Has anyone tried to bring an essential oil diffuser?

I too would like to know if the essential oils odors can be smelled in other cabins. I am super sensitive to smells and would hate that... obviously I am not a user and do not want to be a second hand user either... I did not see where anyone answered this question...

I am VERY anti-smell as I am not just sensitive, but often very allergic. I have never had any issues from essential oils, and have not ever experienced an instant headache, instant sneezing fit and being unable to breathe when exposed to someone who is using them. Quit the opposite. While, I haven't made the investment to buy the oils or their diffusers, but I wouldn't think it would be that you could smell in the hallway. As I have been reading, I come to the conclusion that I would have to be careful about the quality of the oils, as lesser oils might actually cause me to have a negative reaction.

Thanks for asking (and answering) this question as I was just pondering whether or not to pack my diffuser.

Pure, high quality EOs won't cause a reaction, even in people allergic, because they aren't a "fragrance" - they are the actual plant distilled into a concentrated oil. If you have a reaction to an essential oil, it is most likely it is adulterated with a chemical fragrance. Some companies do this to stretch expensive products further or because they don't have access to the actual plant (many of the most popular essential oils are actually from plants that are in limited supply in the world). The other possibility is that the plant was sourced from a poor quality supplier who got plants that are treated with toxic pesticides or other chemicals. The alchemical process of distilling the plant into the oil changes its chemical structures to the point that you won't have an allergic reaction even if you are allergic to the plant. For example, I'm allergic to chamomile and get hives when I drink it or apply it to my skin but can use chamomile in essential oil with no reaction.

Diffusers should never have so much oil in them that you smell them outside the room. In fact, the scent of the oil should actually be so subtle that you don't really smell it in the room either. The chemical constituents of the oil stimulate the olfactory cranial nerves and thus the central nervous system even when you cannot specifically "detect" a scent.

(I studied research on the effects of EOs on the central nervous system for my doctoral degree and have been apprenticing with a master herbalist and chemist who produces his own artisinal, organic line of oils for health providers, and use them in my medical practice - so that is where this info comes from).

Thanks for asking (and answering) this question as I was just pondering whether or not to pack my diffuser.

Pure, high quality EOs won't cause a reaction, even in people allergic, because they aren't a "fragrance" - they are the actual plant distilled into a concentrated oil. If you have a reaction to an essential oil, it is most likely it is adulterated with a chemical fragrance. Some companies do this to stretch expensive products further or because they don't have access to the actual plant (many of the most popular essential oils are actually from plants that are in limited supply in the world). The other possibility is that the plant was sourced from a poor quality supplier who got plants that are treated with toxic pesticides or other chemicals. The alchemical process of distilling the plant into the oil changes its chemical structures to the point that you won't have an allergic reaction even if you are allergic to the plant. For example, I'm allergic to chamomile and get hives when I drink it or apply it to my skin but can use chamomile in essential oil with no reaction.

Diffusers should never have so much oil in them that you smell them outside the room. In fact, the scent of the oil should actually be so subtle that you don't really smell it in the room either. The chemical constituents of the oil stimulate the olfactory cranial nerves and thus the central nervous system even when you cannot specifically "detect" a scent.

(I studied research on the effects of EOs on the central nervous system for my doctoral degree and have been apprenticing with a master herbalist and chemist who produces his own artisinal, organic line of oils for health providers, and use them in my medical practice - so that is where this info comes from).

A lot of people confuse smells and fragrance. Which are actually 2 very different things. You explained it perfectly. Most people who say they are allergic to smells (or fragrance) are actually allergic to the chemical compounds they breath in. You don't get these from oils. It's more like your smelling an orange or some basil lol.

I've dealt with this at work. I have a roller with a oil blend I use to help get rid of my headaches. And it really works for me. But I can't really use it at work because we have a "scent free policy". If one of the "anti-scent" people in the office smelt it they would report me to management. I'm not kidding. There are people that would say something just because they could smell something nice even if it's wasn't causing any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Did a search although this is an old thread I thought it would be good to keep it going....

I was hoping to find others had taken one on board and since we are sailing on Princess I am hoping that Carnival Corp already allows them.

I plan to diffuse On Guard which could be very beneficial for germs on board ;)

I brought mine on Carnival Pride, no problem at all. As long as it doesn't have a heating element (and most don't), you're fine. I tried a couple different blends from different companies. Ultimately, we liked doTERRA DigestZen for sea sickness the best. Helped everyone in our family feel better after a rough day at sea.

