HAL prices

Sandi07054

Some lines start high and lower prices closer to the date or have sales. Other lines start with a realistic price and stay stable. Holland America is a great line in Alaska. NCL reminds me of being in a cartoon on the ship. Maybe it has changed but I don't want cartoon characters on the ship with me. With NCL I would expect to pay extra for food on the ship. We tend to eat speciality restaurants every night as their dining room food is very low quality. On a flip side -- their shows are pretty good.

In early February I booked Eurodam for 2 June 2018 for a good price. Last week I found a price reduction and saved over $500. Was pleased to see that so soon after booking. I had also priced Princess for the same timeframe and they were more expensive than HAL. I've enjoyed my HAL cruises in Alaska and am excited to have another one lined up.

I researched both Princess and HAL last year for a May 2017 Alaska cruise. (Those were the only cruise lines I looked at because they offer me the kind of service I want and their itineraries in Alaska are what I was looking for.)

HAL's fares were all well under (by at least a couple hundred of dollars per person) that charged by Princess.

i have been doing some Alaska cruise prices and it appears HAL has the lowest prices. Is this a sale? I always thought HAL would be higher.Looking at June of 2018 RT from Seattle including Glacier Bay

Thanks

Off & on, I've looked at pricing on the various cruise lines.

I regularly see that people on non-HAL cruises are paying more for a 1 week cruise than I am paying for a 2 week one and, yes, I am sailing in July not the beginning of May or the end of September.

I check when giving alternate information on the "you need a balcony" claims - so that if they want to people can see the price difference.

(All things considered I also felt that the similar inside cabins were a better value on HAL - while trying to compare apples to apples - both going to Glacier Bay, etc. I would only pay a substantially lower fare for a 1 week AK cruise that did not include Glacier Bay - especially knowing the value of my 2 week cruise.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo

I found Holland America to be comparable in price to Princess. I found NCL to be mysteriously higher in price.

In addition, based on all of the CC trip reports that I have read and my review of the NCL website, the pricing for meals on NCL needs to be added to those cruise fares when comparing.

Here is my experience. I am doing three cruises to Alaska in July; all include Glacier Bay and inside cabins.

Princess (northbound) $2,358, Princess (southbound) $2,458 and HAL $2,930. On my Princess cruise I did get a small price adjustment; on my HAL cruise no adjustment since November when I booked. I continue to monitor prices to see if something will break with HAL but so far the price has only gone up.

Here is my experience. I am doing three cruises to Alaska in July; all include Glacier Bay and inside cabins.

Princess (northbound) $2,358, Princess (southbound) $2,458 and HAL $2,930. On my Princess cruise I did get a small price adjustment; on my HAL cruise no adjustment since November when I booked. I continue to monitor prices to see if something will break with HAL but so far the price has only gone up.

How many nights is that for? Is that per person???

Including taxes?

We just paid less than that for 2 people including drinks package with all taxes for southbound ncl, 7 nights. Most lines were well under what you are quoting for this year

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

My 2 week cruise to AK on HAL is down to $1,699 inside (per person plus taxes, etc.). I booked at @$2,000 (per person, etc.), I will enjoy my lattes, bottled water, soda, & adult beverages without watching the bar bill - with the Explore 4 promotion

We noticed that for this year prices from Seattle on 7nt R/T dropped for balconies when they swapped Oosterdam for the smaller Amsterdam. More balconies to sell on the larger ship. It was less for us to rebook from our inside to a balcony under the original Explore 4 than to switch to the Verandah & Views promo with Verandah for the price of Oceanview. Looks like Oosterdam is a one year deal with something else doing Seattle next year but a lot of the pricing comes down to cabin availability - supply & demand.

How many nights is that for? Is that per person???

Including taxes?

We just paid less than that for 2 people including drinks package with all taxes for southbound ncl, 7 nights. Most lines were well under what you are quoting for this year

Each cruise is for 7 nights --- two people total including taxes. Princess perks: Princess $100 military OBC,

$300 additional OBC, stateroom upgrade and prepaid gratuities. HAL perks: $50 beverage card and prepaid gratuities.

Are you cruising in July of 2017?

My 2 week cruise to AK on HAL is down to $1,699 inside (per person plus taxes, etc.). I booked at @$2,000 (per person, etc.), I will enjoy my lattes, bottled water, soda, & adult beverages without watching the bar bill - with the Explore 4 promotion

Great deal. We looked at the HAL itinerary -- it didn't suit our needs this year. Have a great cruise, I am sure it will be wonderful.

Most people do book ahead. I frequently book last minute and always am open to picking up a few Alaska cruises. I have to say, I have never paid anywhere near the above rates.

I'm going to be mainland Alaska for 4 weeks June/July with my nephew again. I expect to be able to pick up a cruise at some point in addition. Ideally a southbound at the end, but, going to see what is available.

Each cruise is for 7 nights --- two people total including taxes. Princess perks: Princess $100 military OBC,

$300 additional OBC, stateroom upgrade and prepaid gratuities. HAL perks: $50 beverage card and prepaid gratuities.

Are you cruising in July of 2017?

Thanks for explaining that sounds more like our rate. For 2 people with taxes and drinks gratuities (drinks package included) we are paying about $2,100 for one way Seward to Vancouver in June this year with 75obc. We booked in late Feb which is not last minute but seemed like a reasonable deal for Alaska. Since we booked the price is now higher and the drinks package has been removed.

I hate all of the games with the pricing - different deals etc.

I'd love to be able to try to get a last minute deal...

But I need the 18 months to pay for my every 2 to 3 year vacation. I'm not blessed with enough vacation time (or free flights to the northwest) to be able to go more frequently.

So I get what I can afford based on what is available at the time when I am ready to book & watch for price drops & or perks that I will use.

I guess because I don't sail annually or more frequently than that, I don't feel that the rate for my 2 week cruise is very high... (Which is far better than feeling like you are being gouged.)

& As I said previously, I'm going to use & enjoy my perks & it will be nice to allow my son to have as many N/A daiquiris or nada coladas as he wants without worrying about the effect at the end of the cruise.

I hate all of the games with the pricing - different deals etc.

I'd love to be able to try to get a last minute deal...

But I need the 18 months to pay for my every 2 to 3 year vacation. I'm not blessed with enough vacation time (or free flights to the northwest) to be able to go more frequently.

So I get what I can afford based on what is available at the time when I am ready to book & watch for price drops & or perks that I will use.

I guess because I don't sail annually or more frequently than that, I don't feel that the rate for my 2 week cruise is very high... (Which is far better than feeling like you are being gouged.)

& As I said previously, I'm going to use & enjoy my perks & it will be nice to allow my son to have as many N/A daiquiris or nada coladas as he wants without worrying about the effect at the end of the cruise.

I don't understand this post?

Earlier you suggested you had a great deal compared to everyone else now you seem to be bemoaning your situation and claiming the price to you is irrelevant (which if so is great)?

The op is trying to garner information about whether Hal is cheaper than the other lines at the moment, I quoted my prices on ncl (I am not tied to one line, have been on ncl, Hal and X) to try and help compare (to me they look comparable as does your rate).

I don't understand this post?

Earlier you suggested you had a great deal compared to everyone else now you seem to be bemoaning your situation and claiming the price to you is irrelevant (which if so is great)?

The op is trying to garner information about whether Hal is cheaper than the other lines at the moment, I quoted my prices on ncl (I am not tied to one line, have been on ncl, Hal and X) to try and help compare (to me they look comparable as does your rate).

Just furthering the conversation since it came to my mind that many of us have to choose what is best for us in the moment.