Rotterdam West. Caribbean questions.

KathiB

I am looking at an itinerary on the Rotterdam next March, 2018. It leaves from Tampa and goes to some interesting ports that are great for our interests...scuba and beaches: Roatan, Cozumel, etc. I know it is an older ship. I have been on RCL's Brilliance of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas. Also have been on Holland's Westerdam to Alaska and am booked on a Windstar Tahiti cruise next July. I really prefer smaller ships and that is what appeals to me about the Rotterdam...it carries a bit over 1400 passages. I have vowed never to get a ship with over 2000. So the questions: Is the ship showing its age? Has anyone been on this itinerary? This trip would be a sisters trip with my sister. We are both in our 60s, very active, and enjoy meeting people. But not interested in shows, entertainment, shopping, and bells and whistles of larger ships. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Of course she is "showing her age". But mainly in the number of coats of paints on the exposed metal work. Might be more visible spots of rust, which also comes with the territory the longer one is at sea, the harder it is to stay ahead of it.

But beyond that, not sure what you want to know about "showing her age". Interiors get refurbished on a routine basis,"improvements" get made (whether we like them or not), but we have been many days on her and she ranks pretty close to being a favorite. And we love her fresh take on her decor, color and spots of artistic whimsy that is lacking on her more dour sister flagship, the Amsterdam.

Agree with you about size of ship - we too love the smaller ones and take them whenever we can. Though the larger and newer Nieuw Amsterdam did steal our heart so when the time comes and the smaller ships are gone, this won't be too bad of a choice. Though the idea of decks and decks and decks of cabins on the N'A compared to our "little guys" which are just classic, old-fashion sailing ladies is still hard to get past.

I think you and your sister will have a very nice time- small enough to become familiar, but large enough to keep things interesting. Just watch out for the dead end stairway leaving the lower dining room on the Promenade deck that dead ends, because the kitchen is in the way. That was the only built in nuisance as I recall.

(Old fashion is not necessarily "showing her age" which is why I needed more info - they keep HAL ships in good shape. Too valuable t to the them get run down - as in intentionally ragged and tatty. But fusty perhaps in design and decor - however that for many of us is the charm of HAL - old shoe comfortable. There is no glitz and eye pop on these "old ladies - more pearl clutchers. )

Thank you. I really appreciate your comments. I like the "pearls" comparison. We would be fine without a lot of glitz and bling.

I haven't been on the Rotterdam in years, but I will be on her in just a bit over 3 weeks.

I'll be doing a live thread and reporting, but by all means, if you have any questions, just post and I will do my best to answer (internet permitting ;) ).