Nassau v. Freeport-and staying on the ship

mmtska

We're sailing on the Liberty on Sunday (YAHOO!) and headed to both Nassau and Freeport. I've been to Nassau before and don't really want to do it again, but I'm hearing Freeport isn't such a great port either. (This is the itinerary that worked for us so....)

I planned to skip Nassau and stay on the ship, but I'm wondering if we should go there and skip Freeport. I don't want to stay on the ship both days.

So I guess the question is-what is the lesser of 2 evils? We're not planning on spending more than a few hours anyway, not wanting to pay for the excursions when all I really want to do is hang with dolphins and $$$$ and I can do that at Discovery Cove. Thanks!

Im kinda over the Bahamas cruises. If i ever go on another, id most likely stay on board or maybe take a taxi to atlantis and gamble a little bit. The Bahamas to me are so overrated and overpriced for everything. Even the port taxes are ridiculous. I also find the locals are pushy and rude. Ive never been off the ship in Freeport because there's nothing there. Idk why cruise lines even go there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

I've always enjoyed walking in Nassau, there are several historic things to look at and it's all within walking distance. I don't like Freeport at all and usually just stay on the ship.

I could care less about walking around almost any port. Nassau has good excursions available, plenty of options. I'm not sure I get the negativity on this forum when it comes to Nassau - maybe people who don't do excursions? Carnival has 46 excursions in Nassau (31 in Freeport)... if you aren't getting out and doing something fun, it's on you.

Get off in Nassau; stay onboard in Freeport.

When you enter the port terminal in Nassau, there is an area manned by staff of the Nassau Tourism Office. They have walking tour maps and will point out sights worth seeing. On our recent cruise, we got off for a couple of hours and walked to the library which used to be a jail. (Go inside and see the books in the cells. If the upper floor is open, go up for excellent views of the city.) We then walked to the Queen's Staircase and over to Fort Fincastle. Even if you have been to Nassau before, you are likely to find something that you haven't seen previously. Just ask the Tourism Office staff for suggestions.

I would (and we have) get off on both. Like others have said, Nassau has some interesting sites within walking distance, including Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle; Junkanoo Beach is also an easy walk from the port. In Freeport, we have taken a taxi to the Lucaya area and gone to the beach, you can get a day pass from several resorts in the area. We also took a tour that took us to Lucayan National Park, where we explored the underground caves, the mangroves and spent time on Gold Rock Beach, which is beyond gorgeous, undeveloped and unspoiled.

Thanks! I'm more of a person to explore on my own-guided tours and excursions don't really appeal to me. Maybe touring Nassau when it isn't as hot as last time (dead of summer so fingers crossed) will be better anyway. I do want to take a day to explore the ship that isn't a sea day lol.

I appreciate it!

I agree with what others have said...off in Nassau, on in Freeport. In Nassau we walked to the Watlings Distillery and took the free tour, culminating in some nice drinks. Then we walked over to the Grey Cliff hotel and toured their chocolate factory and the cigar factory. The cigar rollers were Cuban and I had a nice chat with them (in spanish). If you don't mind spending a few bucks, we walked to the British Colonial Hilton and paid $65pp to use their beach. The beach is nice with covered chairs as well as palm frond palapas. $45 of the $65 you pay is a food voucher and waiters come out to your chairs and take orders for drinks and food. There's a pool, and changing rooms and showers. It was fun and not too far from the ship. Might be worth a try.

On Carnival Liberty in January and did get off at Freeport for 2-3 hours. It has been several years since my last visit to this port when I was on Carnival Pride. I was very pleasantly surprised at the development that has taken place where the ship docks. Many shops, a gazebo with live music, lots of food vendors, and two nice bars were available. The citizens with whom I had any contact were welcoming and friendly.

I did not get off at Nassau. I was tempted, but we were docked at the last pier and I did not feel like walking the distance to get into the "downtown" area. I did enjoy my day aboard Liberty, though.

Definitely pick Nassau over Freeport. Visited Freeport in 2015 so im not sure about any upgrades but the area at the port was a disappointment. Just had a few shops at the time and a bar or two with nothing else within a short walk.

Definitely pick Nassau over Freeport. Visited Freeport in 2015 so im not sure about any upgrades but the area at the port was a disappointment. Just had a few shops at the time and a bar or two with nothing else within a short walk.

I don't know what you experienced, but I stand behind my comments about the immediate area around where Carnival Liberty docked at Freeport in January, 2017.

Tourism money and effort has been spent, in my opinion, to improve the cruise guest experience at this port.