As we all get older, do we all prefer longer cruises?

Slarty

Our first two cruises were 7 days. Found they were too short having flown in from Canada and everything. Every cruise after that has been 14 days minimum. Far more relaxing and enjoyable. Much better, too, if you're just too tired to get off at a port - you don't feel like you're missing much if you miss getting off the ship in Jamaica for the fifth visit. Love sea days too. Just did a 16 day river cruise and added two additional land days at each end of the cruise. Fabulous! Now that we are both retired and have the time, more cruises are scheduled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why not try to have them registered as service cats? Is there such a thing? :D

Emotional support cats? I officially have one but I don't take her on holiday with me. She is there to react to my mental health needs and has saved my life on two occasions ....

Our 1st cruise was to Alaska for 7 days --- lousy weather, back went out --- vowed to never cruise again.....fast forward a few years & now 11-14 days is just right for us & yes, we're getting older. Since we have a dog to worry about, longer cruises aren't in the cards just yet but we are looking.

The longer the better! We started off on a 7 day, then 21, and last year a repositioning 25 day cruise. We love the sea days and five days in a row is just wonderful. Can't wait till November when we embark on a 31 day cruise, again on the wonderful Maasdam. Now we are retired and no longer have our dog to worry about :( we are able to take these lovely long cruises.

My greatest joy is stepping on the gangplank to board the ship. Also I dislike the time I have to leave the ship. I select a cruise for its itinerary and then seek;p for a longer length. I look at this economically also, since I have to fly to the port from where the ship sails. Getting ready for a cruise can be a hassle, so for me it should be at least in the 14 day or more length of time. Marianne

We are retired now and live in FL so short drive to all FL cruise ports. Hate flying now so that is great. Longest cruise we have done is 15 days to HI couple years ago for our 40th anniversary. That was just prior to retirement when we still lived in CO. Now we mainly do 10-11 days from FL ports. I personally could live on a cruise ship. Problem is DH who is not of same opinion. Would love to do a TA repo to or from Europe and then cruise around over there some, and hopefully some day before we get too old will convince DH to do this. There is a 24 day on Westy this fall that includes several of the Greek Islands that I would just love to do. Love sea days so TA would not be boring for me. Anyone else have this problem where you and spouse differ on cruise length preferences? Any solutions?

Thanks,

Jane

Emotional support cats? I officially have one but I don't take her on holiday with me. She is there to react to my mental health needs and has saved my life on two occasions ....

Cats are smart enough to Skype their support.

Anyone else have this problem where you and spouse differ on cruise length preferences? Any solutions?

We never had the problem, but I would have had the solution if we did:

Go without him. :hearteyes:

Anyone else have this problem where you and spouse differ on cruise length preferences?

In our marriage, we compromise - this is a direct quote from my husband: "My wife wanted a cat, I didn't want a cat, so we compromised and got a cat". Same goes for cruising. If DH is not entirely in favour of a longer cruise, I show him the cruise broken into 2 segments, just like we're doing in October. Instead of doing a 25 night, we're doing a 12 and 13, back to back. LOL :halo:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm still working, so the longest cruise I've been on to date is 16 days. I'm not sure I'd want to be onboard much longer than that, but I keep an open mind. For now, if I could take a longer trip I'd rather spend some more time exploring on land before and after the cruise than choose a longer cruise. (My cruises are mostly ex-US -- to be honest, mostly European, my area of specific interest.)

For the first 14 years of our cruising we both had to balance two jobs. Even with that complicator we quickly decided our optimum cruise length was 10-14 days. Once I semi-retired, and that's more like fully retired lately, it got easier to balance the schedule and demands of just one full time job. Concurrently our interests shifted away from just getting relaxing breaks in the Caribbean to more distant destinations so the last five years have been focused mostly on Med cruises. The result is we've extended our optimum cruise length to 12-16 days and with pre and post cruise land stays have been gone as long as 23 days. In fact, just yesterday we decided to see if we, along with our cruise partners, could put together a November 18-day Rome to Dubai cruise which with pre and post cruise travel will probably mean another 23-day trip.

Since our first cruise (7-day Alaska) most of our cruises have been 14-15 days. A couple years ago we basically did two 14-day cruises back-to-back on different cruise lines. So it was pretty much like taking a 28-day cruise. Cannot wait for our Voyage of the Vikings 38-day next year!!

We're retired:D DH doesn't like to be away from home for more than 2 weeks total (except for Alaska and trips to Great Britain)

For us to cruise from FFL it involves 2 nights going down (one en route and one the night before the cruise) and on on the way home. Thus 10 day cruises are the limit for us at this point.

We did a 5 day out of Charleston last May. It just didn't seem to be long enough :D for all the effort getting ready to travel. The only thing that saved it was that we'd sailed the same ship 5 months before so we didn't "waste" a day getting to know the ship.