Anti-malarials Labadee.

Nope. You will be in an enclosed area on a peninsula. We have been to Labadee three times with number four coming up and have taken no additional precautions.

Malaria is spread by mosquitoes. I'm not sure they respect the fact that the area is "enclosed".

I would have this conversation with a physician specializing in travel. The CDC does recommend antimalarials for Haiti in general. I've never taken antimalarials for a visit to Labadee.

Fortunately, the Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malaria are nighttime biters and are usually lay their eggs in moving water; you'll be there during the day, and I don't recall any moving water in Labadee proper. The Aedes mosquitoes that spread Zika and Chikungunya feed during the day and reproduce in stagnant water. Personally, I'd use a good insect repellant while on the island, which should minimize your risk of any of the three diseases.

I would have this conversation with a physician specializing in travel. The CDC does recommend antimalarials for Haiti in general. I've never taken antimalarials for a visit to Labadee.

Fortunately, the Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malaria are nighttime biters and are usually lay their eggs in moving water; you'll be there during the day, and I don't recall any moving water in Labadee proper. The Aedes mosquitoes that spread Zika and Chikungunya feed during the day and reproduce in stagnant water. Personally, I'd use a good insect repellant while on the island, which should minimize your risk of any of the three diseases.

Thank you good information and advice.

love sailing with RCCL

The malaria mosquito (the female, Mrs Anopheles) lays its eggs on still, standing water just like other mosquitos,( hence the local news saying to get rid of any standing water around your house these days regarding zika etc).

The main "help" to people in Labadee is that that mosquito is nocturnal and your ship has gone by then.

Good question tho', malaria is not to be trifled with.

We always see a travel clinic before we cruise. Before we stopped in Labadee last year they informed us as the other posters have, that the anopheles mosquito which carries malaria bites in the evening and at night, and since you are gone by then, anti-malarials are not necessary. Other mosquitos do bite and carry other things like Zika and Dengue, so its still not a bad idea to bring bug spray. We didn't see a single mosquito while on Labadee though. It was also really windy the day we were there.

I've never heard of anyone getting malaria there. I've been 3 times and been fine.

However the CDC does say:

HaitiAll (including Port Labadee)ModerateNoneP. falciparum 99%

P. malariae rareAtovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, or mefloquine

I think though that the risk is so low that you're more likely to get a severe side effect from the medications. Doxy is probably safest although you have to avoid sun exposure if you're on it.

I am of haitian descent, and I have family members/friends constantly travelling to Haiti several times a year (my in-laws are there right now, my coworker just came back from spending 2 weeks there) and I have never heard of anyone I know contracting malaria. My mom said it used to be an issue several decades ago, but not as common now among travelling diaspora/tourists.

Wear strong repellent?

We are on the Mar. 18th Freedom cruise and today was at my doctor for repeat of pills, ha again asked where we sop & only said use strong repellent and reapply after out of the water. And yes says biggest risk is night time & ya we will not be there.

Can't wait, now COLD, Windy & snowing here :-(

We have never been bit by a mosquito on a cruise. In FL prior to and after a cruise, but not while on one. There is a reason ships leave Labadee prior to dusk and it's probably partially to protect against mosquitoes. Other than making sure my tetanus shot is up to date, we don't worry about anything else. We've been to Labadee at least 5 times, Malaria isn't something I've ever seen reported on these threads. Normally you need to be in an infested area more than a few hours to become infected. Malaria is much more typical for people who travel to infected areas and stay for more than a few days.

United States Center for Disease Control shows to take precaution against Zika in Haiti - (mosquito repellant...)

re Malaria - does show all of Haiti - including Labadee - I was on Labadee in November of 2016 and did not take pills before going and happily did not get bit by anything. Then again, I didn't really think about needing anti Malaria meds for Labadee.

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/h.html

(I had all of my vaccines updated before we went on a South American cruise in 2016 and I am not planning to be in an area with Malaria any time soon.)

Precaution against Malaria is not a vaccine...pills to be taken at a certain time before your travel.

You may want to check with your physician and take the anti Malaria pills to ease your concern.

We do. An ounce of prevention...

So, you don't have any reaction to the meds? I have a friend who did a safari in Africa years ago and the meds made her sick. Apparently, it's pretty common.

So, you don't have any reaction to the meds? I have a friend who did a safari in Africa years ago and the meds made her sick. Apparently, it's pretty common.
The CDC lists several medications. I believe we (me, wife, DD) took Mefloquine. We had no problems at all.