Dunedins latest tourist attraction for cruisers

I am not surprised. I go op shopping wherever I go, with St. Vinnies being a favourite. My American friends think Opportunity Shops is a neat name for Thrift Shops.

They are the best place to buy items not made in China, as well as pure cotton shirts, which are ideal for the tropics.

Yes - I have been to that shop myself. Often call into Op Shops when I'm in port - you never know what bargains you will find. Once bought a brand new pair of Levi jeans for $2.

And according to my brother who lives in Dunedin, Port Chalmers would really love to have some cruisers actually spending some time (and money) in their shops and cafes instead of all zooming off to Dunedin.

We have walked around to Carey's Bay Pub and enjoyed a coffee/drink/food there and then wandered. We loved the Maritime Museum in Port Chalmers, too. Spent a couple of hours there. Have never been able to get into the Church - will try again next year. fe

Oh yes, I forgot the books. Most of my unique cook books came from Op Shops.

The beauty of cruising is that weight is not a problem!

"weight is not a problem"

Well not till I get home anyway.

We have walked around to Carey's Bay Pub and enjoyed a coffee/drink/food there and then wandered. We loved the Maritime Museum in Port Chalmers, too. Spent a couple of hours there. Have never been able to get into the Church - will try again next year. fe

We enjoyed the beautiful cottage gardens in Port Chalmers and went to a Christmas Concert in the Church.

We had a delicious seafood chowder at a cafe just up the hill from the newsagency at Port Chalmers. I think the name was The Gallery or similar. Been there twice on different cruises and the food was good value each time. We overnighted at Port Chalmers due to bad weather and it was great to have extra time there. We had also stayed overnight at Tauranga as part of the original schedule. Would love to see them do this more. The crew loved it!