Specialty Dinning for a Family with 2 Teenage Boys

canadadreamer

Just wondering about specialty dinning. We will be going on our first cruise on the Escape, and both my husband and myself qualified for free specialty dinning. We are also traveling with my two teenage sons. I have 2 questions 1) Do we just pay their food bill when we are dinning at one of these restaurants? 2) They are teenage boys, therefore don't appreciate fine dinning yet. They would prefer a gourmet burger over steak or lobster. What dinning options would you suggest on that ship? LOL I know their favorite will be the buffet in the end, but as a family I would like to enjoy a sit down meal together.

Let them eat in the garden cafe or osheehans on their own. You enjoy a meal for two. Works for us. Kids are happier to go join their friends and we get a nice evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Enjoy a sit down meal together in the MDR. Why pay for them to eat in a Specialty if you don't believe it will be their thing? The choices aren't merely specialty or buffet, as your post implies. Sit down for dinner with them at O'Sheehan's for wings, burgers, fajitas, gourmet hotdogs, etc.

We have the same issue with picky teen daughters. We did have our kids eat most meals with us and since we had the dining perk, we were going to figure out some places that we'd all be happy. They can eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet. Dinner was more about having the experience together. Our favorites were La Cucina, on the Escape you can dine outside and it's lovely. Basic Italian food.

Cagneys was also very nice. My girls, neither one eat steak, they were happy with salad, shrimp cocktail, I can't remember what else they order.

The option is, pay for them to dine in the nicer restaurant with you and have family meals or let them go to the buffet and have separate meals. Towards the end of the week, I really didn't need to be dining with them for every meal.

Can teens not order from the regular MDR menu in the specialty restaurants? We've got the same situation coming up but I thought I read our 9-year old could still order from the kids menu. Don't the servers have to go to the MDR to get his meal when he does this? The last cruise we were on he was included in the promo. The only restaurants where he used the promo were Moderno and Teppanyaki. He loved both of those places. There's no Moderno on the Spirit so we'll only have to pay for him to eat at Teppanyaki (assuming we can get ressies since you can't make those online).

Can teens not order from the regular MDR menu in the specialty restaurants? We've got the same situation coming up but I thought I read our 9-year old could still order from the kids menu. Don't the servers have to go to the MDR to get his meal when he does this? The last cruise we were on he was included in the promo. The only restaurants where he used the promo were Moderno and Teppanyaki. He loved both of those places. There's no Moderno on the Spirit so we'll only have to pay for him to eat at Teppanyaki (assuming we can get ressies since you can't make those online).

Kids can order from the free kids menu everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They can order from the kids menu, but not the regular MDR menu. On our last cruise 3 years ago, we took our kids to Le Bistro (when it wasn't a la carte), figuring it was a good way for them to experience a nice restaurant for a low cost (5 kids between the ages of 10 - 17). Only my middle one ate off of the kids menu, and the others loved trying new things, plus the ambiance. Escargot was a big hit with my boys (10 and 15 then). I'm bummed that Cagney and Le Bistro are no longer one set price - we just went out to a nice local steakhouse and dropped close to $300 on dinner. Turns out my kids really enjoy nice restaurants!

You are talking about 2 different things.

Yes, your 9 year old can order from the kids menu in specialty restaurants.

No, the OP's teen sons can't order from the regular MDR menu and have it brought to a specialty restaurant.

Cruising was the way we finally got our daughter to try new foods. I was convinced she lived on air, then chicken for years. We put stipulations on our cruise that she had to try something new each night. Guess what!!?? She found many things that she loved!

As to upscale restaurants on the ship.....if you buy the additional dining package for your sons, I would highly suggest Moderno (as some one else has already indicated). They have such a great range of choices. But, if you feel they can handle being on their own (and act appropriately without adult supervision), I also think that you and your spouse could have some quality time in the upscale restaurants while your children take in the MDR or burgers elsewhere. A ship is certainly a place to let them spread their wings in relative safety, so long as you have prepped them on correct behavior and they understand the usual warnings about awareness of their surroundings, etc. (And to be quite honest, we always enjoyed watching our children when they didn't know we were around....we would see them dancing or some other venue....and it gave us a glimpse into the adults they would eventually become!)

If the Escape has a Moderno, I would also recommend it for teen boys. We have a Brazilian steakhouse near us and both my young adult children love it. They found the varieties of steak and chicken quite acceptable even though they didn't get much from the salad/vegetable buffet, and they both LOVE the grilled pineapple. Also, a side benefit is that it is all you can eat, and when my kids were teenagers, they put away a lot of food! lol

Just wondering about specialty dinning. We will be going on our first cruise on the Escape, and both my husband and myself qualified for free specialty dinning. We are also traveling with my two teenage sons. I have 2 questions 1) Do we just pay their food bill when we are dinning at one of these restaurants? 2) They are teenage boys, therefore don't appreciate fine dinning yet. They would prefer a gourmet burger over steak or lobster. What dinning options would you suggest on that ship? LOL I know their favorite will be the buffet in the end, but as a family I would like to enjoy a sit down meal together.

Mom and Dad have the option of using their Specialty Dining at lunch (Pincho Tapas ($7 upcharge) for all you can eat Tapas) or Margaritaville (and possibly invite the boys for a burger). Then eat all of your dinners, as a family, in one of the complimentary dining rooms (Manhattan, Taste, Savor, O'Shehans, and the good 'ole buffet).

Or feed the kids at the buffet (mom and dad can snack on a few fries), send them off to the teen club, while Mom and Dad go off for a proper sit down dinner (steak,,, no lobsters on board).

Mom and Dad have the option of using their Specialty Dining at lunch (Pincho Tapas ($7 upcharge) for all you can eat Tapas) or Margaritaville (and possibly invite the boys for a burger). Then eat all of your dinners, as a family, in one of the complimentary dining rooms (Manhattan, Taste, Savor, O'Shehans, and the good 'ole buffet).

Or feed the kids at the buffet (mom and dad can snack on a few fries), send them off to the teen club, while Mom and Dad go off for a proper sit down dinner (steak,,, no lobsters on board).

These are teens, mommy and daddy can send them to eat anywhere! Most likely, they will ditch the parents by day 2, and have dinner with their new friends. The teen club is used mostly as a place for the teens to meet up before heading out for the night.

Everyone is different, but we like to eat at least a couple of nights as a family when we are on vacation. For us that is part of what makes a vacation memorable. Can you buy a dinning package for others in your party, when 2 received it for free? If so do you know how much it is?

of course you will want to have, at least a few dinners together: I would suggest the Italian restaurant followed by Modernos. Maybe Cagney's but not Le Bistro. Yes, you will just be charged for the boys. Have a great cruise.

I'd use the specialty nights for you and your husband if the boys are old enough to fend for themselves. They can do buffets, or the MDRs on their own. I've got three kids (12, 13, 16) and they typically want to eat fast and get back to whatever fun they are having. It's nice to have a few nights where my husband and I can linger over a nice dinner without the kids.

of course you will want to have, at least a few dinners together: I would suggest the Italian restaurant followed by Modernos. Maybe Cagney's but not Le Bistro. Yes, you will just be charged for the boys. Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the tips. Yes we are thinks Modernos, Cagney's and Food Republic.