Being "Turned Away" without earlier MTD Reservations?

We have always used MTD and always told you could only book it if you prepaid your tips and that was the case on 23 October 2016 when i booked my June cruise

The rules not requiring pre paid tips for MTD changed about two years ago in NA. In some other markets it may have lingered a bit longer and the info may have taken even longer to eventually make it to TAs and RCI. In some cases TAs or even RCI CSRs, by habit, keep spewing the wrong info about pre paid tips.

The rules not requiring pre paid tips for MTD changed about two years ago in NA. In some other markets it may have lingered a bit longer and the info may have taken even longer to eventually make it to TAs and RCI. In some cases TAs or even RCI CSRs, by habit, keep spewing the wrong info about pre paid tips.

You are right because RC told my TA who are one of the biggest in UK that you had to pay the tips upfront.

Its not a problem unless they ever refused me at the MTD restaurant.

Its not a problem unless they ever refused me at the MTD restaurant.

You will not be refused, but for most folks, a lengthy wait will usually lead to them eating elsewhere.

Biker, who was very pleasantly surprised about how good the WJ can be for dinner.

You will not be refused, but for most folks, a lengthy wait will usually lead to them eating elsewhere.

Biker, who was very pleasantly surprised about how good the WJ can be for dinner.

I always prebook 8.30pm on the cruise planner for every night for when the Diamond lounge drinks stop plus i have filled up with the snacks there first lol.

MTD has changed since it was introduced, this is by RC or Cruisers who want to establish their own STANDARD/FIXED DINING TIME. I usually go along with the crowd, and say I will be there at about 7:30, some times I show up a little later or earlier. I do not care if I have the same TABLE or Wait staff but I usually get the same staff but not the table. From our experience, there are always have been open tables, most of the time.

As noted above we have never been on the Anthem or newer ship other than the Oasis, so MDR size might be a true issue.

this fascinates me.. is it this way on land too. do people eat lunch at different times than me? i cannot imagine eating at a typical 1130 to 1230 slot then waiting until 730. my ribs would begin showing :)

plus if you stuff your face and are one to go to bed early by 10, thats just too much food.

We are also a family of early eaters! My husband eats breakfast at 5 am and when he arrives home at 4:00 in the afternoon he's starving and wants dinner. On cruises, I book our MTD reservations based on whether it is a sea day or port day, but the latest we ever eat is around 6:45 or 7:00.

Save

Save

If I have MTD and I'm a solo passenger, what are the odds of me getting a table for 1 or 2 if I show up at the very beginning of the dinner service? No reservation.

We sailed on the Jewel 2 April and 9 April (Caribbean Cruises). We had 5:30 PM reservations every evening for MTD. There was always a line for both reservations and no reservations before they even opened the doors to the MDR. We saw some in the no reservation line handed pagers. Some were a party of two and others more in their party. While we ate both lines never died down. Your sailing may be different. Why not make reservations for your desired time?

If I have MTD and I'm a solo passenger, what are the odds of me getting a table for 1 or 2 if I show up at the very beginning of the dinner service? No reservation.

The odds of getting a two top are quite good (unless you ask for something else), the odds of getting seated right away a bit less so.

Anyone have any recent experience of MTD on Brilliance?

We were hoping to make reservations for around 7:30, but from what's been reported here, may have to rethink that:confused:.

Thanks,

Tim

Should be no problem if that's what you want.

Should be no problem if that's what you want.

Hi Clarea, Do you think they should reintroduce the only way to do MTD is by prepaying tips and put a cap on the number so people who book early and prepay tips are guaranteed quick access to the restaurant.

At the moment people can stop their autogratuities and still get all the benefits of MTD to the detriment of the above and the crew.

Kind Regards

Graham

Hi Clarea, Do you think they should reintroduce the only way to do MTD is by prepaying tips and put a cap on the number so people who book early and prepay tips are guaranteed quick access to the restaurant.

At the moment people can stop their autogratuities and still get all the benefits of MTD to the detriment of the above and the crew.

Kind Regards

Graham

Here in the UK when booking we had to pre pay our Gratuities in order to get My Time Dining

Kind Regards

Graham

I don't think it matters if gratuities are prepaid or not. To my knowledge, there are already limits to the number of guests that can be assigned to MTD. I've seen people post here how MTD is full and they were assigned to one of the traditional times.

I don't think it matters if gratuities are prepaid or not. To my knowledge, there are already limits to the number of guests that can be assigned to MTD. I've seen people post here how MTD is full and they were assigned to one of the traditional times.

Thanks.

We are told in the UK that we must prepay if we want MTD which is what we always do, otherwise we are assigned to a sitting in the MDR.

Hopefully they do put a sensible limit on how many people can book MTD so people who are on MTD are not turned away.

We are from the UK and told we must prepay tips to get MTD but it seems we are not being advised correctly.

Correct, you no longer need to prepay tips for MTD. You should be able to contact whoever booked your cruise and remove prepaid tips if you like.

Correct, you no longer need to prepay tips for MTD. You should be able to contact whoever booked your cruise and remove prepaid tips if you like.

Thanks.

We are restricted to 7 night cruises because of work and family issues so we dont mind prepaying tips as it is sorted and the crew deserve it and i have always been able to get MTD although we seem to be doing more specialty restaurants now.

Thanks.

We are restricted to 7 night cruises because of work and family issues so we dont mind prepaying tips as it is sorted and the crew deserve it and i have always been able to get MTD although we seem to be doing more specialty restaurants now.

There was one cruise last year when they couldn't confirm MTD and we were put on a wait list and provisionally put on first sitting.I prepaid tips anyway with a message saying how much we wanted MTD.

Five days later when i checked my C&A cruise page it showed we had MTD.

Anyone have any recent experience of MTD on Brilliance?

We were hoping to make reservations for around 7:30, but from what's been reported here, may have to rethink that:confused:.

The ship doesn't matter much - 7:30 should be fine, just book that when available in the planner.

It was with RCI that I booked the cruise , over the phone , so are they just conning guests by telling us if we want MTD we MUST pre pay the grats?

It was with RCI that I booked the cruise , over the phone , so are they just conning guests by telling us if we want MTD we MUST pre pay the grats?

Either they have different rules for UK bookings, or the people on the phone don't know the rules. I suspect the latter, and would try to call back and push the issue.