EDGE TransAtlantic? When?

Ox Fan Cruiser

Frankly, I'm shocked to hear that other ships have come across with no paying passengers. It seems like such a wasted opportunity.

I think that you have to think about it from a company view point. This is a new ship, with new features and a staff that is not accustom to the new ship. So instead of rushing to get things done and have a staff rush to get used to the lay of the new land and potentially have negative reviews and negative feed back from a new multi million investment from its first passengers. They are likely taking the time to really get used to the new ship, get all the kinks out, make sure its 100% ready for its inaugural/ holiday season. The hype on this ship is large and expectations are high I am sure they want a successful first impression. Also, there seems to be a lot of new technology on this ship, with tablets that control every aspect of your room. I am sure there will be hiccups and tech revamps and modifications which are always timely. With other new builds in a class of ship that already exists, its an easier transition where the foot print and most details are the same.

I think that you have to think about it from a company view point. This is a new ship, with new features and a staff that is not accustom to the new ship. So instead of rushing to get things done and have a staff rush to get used to the lay of the new land and potentially have negative reviews and negative feed back from a new multi million investment from its first passengers. They are likely taking the time to really get used to the new ship, get all the kinks out, make sure its 100% ready for its inaugural/ holiday season. The hype on this ship is large and expectations are high I am sure they want a successful first impression. Also, there seems to be a lot of new technology on this ship, with tablets that control every aspect of your room. I am sure there will be hiccups and tech revamps and modifications which are always timely. With other new builds in a class of ship that already exists, its an easier transition where the foot print and most details are the same.
No matter when the first cruise will be, there will be a first cruise. All the work will be needed to be finished. All the crew will need to be trained and know where every thing is. But I thought the first ECD was October. That being said, When December was announce and being in FLL already, I expected (and somewhat still expect) that a small Euro / Med introduction cruise schedule will be added including a TA.... But as many posted, it is not uncommon to have its first cruise to happen after the TA.

Since there are few rooms left, use costco travel -> cruises to find and easily view all available rooms. Here is the link but you might want to re-search when you go, to find the most up to date rooms available before you book on celebrity's website. I use this as celebrity's site only shows 5-6 available rooms at a time. Here you can see all available rooms on all levels and categories at one time.

https://www.costcotravel.com/h=1507

Good tip, was wondering why each category had the same amount of cabins available. :o My first time trying to book a Celebrity cruise online. I think I might just wait for that rumored April 2019 TA.

Denise

I was told by a rep I talk to quite a lot in the Captain's Club dept. today that the staff are being told that Edge will be staying F/T time in the Carib and will not be doing a T/A or going to Europe. She said that cruises longer than the current offerings of 7 days in the Carib. will be offered but those will still be in the Carib. Of course considering how often we receive different answers on the same question I guess we will just have to wait and see? :rolleyes: LuAnn

I was told by a rep I talk to quite a lot in the Captain's Club dept. today that the staff are being told that Edge will be staying F/T time in the Carib and will not be doing a T/A or going to Europe. She said that cruises longer than the current offerings of 7 days in the Carib. will be offered but those will still be in the Carib. Of course considering how often we receive different answers on the same question I guess we will just have to wait and see? :rolleyes: LuAnn

I believe I read the same thing somewhere, that Edge would be staying in the Caribbean for her first year.

• 3 months later...

I hope they make a good transatlantic. With stops in the Caribbean and stops in Europe. That would be greatMy Dream: Barcelona Stop at Canary Islands, Sea Day, St.Maarten, Nassau or Bermuda and Nassau, Port Everglades

In the other directionPort Everglades, St. Thomas, St Maarten. Sea Days, Gibraltar, Barcelona.

The Problem is, there are only Europe Stops and Sea Days on other Celebrity Ships

Edit: Okay the Celebrity Silhouette makes Stops in Boston, New York and Bermudas and Bermudas, Ponte Delgade and Lissbon that´s cool but it´s not the Edge.... :-(

Do we know how long the F/T Carib schedule will last? Doesn't the Beyond come out Spring of 2020? Could we have a East bound TA on Edge the same time we have a West bound TA on Beyond? Maybe they meet up in Ponta Delgrada or similar Island?

The 16th is the inaugural cruise. Unlike her sister ship Beyond in 2020, Edge is deadheading to FLL to be filled out with final bells and whistles and a corporate sendoff from the port of Fort Lauderdale.

Her first transatlantic is going to be eastbound in Spring 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where did you get the idea that the first ta was eastbound in the spring of 2019?

I hope they make a good transatlantic. With stops in the Caribbean and stops in Europe. That would be greatMy Dream: Barcelona Stop at Canary Islands, Sea Day, St.Maarten, Nassau or Bermuda and Nassau, Port Everglades

In the other directionPort Everglades, St. Thomas, St Maarten. Sea Days, Gibraltar, Barcelona.

The Problem is, there are only Europe Stops and Sea Days on other Celebrity Ships

Edit: Okay the Celebrity Silhouette makes Stops in Boston, New York and Bermudas and Bermudas, Ponte Delgade and Lissbon that´s cool but it´s not the Edge.... :-(

That's not a problem, there are plenty of Caribbean cruises and if I'm flying to or from Europe I want to see Europe, not the Caribbean.

where did you get the idea that the first ta was eastbound in the spring of 2019?

Exactly Fish Lover, only spend a few months here then go back???I expect she will be X's year round Florida ship until Beyond comes in. A East bound TA in Spring 2020 is my bet.

Exactly Fish Lover, only spend a few months here then go back???I expect she will be X's year round Florida ship until Beyond comes in. A East bound TA in Spring 2020 is my bet.

Right. I think they haven't announced an extended schedule yet because they wanted the earlier ones to be fully booked. It contributes to the marketing hype/buzz.

I think the ship is designed for colder itineraries. Think how great those balcony spaces would be, closed, in Alaska or Scandinavia.

I agree. Though I was once told by a ships officer that the Med and Caribbean are the two most lucrative markets and so a cruise lines flagships will likely be concentrated in these two areas. So it's unlikely to see Edge there anytime soon. The other three Edge ships in the pipeline may well offer Baltic and Alaskan cruises though and then the balconies will be much appreciated I would have thought.

That's not a problem, there are plenty of Caribbean cruises and if I'm flying to or from Europe I want to see Europe, not the Caribbean.

Well Mabel, it's fair to say Europe is a lot more interesting, cultured, sophisticated and appealing! So I don't blame you. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the expended schedule has it in Europe until late September. One would assume a West bound TA is to follow. I'd be interested in Beyond's West bound TA in Spring of 2020. Maybe they have that in the works. TA to Florida........ Panama Canal to Seattle then a Summer in Alaska.