Spray Tans and Cruising

jesskuhmarie

As someone who has tanned in a tanning bed to get a base tan each summer since I was 14 (and I'm 28 now), I think I have finally come to my senses and decided not to step foot in a tanning bed ever again.

However, I am naturally pretty pale and have a lot of summer clothes that completely wash me out in the winter, so I'm considering getting a spray tan for my cruise coming up in May. I've never had a spray tan before, so any general advice is welcome, but since I can get that anywhere, I'm mostly looking for specific things I need to consider related to the cruise. How long before the cruise should I get it done? Will it wash off before the trip is even over if I'm in the pool/ocean everyday? Any other factors I need to consider specific to being on a cruise?

As someone who has tanned in a tanning bed to get a base tan each summer since I was 14 (and I'm 28 now), I think I have finally come to my senses and decided not to step foot in a tanning bed ever again.

However, I am naturally pretty pale and have a lot of summer clothes that completely wash me out in the winter, so I'm considering getting a spray tan for my cruise coming up in May. I've never had a spray tan before, so any general advice is welcome, but since I can get that anywhere, I'm mostly looking for specific things I need to consider related to the cruise. How long before the cruise should I get it done? Will it wash off before the trip is even over if I'm in the pool/ocean everyday? Any other factors I need to consider specific to being on a cruise?

This might answer a few of your questions:

http://cosmetbeauty.com/spray-tans-last/

Spray tans....good for your skin...but they don't last long....salt water AND treated water (well, pretty much ANY water) will fade your fake tan. It's fine, if you know that going in....it might get you past that "winter white" stage...but it will fade..and there are areas where you will look "dirty"....ankles, wrists, neck, knees...wherever the skin folds seems to fade the fastest. The best look is the day after the spray...and maybe the next day. It will NOT last a week...that's for certain.

Bring some sunscreen and start a real tan, to sort of "compensate" for the fading. Perhaps by day 4, you will have enough color to not need the fake stuff.

There are tanning lotions, but lord have mercy...they are a PIA, and take SO much time..and most have a very (to me) repulsive odor...

I applaud you for not doing the tanning beds...I've had several places cut off, or frozen off.... (I'm 62) and it's not pleasant or pretty....but the fake tan is just that...fake. Embrace your pretty, young skin....ain't nothing like it!

I suggest you try a spray tan well before your cruise, to see if you like it. Good ones need to be left on for several hours to develop before being showered off. The colour you see immediately is mostly there so the spray tan operator can see where the tan is going.

Have the spray tan the day before embarkation, leave it on as long as possible but shower it off before going to bed. Make sure you exfoliate all over before having the spray tan.

Think of a spray tan as a temporary measure while you develop a natural tan. The spray tans don't usually last more than a week, and often less if you're in the pool a lot. They are great for the first few days of your cruise though.