Transport from Monte Carlo to Nice

bozzie6

We are on the Riviera cruise from Rome to Monte Carlo in June. Will be spending several days in Nice post-cruise. Anyone have info on the best way to get from the port in Monte Carlo to a hotel in Nice.

Have your hotel book a limo. Almost all hotels have regular drivers available.

Google this on line. A car service found on line is almost always cheaper than a hotel driver. The hotel makes a profit most of the time also. Cruise Critic boards are also a good place to start. We had a good one about four year ago and if I can dig it out I will post it here for you. Good Luck.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but it is sort of related. How does O handle this when you take their flights for cruises that end in Monaco/Monte Carlo being as there is no major airport there? Does one arrange their own transfer from the ship to the airport (i.e in Nice) just like they would be expected to do if disembarking in Miami?

Not meaning to hijack this thread but it is sort of related. How does O handle this when you take their flights for cruises that end in Monaco/Monte Carlo being as there is no major airport there? Does one arrange their own transfer from the ship to the airport (i.e in Nice) just like they would be expected to do if disembarking in Miami?

I am only guessing here, never having taken O's air.

AFAIK, taking O's air does not include transfers - those are only included with hotel packages.

Thus, you have to arrange your own transfer to Nice or take their (usually) overpriced transfer. This is probably similar to the London - Southampton or Rome - Civitavechhia situation.

Maybe someone who has been in this exact situation can comment?

Yes. After I posted I realized that just because there is no airport there that is no reason a transfer would be provided. Not unlike as you say, the long drive to the airport for Rome from "its port", Civitavecchia

I was just struck with the 'how to' when I realized there is no airport. Unless of course, one wants to arrive a la James Bond via helicopter. Seems fitting for Monte Carlo :)

You've helpfully set me straight. My post can be ignored

You haven't said how much luggage you will have or where in Nice your hotel is located. This does make a difference trying to to help you. I used to live in Nice.

Cheapest way is this. If you are ok with dragging the bags, then you can take the 20 min walk from cruise port round that area and then up via escallier to Monte Carlo railway station for the railway to Nice Ville. Get off there and make your way to hotel, If your hotel is not centrally located in Nice, then you need to give us more info if you want a better transfer.

Please don't do a hotel limo unless you are extremely rich in which case...you don't need anyone's advice on this forum

Edited by durante

If you decide on the train, beware of pickpockets. Some friends of ours had a purse stolen on the train but were very lucky as there was no money in it - only their passports. The thieves threw it in a rubbish bin in Niece where it was seen by a Good Samaritan who realised that it was needed and called the hotel on the travel documents. They got their documents back and the person refused a reward.

Having said that the train service is clean and regular and an easy way to get to Niece. Just don't talk to anybody on the train.

Allan

We had our hotel book its designated driver at 60Euros, charged to our account,for our transport to the ship, about 30 minutes. We tipped 10 Euros to the driver.

Why bother with walks, busses or trains when you spent BIG BUCKS on the cruise!