Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 10

pierces

I don't like big cities. I never have. They are crowded, expensive and usually smell like pee in the summer months. Sadly, big cities are the source for a great number of jobs and mine is one of them. My job is a good one, I work with a great group of people, and I actually enjoy the work I do. The home office, unfortunately, resides in a big city. A few times a year, I make the pilgrimage and for a week, I become a city-dweller. The face-time with the team is a good thing but my long-standing opinion of cities is always reinforced. One exception to my negative views is found through my camera. At the right time of day, in the right place (preferably above the pee smell), cities can be beautiful.

Pretty City

p2236008393-5.jpg

Dave

Nice shot!

Us country boys are curious! Is it Chicago? Is it HDR?

But whatever the place or shot, it is great!

It is Chicago. Not HDR but I pulled the shadows up a lot after I merged the JPEGs.

Dave

Heinz NWR:

Tree Swallows

Heinz%202017-03-08-12%208X10%20WM_1.jpg

American Coot

Heinz%202017-03-08-75%208X10%20WM.jpg

Heinz is the first urban (Philadelphia) National Wildlife Refuge. The next two, while not great shots, illustrate that point.

Behind the Northern Shovelers is an on-ramp to I-95 across from Philadelphia International Airport:

Heinz%202017-03-08-47%208X10.jpg

Eagle on the nest, the pair has been producing offspring for quite a few years, and this is as close as you can get even with a 500 mm lens. Less than 100 yards behind the nest is I-95. The egg(s) should hatch during the 1st week of April.

Heinz%202017-03-08-71%208X10.jpg