Two Cabins - Person Switch

We are traveling with another couple. The hubbys drink and the wives don't. So I booked the men in one cabin (for the drink package) and the women in the other cabin (for the dining package).

(And NO, I didn't do this to cheat NCL for free drinks. I simply don't drink at all and didn't want to waste the perk or pay the $100 service charge for something I absolutely won't use.)

So my question is can we get the this switched around once on board? Or will we just be limited to one working key card to get into our cabins?

Thanks all!

That's great thinking. I know a couple of couples with this predicament, and they just don't buy the package for two when only one drinks. Myself included.

It's not that you are cheating NCL, its that they've been cheated, I'm sure. Ask any seasoned waitress in any restaurant, they've seen folks order a coke and a water, then split the coke.

They can tie different credit cards to different keys in the same room. But I'll bet you'll have to arrive back at the room together to get in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can't switch, but you can get extra keycards (to open the door only) so that one husband and one wife will have to carry two cards instead of one - new one to open the door to the "wrong" cabin and old one that still opens the door for the "right" cabin (that they were booked in), to charge things to their onboard account with, to enter/exit the ship, etc.

As Demonyte said, one of the husbands and one of the wives (from different couples) will end up having to carry around 2 cards all the time. So figure out ahead of time who is more willing to do that (it may be perceived as a huge inconvenience for some, while others just shrug it off). And each couple should decide ahead of time which room they actually want to sleep in during the cruise. Keep in mind that both couples will have access to both rooms, in case there are any pranksters in your group.

I'm sure some would consider this cheating or "gaming the system", or maybe it's just "smart". I'm sure NCL would prefer if you didn't do it, but then again some PCCs will actually suggest this sort of arrangement if people don't think of it themselves. In the end it's something that is allowed within NCL's rules and policies (unlike, for example, sharing a drink package or using someone else's dining package or sneaking friends into the Haven etc. etc. and all kinds of other things that people come on here all the time saying that they want to do).

In the end it's something that is allowed within NCL's rules and policies (unlike, for example, sharing a drink package or using someone else's dining package or sneaking friends into the Haven etc. etc. and all kinds of other things that people come on here all the time saying that they want to do).

Actually if this was allowed, they could just switch so that ship's manifest would show correct people in correct cabins. But you are correct about that it is not enforced onboard at all unlike other not allowed things you listed as examples.

Thanks all! And I do believe the hubbys that wanted the drink packages shall be the keepers of the extra cards.

If you do that, then the wife sleeping in the "wrong" cabin can't get in without her hubby opening the door.

I have done it before. Weird thing was it couldn't be done when registering before getting on ship, it had to be done when on ship at the ship services desk. Seemed like it happened often and a very easy process, took less than 5 minutes.

We did that recently. Nothing wrong with it. They force both people to pay the gratuities on the drink package so no reason to put non drinkers in the cabin. But yes, one husband and one wife will have to get an extra key. No big deal - they are easy to tell apart. Your ship card has your name and all the info on it, the second card is blank.

We had a balcony with one person (but two booked in it) and an inside across the hall with two (but one booked in it); our room steward figured out the deal when we asked her to put the two suitcases in the inside and one suitcase in the balcony and we didn't have any issues with requests going to the correct cabin.

Just have to remember which cabin you are booked in for billing purposes. And each cabin will have to set up separate accounts for each person (since the guys are in one and girls in the other).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on the Dawn this past fall on a B2B and did the same thing. We weren't in the same cabins on the 2nd leg so had to get new cards anyways. The first leg we had to have the two cards. The second leg a different guest services worker helped us and was able to get us to just one card each. Not sure why the difference, but it wasn't that big of a deal having 2 cards.

I have done it before. Weird thing was it couldn't be done when registering before getting on ship, it had to be done when on ship at the ship services desk. Seemed like it happened often and a very easy process, took less than 5 minutes.

Correct. We did this also on a cruise with another couple. Couldn't change the key cards on the dock - had to do it at guest services after boarding.

It was done with no complaint by NCL, but they never got the beverage and restaurant packages sorted out, so one person of each couple actually got packages they were not technically entitled to.

We have a similar problem. We are traveling with a 19 year old grandson. He is very mature, does not drink, smoke or has never tried any drug!! Unbelievable in this day and age. Anyhow he is booked into a mini-suite with my husband and I am booked in a studio down the hall. My husband and I would really like to sleep together. Ridiculous that our 19 year old cannot sleep in the studio!!! Guess we will get 2 keys to the mini-suite.:confused:

We have a similar problem. We are traveling with a 19 year old grandson. He is very mature, does not drink, smoke or has never tried any drug!! Unbelievable in this day and age. Anyhow he is booked into a mini-suite with my husband and I am booked in a studio down the hall. My husband and I would really like to sleep together. Ridiculous that our 19 year old cannot sleep in the studio!!! Guess we will get 2 keys to the mini-suite.:confused:

You will automatically get two keys for the mini-suite: one for your husband and one for your son. So access to the various cabins isn't an issue. What is an issue is that unless you sort this out with Guest Services, you will have to make sure you're using the right key to scan on and off the ship. The keys are tied to your identity photo taken at the dock, and if you use the wrong key your identity will not show up right on the security scanners.

I don't know if NCL will give your son his own key to the Studio. As you point out, there is an age limit for solo studio cruisers. But if you could get a second key for the studio and a third key for the mini-suite, you'd be all set. You'd just be toting around two key cards, and you'd have to make sure you used the right one to get on and off the ship.

I have a party of 5- 2 parents and 3 kids- 20, 18, and 15 when we sail. We wanted to put the kids in a room and us in a room like we normally do on cruises...Parents had to split up since the 20 year old who lives by herself in US cant be the oldest on the boat in the room across the hall from us! When we made the reservation, the guy booked me ( mom) with the girls and dad with the son. He told us just to switch when we get on board.

Why don't they use 18 as the age of maturity--you can vote, get married--everything but drink

Damage prevention. Higher age limits for unsupervised young adults are commonly used on cruise ships even in countries where drinking age is 18.

Why don't they use 18 as the age of maturity--you can vote, get married--everything but drink

It's ridiculous. As above, a girl of 20 who has her own home cannot stay in a cruise ship cabin without an 'adult'. Crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Celebrity allow just one passenger in a cabin to buy a drinks package. How sensible!

Some people will abuse the system by buying drinks on the card for the other guest, but most people are basically honest, and losses are minimal.

Look at self check-outs in supermarkets.