First Cruise to Alaska

toescat

My DH and I will be going on our first cruise to Alaska and cannot not decide what excursions to do. I am asking all of you former Alaskan cruisers for your help. I do want to whale watch, eat king crab, see a glacier, see bears and eagles, eat more crab, eat salmon, etc.

I would definitly include the White Pass RR while in Skagway. Gets you up into the mountains and gives the history of the area. Hopefully it will be a clear day. Otherwise cancel it and do spmethung else. This excursion sells out fast.

Our very favorite thing to do in Alaska was the helicopter ride to the top of a glacier - we were able to get out of the helicopter and walk around the glacier and even have our picture taken by the Alaska flag. Such a great memory!

This is not an excursion, but it will address your king crab craving. In our last AK cruise we discovered Tracy's King Crab Shack in Juneau. Awesome. We have two AK cruises currently scheduled--one in September and one in April 2018. I know where we will be heading on both Juneau visits. I also know that we will be having very light dinners those evenings. ;-)

Thoughts....

• there should be a whale watch/Mendenhall combo in Juneau. This should satisfy your Humpback glacial desires.
  • your ship shows Tracy Arm on its itinerary which has Sawyer at the end of a 31 mile Fjord. Sadly, there's typically ice congestion where it will be substituted for Endicott for glacier viewing. This is your second glacier opportunity.
  • before returning to the ship in Juneau.... plan for a meal at Tracy's Crab shack. Best known for king crab meals on Alaskan cruises.
  • check out these vids for excursion inspirations....

cF1l3vfKWAM RiaOlvSRMAk DXGMBuyRWoE

My DH and I will be going on our first cruise to Alaska and cannot not decide what excursions to do. I am asking all of you former Alaskan cruisers for your help. I do want to whale watch, eat king crab, see a glacier, see bears and eagles, eat more crab, eat salmon, etc.

In Juneau, do whale watching with Harv & Marv. You will see whales and a glacier.

Book well in advance. With only six passengers on each boat, it can see out early.

Second the vote for the White Pass Railway to the Yukon and back by bus. It really is a must do and something you'll talk about for years.

Do the Mendenhall Glacier on your own. There are bears hiding our there and if you tread quietly, away from others you'll certainly see them.