Family legal document question

My 16 yo son is from my previous marriage and has a different last name than mine. He will have his passport in hand when we board Oasis next month. We are also going to bring a certified copy of his birth certificate. However, the birth certificate shows my maiden name, so it is different from my current married name.

My question is this - has anyone had similar situation and your minor had no problem boarding RCL? I am just wondering if the paperwork is enough or do I need to prepare more legal documents to prove our relationship.

Thanks!

You won't need his BC, since he has a passport....you might want to bring YOUR marriage certificate to show you are his mom...and you should have a letter from the father stating that it's ok for him to travel out of the country with you. Get it notarized.

My 16 yo son is from my previous marriage and has a different last name than mine. He will have his passport in hand when we board Oasis next month. We are also going to bring a certified copy of his birth certificate. However, the birth certificate shows my maiden name, so it is different from my current married name.

My question is this - has anyone had similar situation and your minor had no problem boarding RCL? I am just wondering if the paperwork is enough or do I need to prepare more legal documents to prove our relationship.

Thanks!

I'd get the notarized letter from the father that allows you to take the son out of the country, made medical decisions, and sign waivers.

We are ready for this possible situation....Our DS is sailing with their minor child (Mommy can't go to the caribbean is pregnant). While not very concerned about the cruiseline we are concerned about customs/immigration coming back in....so we're taking:

Notarized letter, minor's passport, copy of BC...Copy of Mommy's Passport and DL.

We wanted to make sure we have everything covered. ;)

My son is donor conceived, so I always travel with his birth certificate showing no father, and a notarised copy of a letter from the clinic. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

We are ready for this possible situation....Our DS is sailing with their minor child (Mommy can't go to the caribbean is pregnant). While not very concerned about the cruiseline we are concerned about customs/immigration coming back in....so we're taking:

Notarized letter, minor's passport, copy of BC...Copy of Mommy's Passport and DL.

We wanted to make sure we have everything covered. ;)

This became an issue at least 15-20 years ago when some parents moved abroad with their kids to circumvent custody rulings. Ships may be different, but as a corporate pilot, I can't depart US with a minor without both parents being present, or a notorized document authorizing travel from any parent not present.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This became an issue at least 15-20 years ago when some parents moved abroad with their kids to circumvent custody rulings. Ships may be different, but as a corporate pilot, I can't depart US with a minor without both parents being present, or a notorized document authorizing travel from any parent not present.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We're flying in/out US airports (LAX-FLL) so I think we have everything covered for flying & cruising if asked to produce it from any official. ;)

Sorry I'm confused? How do you come into this picture? A mother with Sole Custody has a court document stating that, and a birth certificate showing she is the girls mother. Depending on where you are going the girl may need a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm her step father taking her and her brother on Oasis this summer. Her mother will not be going. I figure mother can sign a consent form for both kids but will I have problems that the father listed on her birth certificate didn't consent to her leaving the country?

I'm her step father taking her and her brother on Oasis this summer. Her mother will not be going. I figure mother can sign a consent form for both kids but will I have problems that the father listed on her birth certificate didn't consent to her leaving the country?

Does the mother have a Recorded & Signed Court document giving her Sole Custody??? Sailing to what country? Does she have a passport, I'm assuming her last name is different than yours.

You need:

- court document giving wife Sole Custody.

- girls birth cert showing her mother

- bridging documents to mothers current name

- letter from mom giving you permission to leave country with this girl. Notarized!

- copy of mom's Drivers License (for the hell of it)

- passport for girl may be necessary

Go to the website of the country you are traveling to and see if they have requirements. You are traveling with a child you have no "legal" rights to. Be very careful. I'm assuming the girl has a different last name and that's what will start the questions.

Now if you do all this I'm betting no one will ask for anything, if you don't then they will want things you don't have.

Have a great time!

Now I'm concerned. My step daughter does not have any relationship with her father. Her mother has sole custody of her, will I have problems getting her on ship without him signing permission?

You'll be fine with a note from Mom and the paperwork that shows she has full legal and physical custody. That paperwork has to be notarized and signed by the judge who ordered it, not just the copy from the courts. I have sole legal and physical custody and this is what I use, and it's the same paperwork the government requires to get her passport without having both parents present.

EDITED: You won't actually need that paperwork from the judge as long as Mom signs a notarized letter, I forgot while I was writing this that the cruise line only needs permission from one parent, not two. However for passports she'll need that paperwork, and if she has it you may as well take it with you.

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. I really wish there was somthing more specific in black and white on RCCL's website. It says permission is needed from "parent(s)" if they aren't traveling. it all makes me very nervous about getting to the terminal and getting denied boarding.

People travel all the time with other people's children. Families take their kids friends to keep their own children company. Just get as much (go overboard) documentation together and you will be fine.

Is this a Caribbean cruise??

