Pinnacle Grill menu

HermmyGranger

This was the menu we had last week on Oosterdam.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/PG-Dinner.pdf

We dined there three times. We had the crab cakes, steak tartare, crab legs, the 12 oz lobster, lamb chops, and the egg plant. We also had the baked alaska and the rasberry cheese cakes. It was all very good.

You can also order lobster and steaks from the pinnacle delivered to your room for about $10 PP. We did that once as well and it was great.

This may surprise folks, but we found the lobster tails larger and tastier in the MDR than the add-on tails in the PG. This was last month on the Zuiderdam. Still good, but surprisingly smaller. It was almost like the MDR was giving us the larger PG main course lobster tails for surf and turf instead of the smaller 5 Oz ones.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

This may surprise folks, but we found the lobster tails larger and tastier in the MDR than the add-on tails in the PG. This was last month on the Zuiderdam. Still good, but surprisingly smaller. It was almost like the MDR was giving us the larger PG main course lobster tails for surf and turf instead of the smaller 5 Oz ones.

Dennis

I'm very surprised about the size. The MDR tails were 5 or 6 ounces (which equates to a 1.25 to 1.5 lb lobster. The ones we saw in the Pinnacle looked to be around 12 oz which would be from a 2+ lb lobster. (We lived in Maine long enough to do lobster math in our heads.

We didn't order lobster in the Pinnacle, but the table next to us did. I snapped a photo and it was a much bigger tail than the ones we had in the dining room.

I can't comment on the flavor differences, but my wife had surf and turf - add surf in the MDR to get her lobster fix.

... here is the Pinnacle Grill "sample" Dinner Menu that was posted on HAL's web site. And, even though you didn't ask for one, here is the PG "sample" Lunch Menu that was also posted on the HAL web site. I believe both are "current" but have been unable to get on the HAL web site all day today, so I have not confirmed.

Smooth sailing ...

Pinnacle Grill Menu NEW 12-2015(1).pdf

Pinnacle-Grill Lunch Menu 2016.pdf

I'm very surprised about the size. The MDR tails were 5 or 6 ounces (which equates to a 1.25 to 1.5 lb lobster. The ones we saw in the Pinnacle looked to be around 12 oz which would be from a 2+ lb lobster. (We lived in Maine long enough to do lobster math in our heads.

We didn't order lobster in the Pinnacle, but the table next to us did. I snapped a photo and it was a much bigger tail than the ones we had in the dining room.

I can't comment on the flavor differences, but my wife had surf and turf - add surf in the MDR to get her lobster fix.

There are two different sizes of lobster tail. You can add a 5 oz tail to an order for $10 extra. There is also a 12 oz lobster entree for an additional $20. You can also get these lobsters from the Pinnacle Grill Room service menus.

BTW, a couple of weeks ago, someone asked if PG room service was available on nights where the PG did Le Cirque, etc. It certainly is.

FWIW, lobster was also available in the Lido on Surf and Turf night.

There are two different sizes of lobster tail. You can add a 5 oz tail to an order for $10 extra. There is also a 12 oz lobster entree for an additional $20. You can also get these lobsters from the Pinnacle Grill Room service menus.

Thanks. I must have seen the large one. Are they both surcharge items?

On the Rotterdam PG menu this past January, supplement for caviar was $70 :o

:o:loudcry:

That is crazy! $45 was quite the deal but at $70 it is not really worth it considering you are already paying an up-charge to eat in PG. To me, that was the best part of our last PG dinner. I was looking forward to it in June but not at this new price. PG with the caviar course is over $100pp if this is indeed now the case.

That is crazy! $45 was quite the deal but at $70 it is not really worth it considering you are already paying an up-charge to eat in PG. To me, that was the best part of our last PG dinner. I was looking forward to it in June but not at this new price. PG with the caviar course is over $100pp if this is indeed now the case.

Right? I was shocked! It's been a nice treat at $45...but $70? Asked about it and there was really nothing they could say...

Heading out this weekend on the Zuiderdam and will be interested to see what they're charging.

$70 for an ounce of caviar is less than you can buy it for. It's usually around $95 - $110 for Osetra. It's not the amazing deal that it used to be, but it's still a decent value. On our last cruise in December, we arranged for caviar service in the Pinnacle Bar as a standalone thing.

