Free Method of Contacting Ship In Emergency

A cruise ship passenger can be contacted free of charge by calling the American Red Cross. They will send an Amcross message to the passenger at no cost in case of emergency.

Thank you fellow poster Wennfred for sharing this information! Sure beats paying $9.50 per minute and needing a credit card to use the number Carnival provides! :)

A cruise ship passenger can be contacted free of charge by calling the American Red Cross. They will send an Amcross message to the passenger at no cost in case of emergency.

Thank you fellow poster Wennfred for sharing this information! Sure beats paying $9.50 per minute and needing a credit card to use the number Carnival provides! :)

When we received our cruise documents from NCL, we were assigned a personal e-mail address for use while on board. I left this address with relatives in case they needed to contact us.

The internet fee was .75 per minute, plus some other options for specific plans.

There were also instructions about calling a ship directly.

I would suspect that each cruise line has a method for family members to contact a particular ship via phone or e-mail.

On Princess you can contact the ship in case of emergency free via email.

Put the pax name and cabin # in subject line ..the message gets delivered to their cabin. It gives you instructions in your package.

Any amount of money is no consideration in an emergency. Waiting for debarkation at my last cruise, my name was called for a phone call. My father was on his way out of this world. E-mail would not have worked as we had already vacated the rooms. This is not the way you want to be the 'first off'. Whatever works, Red Cross, personal phone call, doesn't matter. Appreciate the info though. Hopefully it is something none of us will ever have to use.

Just curious... How does the AMCross message get to the passenger? My mom and I cruise together and have no other close relatives so the only emergency would be if one of my biological family had a problem but I only talk to them every few months, or if something happened to our house. So I was just wondering. Thanks for the info tho.

Just curious... How does the AMCross message get to the passenger? My mom and I cruise together and have no other close relatives so the only emergency would be if one of my biological family had a problem but I only talk to them every few months, or if something happened to our house. So I was just wondering. Thanks for the info tho.

well I'm guessing here as frankly I never thought about using an AMCROSS msg to a cruise ship. However while Capt of a government vessel I received many for my crew. So, basing off my experience:

I'd guess the msg will be recieved by the communications officer, having been addressed to the ship (ship's can recv TELEX and other forms of text messages and did so LONG before e-mail.) The communications (or radio) officer will give it to the pursur who will get it to your room as quickly as possible. The sender, does need to know what ship you are on - and if they know the cabin so much the better.

AMCROSS even tracked these things for delivery confirmation which they would pass back to the sender, in our cases.

Is the NCL supplied email addy free to check?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here.

We did not pay for the e-mail address if that is what you are wanting to know. We did not use it, so I have no idea how it functions - they just

assign you the address, and it is included on the ticket when you get your docs.

If the cruise line charges for other internet access, it would seem that if this address is used there could be a charge.

I'm sorry I'm not able to give you a good answer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Internet Access on board the Spirit 1/8

3.95 set up fee a one time fee for duration of cruise.

if you use the ncl supplied email it is 3.95 per email, plus the .75 per minute.

if you use your own email, aol, etc. it is .75 per minute.

there are plans offered I think $50.00 for 100 minutes was one, reducing the charge to .65 a minute. I didnt buy a package so I am not sure if you save the 3.95 sign up charge by purchasing a package.

Towards the end of the cruise they offered one day 50% between 8-10 pm.

The last 2 days they offered I think $8.25 for 15 minutes and $12 for 30 minutes.

But we had no satellite for those days due to the storms.

I spent about 30 bucks just keeping in touch lightly with home over the 11 days, it was fine and better than searching for phone cards and hoping they worked at every island like my traveling mates did.

Take Care

Dee

Someone asked why not just pay the $9.00 per minute satelite fee. About 3 years ago my Mother died while we were at sea. My family constantly kept trying to contact me unsuccessfully. They finally did get ahold of me after talking to ship crew and amassing a $300.00 bill. When I phoned back(after attempting numerous times via satellite) I accured another $280.00 bill. ( connected and reconnected due to ship movement ETC. ). I will always be grateful to Celebrity Cruises for me to be able to access their line for free to be able to arrange flights and etc.) My final bill would probably be over $1200.00 if not for their compassion. Just think of yourself on the first or second night of a cruise and not coming back to your cabin till after midnight with a light flashing on your phone with your family frantically trying to reach you. Not good. USE THE INTERNET!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

LHT28 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Princess you can contact the ship in case of emergency free via email.

Put the pax name and cabin # in subject line ..the message gets delivered to their cabin. It gives you instructions in your package.

Do you have the email address???? we are leaving on friday. Thank you.

Archived