Baltic cruise food

300dtc

Hi, we are sailing in August on the NCL Getaway to the Baltics and I was wondering if there were regional foods served in the main dining rooms? It would be great if some choices were given to try some new dishes! Asked this on the port of call board too...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, we are sailing in August on the NCL Getaway to the Baltics and I was wondering if there were regional foods served in the main dining rooms? It would be great if some choices were given to try some new dishes! Asked this on the port of call board too...

Menus are standard across the fleet. Sample "real" local foods while you are ashore.

Menus are standard across the fleet. Sample "real" local foods while you are ashore.

That's not our experience..while on the Epic in the med, the chef had a local specialty on the menu each night..also, in Alaska on a cruise, there were options of local fresh caught salmon..etc..

The MDR menu used to have a "chef's regional specialty" option every night, that was loosely linked with the general part of the world where the cruise was taking place. But it had nothing do with the "chef", and it was not prepared with fresh, local ingredients, but with the same frozen food that the rest of the menu was made with. Anyway, it doesn't exist anymore.

NCL does not serve freshly caught salmon on Alaskan cruises. I think you must have taken a different cruise line to Alaska.

As BirdTravels said, the MDR menus are the same fleetwide. You have more chances of getting some locally-inspired food at the buffet. Last summer on the Star (Baltic itinerary), they did German, Seafood/Fisherman, Italian, Pub Night, Russian, Scandinavian, and Asian themes in the buffet. Some of these are also fleetwide, but I doubt they do a Russian Night or Scandinavian Night in the Caribbean…

Edited by hawkeyetlse

The MDR menu used to have a "chef's regional specialty" option every night, that was loosely linked with the general part of the world where the cruise was taking place. But it had nothing do with the "chef", and it was not prepared with fresh, local ingredients, but with the same frozen food that the rest of the menu was made with. Anyway, it doesn't exist anymore.

NCL does not serve freshly caught salmon on Alaskan cruises. I think you must have taken a different cruise line to Alaska.

As BirdTravels said, the MDR menus are the same fleetwide. You have more chances of getting some locally-inspired food at the buffet. Last summer on the Star (Baltic itinerary), they did German, Seafood/Fisherman, Italian, Pub Night, Russian, Scandinavian, and Asian themes in the buffet. Some of these are also fleetwide, but I doubt they do a Russian Night or Scandinavian Night in the Caribbean

On the Gem they had "American Night" in the buffet. Also a "Western Night". I'd have to check on the others.

i did this on the Star last May.

we saw a few items here and htere at the buffet. i dont remember anything else being region specific.

that said, we got some AWESOME food in port, particularly thru our independent excurions.

i highly recommend TJ Travel for St. Petersburg - but they will do tours for you in any of the Baltic ports.

i did this on the Star last May.

we saw a few items here and htere at the buffet. i dont remember anything else being region specific.

that said, we got some AWESOME food in port, particularly thru our independent excurions.

i highly recommend TJ Travel for St. Petersburg - but they will do tours for you in any of the Baltic ports.

Good to know! We are booked with TJ travel!

Good to know! We are booked with TJ travel!

you will see so much more than the NCL tours.

we did the 2 day in St. Pete that included the Faberge Museum. WOW! Our guide was Nina, she was so nice.

we also did our tour in Tallin thru them.

we did a tour with Friends of Dave for the stop in Berlin, which toured Mecklenberg. It was nice avoiding the throngs who went to Berlin (and spent HOURS on a train each way).