In case you're wondering what you get for your money, here are some pictures of the caviar service from the Eurodam in December.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51797899&postcount=152

DW and I have an ounce each. The Champagne is not included in the cost of the caviar. If you don't want to spend the money on caviar, chilled vodka works well.

$70 for an ounce of caviar is less than you can buy it for. It's usually around $95 - $110 for Osetra. It's not the amazing deal that it used to be, but it's still a decent value. On our last cruise in December, we arranged for caviar service in the Pinnacle Bar as a standalone thing.

In case you're wondering what you get for your money, here are some pictures of the caviar service from the Eurodam in December.

DW and I have an ounce each. The Champagne is not included in the cost of the caviar. If you don't want to spend the money on caviar, chilled vodka works well.

Oh, I agree it's not a bad value even at $70. It's a fantastic presentation, and I've been enjoying it from the first time it showed up on the Pinnacle menu. But really just surprised that the surcharge was so much higher on Rotterdam this past January than on Oosterdam this month! Different surcharge based on ship?

I'm sure I'll still partake next week on Zuiderdam regardless, but will interested to see what the surcharge is.

Right? I was shocked! It's been a nice treat at $45...but $70? Asked about it and there was really nothing they could say...

Heading out this weekend on the Zuiderdam and will be interested to see what they're charging.

Oh please do post back with info as Zuiderdam is the ship I'm on in June.

Nice to know it can be ordered at the bar as a standalone snack. I still think $70 is a big jump from $45. Prices goes up over time for sure but a 55% increase overnight is a bit much. Sure it is still cheaper than on land but that is the norm for surcharge dining on a ship where standard meals have already been paid for.

I do agree that they do a lovely presentation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh please do post back with info as Zuiderdam is the ship I'm on in June.

Nice to know it can be ordered at the bar as a standalone snack. I still think $70 is a big jump from $45. Prices goes up over time for sure but a 55% increase overnight is a bit much. Sure it is still cheaper than on land but that is the norm for surcharge dining on a ship where standard meals have already been paid for.

I do agree that they do a lovely presentation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The caviar supplement is $130 on Crystal Cruises. It was $150+ when we looked at Celebrity last year.

At Victoria & Albert's in Orlando, it's $210 for essentially the same accompaniments. Their china is nicer and their service is better. They are a AAA 5 Diamond Restaurant after all.

I hate to see the cost go up, but it was an amazing deal 9 years ago when the retail price of the caviar was $75/oz and the supplement was $45. I blame myself for talking about what a great deal it was, and in my humble opinion, still is.

The caviar supplement is $130 on Crystal Cruises. It was $150+ when we looked at Celebrity last year.

At Victoria & Albert's in Orlando, it's $210 for essentially the same accompaniments. Their china is nicer and their service is better. They are a AAA 5 Diamond Restaurant after all.

I hate to see the cost go up, but it was an amazing deal 9 years ago when the retail price of the caviar was $75/oz and the supplement was $45. I blame myself for talking about what a great deal it was, and in my humble opinion, still is.

Spot on, POA1. Some folks just can't resist looking a Gift Horse in the mouth.

Smooth sailing ...

Spot on, POA1. Some folks just can't resist looking a Gift Horse in the mouth.

Smooth sailing ...

Still, the caviar price is starting to bump into the upper limit of what we're willing to pay. I suppose we could share a portion, but that would lead to hurt feelings and possibly bruises.

One of the things I see a lot of people doing is fixating on comparisons of prices between 2011-2013 and today. Since what we're discussing is vacations and vacations are luxuries, increases in the cost of vacations are depressed in the years after the start of a recession, just like with all luxuries. Reflexively, increase in the cost of luxuries in the years after the start of a recovery exceed the broader rate of inflation, as more discretionary income re-enters the market and demand catches up a bit with the supply.

If you want to compare prices, you really need to be sure you compare prices to a point in time the past that is at the same general place in the economic cycle. So valid comparisons to today would be mid-2007, 1999-2000, and mid-1990. (They are rather small windows because we have had a number of recessions close together.)

I guess I just don't understand why there's such a big difference in the supplement price between the Oosterdam this month ($45) and what the Rotterdam charged in January ($70).

I will be interested to see what it is on Zuiderdam next week, and I'll report back.

I do remember when we sailed shortly after the Pinnacle began offering it on the menu. We received the 50% mariner discount on it! Now THAT was a bargain! ;)