm.

While Pier 91 has room for two ships, according to the Port of Seattle web site the Amsterdam will be the only ship docked there on Mondays in July in August, so that should help cut down on traffic.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

P.S. A bit of trivia, but if you follow the waterfront north from the Market to Pier 91, you will drive right past the Holland America HQ building at 300 Elliot Avenue. At one point there was a large ship's anchor out in front of the building, but I don't know if it is still there or not.

P.S. A bit of trivia, but if you follow the waterfront north from the Market to Pier 91, you will drive right past the Holland America HQ building at 300 Elliot Avenue. At one point there was a large ship's anchor out in front of the building, but I don't know if it is still there or not.

HAL headquarters moved from 300 Elliot Ave.

I used to like seeing the building, with the HAL logo on it, on the way by.