Tuxedo Rental

Nikkibird

My husband is considering renting a tux from one of the services for our cruise. Does anyone have experience with this and do they have an exchange service or repair service on the ship if there is a problem with it or if it does not fit right??:)

We rented from Princess's affiliate when we cruised in September. It was extremely convenient and looked great on the DH. There was a rep on board the Sapphire; for minor alterations, replacements, etc. I believe they have one on all Princess cruises.

at JCPENNY. and it is wool and not microfiber. They sell them mix and match, so you can get whatever pieces fit.

$69. for the Jacket

$29. for the pants

$29. for the shirt, bowtie, cumberbund, cufflinks etc.

It cost me almost a $100 last year to rent one for the prom for him. He can use it for this cruise and his prom this year and I'll be money ahead.

smiles Patty

I wish I owned a tux and should really consider buying one. However, I hate to pack the darn thing and the rental is so convenient. I have done it twice and both times the tux was nice, not great, but nice. Plenty of options and if the pants are to short or maybe the waist is a little tight they will exchange them for ones that fit better. There in your closet when you arrive and you leave it in the closet when you leave.

A couple of points to consider:

1) Not everyone on board will observe the 'formal' dress code for those evenings.

2) You can do just as well by taking a dark suit and adding a colorful bow tie. Most people won't know the difference.

Normally, DH takes a dark suit. But this time we have rented him a tux. It is a holiday sailing that covers Christmas & New Years, so felt that jusified a tux. Our friend is even getting tuxes for himself & his boys. They will look great! Anyway - I have read alot on here and haven't heard anything bad about the rental - only positive comments. If you aren't going to cruise often or DH tends to fluxuate alot in size over the years (like mine), renting is quick & easy! I like the fact that I don't have to pack it and there is more room for my stuff! ;)

DH usually wears sport coat and tie and mentioned he thought it was time to switch to a tux. Claims he is doing it for me, but I think we wants to upgrade his look. So we're going to check out the JCPenney option. But as mentioned above, his weight fluxuates between cruises. And it would be nice to not have to haul it across the country in a suitcase and then press it as needed.

Buy a tux. Buy a nice one too. Lots of good places online. Nothing like having a tux that fits and wears well. Not that big of deal packing it along with everything else. I am so glad i bought one last year and can't wait to wear it in Jan again. Kinda gets the wife goin' too...:D

There is also a store called Men's Warehouse. Prices are reasonable and they will also tailor them.

My husband got one for our first cruise and yes, he does look sooooo good in it and will wear it again for our next cruise. He could have gone with his dark suit but decided he would like to wear the tux for the formals. Yeah, it did take up more room but well worth it.;)

I'm looking to perhaps surprise DH with a tux rental - for our vow renewal on board - so if I order what I think are his sizes and it doesn't fit, they can make changes on board? He has not been in a tux since 1978, so I'm anxious to see how he looks! Thanks.

Peggy

Make sure you get your DH measured at a tux shop at home before you enter the measurements online at Cruise Line Formal. Just offer the person a little tip for their trouble and they'll be happy to help you.

One thing I just learned yesterday is that all tuxes are not available in all ports. For example, for Galveston, they didn't have the Ralph Lauren vest sets and they didn't carry tuxes for boys either. We really had to be flexible, as just about everything we requested wasn't available for this port.

Several years ago, we go into a situation where we had 3 cruises at the sametime, spread out over the next year or so. I did the math and realized that it would be cheaper just to buy a tux and the associated accesories. Plus I knew we would be taking additional cruises in the future. One of the best purchases I have made.

Archived