Our Arabian Adventure onboard MSC Fantasia - 4th - 11th March 2017

peteukmcr

Internet access permitting I'm going to try and provide a review of MSC Fantasia and the sailing around the United Arab Emirates and Oman.

We flew from Manchester, UK direct to Dubai, departing on Friday evening, 3rd March onboard one the three daily A380 services offered by Emirates. It was the first time for us on this aircraft and I have to say we were pretty impressed with the comfort in economy, seat pitch and the size of the seat back TV must be hard to beat, and the number of movies etc is staggering.

Anyway we arrived slightly ahead of schedule in Dubai and taxied towards Emirates terminal 3, dedicated for the A380. Wow, I've never seen so many of this type of aircraft at so many air bridges!

As we'd got 2 of the seats in the rows just ahead of business class in the upper deck, we were the first passengers off the plane and headed towards immigration and the baggage hall, via several fast travelators to minimise what would be a very long walk, and a long underground train ride to the main terminal.

Once we'd cleared immigration and collected our bags we headed outside to meet the first of several MSC staff directing us, firstly to a bag drop off truck and then winding our way back to the coach for the short ride to the port. Didn't realise our bags wouldn't be travelling with us on the coach, so don't have anything in them that you might need when you board, because the next time you'll see them is when they are outside your cabin.

After an overnight flight and an arrival at the port at around 9am (I'd now been awake, except for a very short nap on the flight, for something like 22 hours) so I wasn't at my best for taking initial snaps of Dubai! However, here's a couple, one being the skyline of the city from our balcony and another of the QE2 which we passed on our way to Fantasia, who it's a shame to say is looking in a very sorry state, looking totally abandoned moored in Dubai. Not a fitting end for previous 'Queen of the seas'.

b87b05a71669d53a3f214541dcfd385e.jpg

4553ae5e2879ba858d130cd9095ed740.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check in was painless and after being stopped for the obligatory photo with the ship as background, we passed through the security scanner and boarded the ship.

Our paperwork was checked and then our security photo taken as were our passports. Then we were directed to the buffet for breakfast.

We were told a couple of times by the cruise director that our cabins would not be ready until 1pm, yikes, that was 3 hours away.

So we wandered around and finally 'bedded' down in the Il Transatlantico bar to try and nap as by this time exhaustion was taking over. That was the scene all over the ship, people crashed out in the lounges and on deck on sun beds. Looks like most people travelled overnight.

Even though we had the Premium Allegrissimo package we had no cruise cards as these would be in the cabin, we couldn't purchase anything. More on that later.

Anyway by 1pm we heard no more, so headed off to cabin 12223, and yes it was ready, our bags were outside so we headed in.

No cruise cards though.

I called reception and was told quite brusquely that as they were being handed out in the L'Insolito Lounge all morning (which we had been handed a flyer about and were told at check in - err no we weren't) then they were now being brought to the cabins and would be arriving 'soon'. And soon they did as our cabin attendant arrived with them.

Now, perhaps I'm too impatient, but when we boarded Splendida last October, all the info re complimentary dinners, welcome back parties, robes etc were in the cabin. This time nothing and by the way it's now day 2 and still nothing. The complimentary spumante and chocolate covered fruits haven't turned up, neither have the bathrobes. Later in the cruise reception tell me.

Anyway back to day 1, so we grab a bit of lunch as muster drill is at 8:30pm and so 2nd sitting dinner is delayed until 9:15pm.

We then catch some much needed sleep for about 3 - 4 hours and shower, change and head out for a cocktail. We head to the L'Insolito lounge as we enjoyed this location on Splendida. Anyway the curtains were closed as the lounge was being prepared for a party so no view.

We had a cocktail and then headed to the Il Transatlantico bar for another and then headed back to pick up our life vests for muster. This was held in the El Sombrero Tex Mex restaurant for us and was organised better than on Splendida.

After that, we went back to drop them off and headed off to Il Cerchio D'Oro on deck 6 for dinner.