I am a mom who had sole legal custody - my daughter is now 21 so this is no longer an issue. When she travelled with others she needed an official copy of the custody order from the court (it was certified with a court seal not notarized), an official copy of my name change order (I reverted to my maiden name at the time of final divorce and the custody order had my married name), and a notarized permission to travel signed by me. My notarized letter varied slightly from what is often posted here because it included that I had been granted some custody on Date by specific court name which was backer by the order that was with her. Anytime we travelled out if the country I took the court order and name change order. On her 18th birthday we celebrated that the well worn foreign travel envelope was no longer needed

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in whether Royal will ask for. documentation. It's great that your son has a passport, but he's still a minor so theoretically they still need to ensure that he is being accompanied by a parent. The different last names though, could lead to questions.

Have his birth certificate, showing that "Jane 1stMarriedName", is his mother.

Then have a copy of your marriage license, showing that "Jane 1stMarriedName," subsequently remarried and became "Jane 2ndMarriedName." (If you went back to your maiden name in between and that's what's on your 2nd marriage license, then have the documentation for that as well.)

Presumably your current photo ID (be it passport or drivers license) will show your photo with your name as "Jane 2ndMarriedName" to prove that Jane 1stMarriedName and Jane 2ndMarriedName are the same person and that this is your son with you.

Of course, if you do all this they probably won't ask you for any of it, LOL, but better to be prepared.

Do not forget to take a document stating you can make decisions for emergency medical care. I once took a friend of the family who was 18, and we were denied boarding until we could reach his mother who faxed over the necessary paperwork. Not sure if this is still the case, but wouldn't hurt to have it. I did find some info recently on the RCL website , as we are thinking of taking our grandson on a cruise this summer.

I am a divorce lawyer and a step dad has a legal relationship with his step child so just a passport is necessary. You might get a bitchy clerk so you can have your wife give you a motorized letter if you are worried.

Think about it, you can have you stepdaughter on you health insurance plan, if you become disabled, she receives your dependent child social security disability, she receives dependent child unemployment benefits if you become unemployed. Once you married her mom, you legally rise to the level of a parent as long as you are married.

I have travelled with my kids (different last name) and have brought their friends. All you need for even non related kids is a notarized letter from the parent saying they have permission to go. I also included in the letter that the parents gave me permission to sign any waivers for activities, flowrider etc. no one ever looked at any of it until I tried to bring my kids friends back into the country. If they don't have a parent letter, the immigration agent asks the child if they are being brought into the US voluntarily.

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now I'm concerned. My step daughter does not have any relationship with her father. Her mother has sole custody of her, will I have problems getting her on ship without him signing permission?

She surely has legal paperwork showing sole custody. That's what she would take to get a passport for her daughter. So bring that and a notarized note saying you are her stepdad (and maybe a copy of your marriage cert) and have permission to take her.

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. I really wish there was somthing more specific in black and white on RCCL's website. It says permission is needed from "parent(s)" if they aren't traveling. it all makes me very nervous about getting to the terminal and getting denied boarding.

ParentS is covered with the sole custody paperwork.

I am a divorce lawyer and a step dad has a legal relationship with his step child so just a passport is necessary.

I'm a step kid (though not a kid) three times over and my step parents had no legal rights over me. If they had wanted to take me out of the country it would have taken more than a passport. There are no legal documents saying stepdad/daughter. If I need my husbands written permission to take out son into Canada a stepdad would need the same if not more.

Now, in the case of the 16 year old, I'm pretty sure the real life situation will be that they'll just ask the teen who the adult is if they have a question. But having the paperwork is nice insurance.

I am a divorce lawyer and a step dad has a legal relationship with his step child so just a passport is necessary. You might get a bitchy clerk so you can have your wife give you a motorized letter if you are worried.

Think about it, you can have you stepdaughter on you health insurance plan, if you become disabled, she receives your dependent child social security disability, she receives dependent child unemployment benefits if you become unemployed. Once you married her mom, you legally rise to the level of a parent as long as you are married.

I have travelled with my kids (different last name) and have brought their friends. All you need for even non related kids is a notarized letter from the parent saying they have permission to go. I also included in the letter that the parents gave me permission to sign any waivers for activities, flowrider etc. no one ever looked at any of it until I tried to bring my kids friends back into the country. If they don't have a parent letter, the immigration agent asks the child if they are being brought into the US voluntarily.

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would be very very weary of this advice when it comes to dealing with Officious $9 an hr check in personnel and CBP Officers. A Step Dad may "in your mind" have legal rights but minus the court order connecting you to their custody you have no rights. Sorry!

Better safe than sorry, bring more documentation than necessary and you won't have an issue.

• 1 month later...

Below is off the RCL website. There seems to be some erroneous information listed above. If the mother is remarried and now has a different last name from her child see below.

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child’s valid passport and visa (if required) and the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation. Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child’s valid passport and visa or the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child’s parents. The notarized letter from the child’s parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Wow! Thanks for this information. My situation is different as my children's Dad passed away. I would have never thought about there being a problem with the kids traveling with just myself. I'll bring a copy of the death certificate just in case.