I have brought my YL diffuser on every cruise I have been on with no issues. I just pack it in my checked back (packed carefully) and never have a problem. I love bringing it! It definitely helped me on our cruise on the Magic a few weeks ago when we hit major waves and got seasick.

I'm traveling RC (Allure of the Seas) soon and wondering if there's USB ports in the cabins for a YL USB diffuser? Anyone know by chance?

When I was on the Allure a few years ago, I don’t believe there is a USB port. What I do is take one of the iPhone charger ports (plug in with no cord) and plug my USB diffuser in there and it works perfect! I also have a YL travel orb diffuser I bring if I don’t bring my full size diffuser.

Never thought about bringing a diffuser on a cruise because the liquid is "combustible", at least the Pier 1 diffuser liquid is. we have in our house. Maybe bring some pot pourri in a baggie and put in a dish in the cabin. In the Neptune Suites on Holland America we have been given small lavender sprays for our pillows and we love it. I still have several of them left and bring them to hotels.

As with any pyramid marketing, I'll never buy or sell these products. That said, there was a co-worker 3 cubicles down from me that had one of these diffusers. I only smelled it when I walked past her cube and I'm here to tell you it smelled WONDERFUL. Almost made a believer out of me.

I use essential oils in a diffuser every day, and have nothing to do with pyramid or multi-level marketing, either buying or selling. The brand referenced in this thread didn't create the concept and there are plenty of others out there, even right off the shelf in drug stores. Since I started using it on a regular basis, I rarely get sinus infections anymore, and I used to have them at least once a year and required antibiotics.

For those concerned about being impacted by the scent- I have a small one I use in my office, and no one notices the scent at all, unless they are actually in my office. This is even if the door is open.

As with any pyramid marketing, I'll never buy or sell these products. That said, there was a co-worker 3 cubicles down from me that had one of these diffusers. I only smelled it when I walked past her cube and I'm here to tell you it smelled WONDERFUL. Almost made a believer out of me.

Check out Rocky Mountain Oils. They are high quality and direct retail.

As for the combustibility someone mentioned, pure essential oils are not the same type of oil as oil that burns. My son wanted to see if he could light it on fire. (It was relevant to a discussion we were having.) To his disappointment, he could not.

And as for quackery, eastern medicine as well as France and Germany have a lot of recorded evidence of the benefits. The FDA will not certify them, but we don't have all the answers. I'm not saying they will cure cancer or Alzheimer's but there are a lot of benefits.

And I like to pack light so when I travel I bring a USB diffuser with me. For bathroom odor, a couple drops of lemon oil in a sink of hot water works wonders!

I wonder how many of these oils are manufactured in countries with few quality production standards. We've certainly imported plenty of asbestos laden wallboard, poisoned pet food, and clothing with unsafe chemicals added. Who knows what additives are put into these oils (or vape catridges)?

For a product that gets inhaled via my lungs and circulated through my blood stream, I would want a product guaranteed by a physicians' group before I would use it.

I wonder how many of these oils are manufactured in countries with few quality production standards. We've certainly imported plenty of asbestos laden wallboard, poisoned pet food, and clothing with unsafe chemicals added. Who knows what additives are put into these oils (or vape catridges)?

For a product that gets inhaled via my lungs and circulated through my blood stream, I would want a product guaranteed by a physicians' group before I would use it.

If you buy from a reputable company they will tell you where the oils came from and how they were extracted. The cheap ones in the drugstore are the ones that are harmful to inhale.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

That’s why my daughter, and now me, only use Healthy Living Essential Oils and their products. Check them out, read their story. Very pure products, and very safe diffusers. I do not go as far as my daughter, and bring them on my cruise, but she swears by it, and claims that it keeps her and her children healthy throughout a cruise.

That’s why my daughter, and now me, only use Healthy Living Essential Oils and their products. Check them out, read their story. Very pure products, and very safe diffusers. I do not go as far as my daughter, and bring them on my cruise, but she swears by it, and claims that it keeps her and her children healthy throughout a cruise.

Can you link this brand please?

Remember when cigarette companies had advertising campaigns about how they used ingredients in their products that were supposed to alleviate stress, worry, and whatever else ailed you? They stuck to that line for years after they developed internal studies that proved to themselves that cigarettes were carcinogenic. Didn't admit it for decades though, until government regs and lawsuits forced them to do so.

At least Exxon Mobil, Shell and other oil companies have now publicly admitted, again after decades of denial, that their products have played a role in climate change.

Who knows for sure what's in an "essential" oil or vape cartridge? Great marketing name though.