We were assigned table 811 and this proved a little challenging for the waiter to find, anyway we did, and it turns out to be a table for 8, so who will join us we wonder? Well it turns out to be a family of 3 from Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire, a single gentleman from Yorkshire, and a married couple from Belfast (the lady is from Belfast her husband from Scotland) so we've pretty much covered the north of the UK!

Service was slow, but perhaps we're still tired after all the travelling, the menu is good though and I decide on the Caprese followed by a Rural salad, then Veal for main and strudel with custard and a side order of vanilla ice cream for dessert.

However, the drink service is even slower, but I think that goes with the size of table and all the different orders, some with the Allegrissimo package, some with the premium and some with none at all.

We were due to sail at 11pm and we did, before we'd finished dinner, but we did manage to finish and head up to the top deck to see Dubai disappear in the distance.

We headed off for a couple of more drinks and then retired as we had an early start for our excursion in Abu Dhabi.

One tip about any pre purchased shore excursions, check at the desk that your trips have actually been booked as even one of the staff said they don't always get sent to the ship! No tickets were in our cabin when we boarded, so I did check and our trips were on the system and the tickets for our first one were in the cabin when we returned.

I do find it strange that you don't know the start time until your tickets arrive and then you have to check on the Daily program for the time and meeting point. I'm used to purchasing excursions where I can choose the time, and even if not a specific time, it's morning or afternoon.

So we found we needed to be awake at 7am and get ready for the day, another short nights sleep, but some of the blame for that lies solely with us!

Day 2 later....

Btw I'm using the free wifi at the Abu Dhabi cruise terminal (yes from our balcony!) as I write this. So after today I can't guarantee the frequency of my updates!

As more people disembarked here in Abu Dhabi today and more new passengers boarded, there's another muster at 8:30 pm, so 2nd sitting dinner is again rescheduled until 9:15 pm with sail away at 11pm. It's White night dress code tonight, so as tomorrow is a sea day we guess that'll be Gala night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update on day 2. - Abu Dhabi.

After a short sleep, up at 7 am and a trip to the buffet for breakfast.

Meeting time for our tour was 8:30 in the L'Isolito lounge. More like organised chaos. However, eventually I got our tour stickers and hung around until a guy on the microphone told us if you have your sticker then head forward and then down to deck 4 to get off the ship.

Off we went and collected our landing card which we had to keep whilst in Abu Dhabi and which would be collected upon our return.

We headed off on our tour at 9am which gave us a chance to see the Sheik Zayed Mosque, the Emirates Palace Hotel, the Corniche and a fruit and vegetable market.

Our guide gave us plenty of information and so the 4 hours were well spent.

The entry to the mosque is quite involved with personnel checking everyone is dressed appropriately and scanning of all belongs (and the confiscation of any food, snack, chocolate etc) as these are banned inside the mosque.

This building is stunning and photos don't do it justice.

After the tour we returned, had lunch and relaxed, still catching up from the trip over.

Now it's time for evening cocktails and another late dinner. I do hope tomorrow it is slightly earlier. Some snaps to follow

............... after being stopped for the obligatory photo with the ship as background

We always refuse to pose for that one, Pete.

Even though we had the Premium Allegrissimo package we had no cruise cards as these would be in the cabin, we couldn't purchase anything. More on that later.

We were able to get drinks - the waitress just needed our cabin number. The Allegrissimo was already in the system.

Anyway by 1pm we heard no more, so headed off to cabin 12223, and yes it was ready, our bags were outside so we headed in.

No cruise cards though.

I called reception and was told quite brusquely that as they were being handed out in the L'Insolito Lounge all morning

............... we heard that over the tannoy. As we upgraded our package to premium just after embarkation our cards were issued there so no need to go and pick them up.

........(which we had been handed a flyer about and were told at check in - err no we weren't)

we didn't receive one either, Pete, nor were we told anything about it at check-in.

Now, perhaps I'm too impatient, but when we boarded Splendida last October, all the info re complimentary dinners, welcome back parties, robes etc were in the cabin. This time nothing and by the way it's now day 2 and still nothing. The complimentary spumante and chocolate covered fruits haven't turned up, neither have the bathrobes. Later in the cruise reception tell me.

We had the same experience, Pete, though we requested the robes from our steward on the first day. On day 3, I went to see the Cruise Consultant regarding the missing Prosecco and lack of any information regarding the Black Card perks ie thermal suite and complimentary dinners. He said that it was Gala night so the bubbly & choc fruits would be brought to the cabin that evening! As for the other stuff, he started to outline what we were entitled to. I already knew this but it should be in the cabin at embarkation for those who may not be familiar with what perks there are and how to go about using them! We never did receive an invitation to the Welcome Back party which a friend had asked if I'd attended - when I mentioned this at the Black Card event I was told by the CC that he would speak to Housekeeping about it. I told him there wasn't much point as there wasn't anything to be gained by it at that stage!

I've added these comments to your terrific review, Pete, as there are a number of folk on the forum who are keen to see reviews of this itinerary and I just thought it would be good for them to know that your experiences mirror mine from last week's sailing.

Brilliant review so far Pete, looking forward to the rest - we'll be getting on the ship next Sunday at Abu Dhabi!!

Great info too Bea!

Bit worried about the cabin cards though as we intended to board the ship around 9ish and after a freshen up leave the ship to see a bit of Abu Dhabi. Not sure how we can leave the ship before 1pm if the cards aren't ready!

Any ideas if this is possible??

Pete

Thanks for these updates, we are booked for Feb next year on a simmilar/identical itinerary.

Do you have any trips booked for Sir Ban Yas Island?

No not yet, nothing booked for Sir Ban Yas

Brilliant review so far Pete, looking forward to the rest - we'll be getting on the ship next Sunday at Abu Dhabi!!

Great info too Bea!

Bit worried about the cabin cards though as we intended to board the ship around 9ish and after a freshen up leave the ship to see a bit of Abu Dhabi. Not sure how we can leave the ship before 1pm if the cards aren't ready!

Having learnt that cards are available then I'm sure it's possible

I've added these comments to your terrific review, Pete, as there are a number of folk on the forum who are keen to see reviews of this itinerary and I just thought it would be good for them to know that your experiences mirror mine from last week's sailing.

Thanks for the update, seems like Fantasia is run a little differently than Splendida. I'll be off to see someone tomorrow too. It's funny what's important to you isn't it? For us it's the bottle of fizz and complimentary dinners, not much else. I did overhear someone else telling an officer that they'd not received invites too.

Great info too Bea!

Many thanks. I hope to be able to give some more updates as the week progresses.

I suggest that you ask at embarkation when the cards will be available in L'Insolito lounge. I get the impression they're there from early - we just didn't need them so didn't go in search of them.

Thanks for the update, seems like Fantasia is run a little differently than Splendida. I'll be off to see someone tomorrow too. It's funny what's important to you isn't it? For us it's the bottle of fizz and complimentary dinners, not much else. I did overhear someone else telling an officer that they'd not received invites too.

Pete ............. Fantasia is running differently to anything else I've ever seen on an MSC ship - and not in a positive way, I'm sorry to say.

As for "seeing someone" - best of luck with that. I found the Cruise Consultant less than helpful, to put it mildly. As for the Black Card event, the greatest waste of my cruising time - I hadn't wanted a pre-dinner cocktail with my DH but that is what I had! What I did want was an opportunity to give feedback to someone who might care enough to take an interest in what I had to say, alas, it seemed nobody cared enough to even ask!

Great, thanks Bea, I'll def do that!

How did you rate the cruise overall Bea?

I've been on the Divina in the Caribbean, presuming it will be similar, we loved that, also did NCL Getaway last year. Loved that even more!

Great info too Bea!

The cards are there from when you board.

After we boarded, we got something to eat, changed our clothes in one of the bathrooms, collected our cards and we were back off the ship heading into Dubai by 11.30.

Upcoming

Carnival Paradise September 2017 Western Caribbean

Past

Msc Fantasia January 2017 U.A.E & Oman

Carnival Valor May 2016 Bahamas

Great info too Bea!

THIS IS OUR CONCERN TOO...SOUNDS CHAOTIC DOESN'T IT?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app