Who would like to see late evening hours in Windjammer?

And there is the answer......... if the windjammer is open later, then no-one will pay for room service. So if they shut everything around 9:30 ish, the only option IS room service, so they get their $7.95 or whatever it is.
I don't think that the $7.95 is driving this. Just doing the math, I think there is more money to be lost keeping the buffet open than there is money to be gained from the room service charge.

Below some point, when patronage is so light, keeping an eatery open represents a lot of waste. I doubt any casual eatery on land ever expands with a mind toward having no lines; they aim to have very short lines, because that keeps their staff optimally utilized satisfying customers. No lines means you are paying people to stand around. It is a necessary evil in a situation where your customers (the passengers) have an expectation that something will be available for them to eat, but it makes sense to manage the evil, keeping it as small as possible without despoiling satisfaction.

During light periods on land, eateries can redirect staff into the kitchen to do basic prep for the next meal. They can see or hear a patron enter and come out to attend to that patron. That's just not practicable with the Windjammer, given where it is, given how big and rambling it generally is, and given where basic prep generally occurs. I think we're going to see late night eats directed more and more into smaller eateries where that on-land model might work better. On FOS, there's the Cafe Promenade. Other cruise lines are doing the same thing.

Can someone refresh my memory. Some years ago (2004?) sailed on the Serenade (Medit.) and there was a complementary restaurant/snack on the upper deck where Johnny Rockets and now I believe Uzumi is that was open late and able to get burgers, hot dogs, pasta, pizza, etc. Most of the time it was not crowded and of lot of the crew members ate there late at night.

I'm not sure if it was on all of the Brilliance class.

Can someone refresh my memory. Some years ago (2004?) sailed on the Serenade (Medit.) and there was a complementary restaurant/snack on the upper deck where Johnny Rockets and now I believe Uzumi is that was open late and able to get burgers, hot dogs, pasta, pizza, etc. Most of the time it was not crowded and of lot of the crew members ate there late at night.

I'm not sure if it was on all of the Brilliance class.

Seaview Cafe, which was replaced by Izumi on most Radiance class ships. I believe Radiance got a Samba in that spot. No Johnny Rockets on Radiance class ships.

Seaview Cafe, which was replaced by Izumi on most Radiance class ships. I believe Radiance got a Samba in that spot. No Johnny Rockets on Radiance class ships.

Thanks, Bob. I remember that Johnny replaced Seaview Café before Izumi on one of our subsequent cruise. It was nice eating on the outside tables.

Thanks, Bob. I remember that Johnny replaced Seaview Café before Izumi on one of our subsequent cruise. It was nice eating on the outside tables.

Interesting, I cannot recall a JR on Radiance class. Do you recall which ship?

I'm kind of surprised how many people want to eat at 10pm. I'm generally in bed at that time!
Especially after 8 hours in port hiking through a forest or trammeling over historic sites!

I'd rather see the Windjammer open at 4:30 AM or 5:00 AM at the latest!

Other cruise lines usually have their buffets open 10pm-Midnight for late night snacks; a place to get some hot food, quick bites, etc. Not every RCI ship has Cafe Promenade and the buffet selections on competitors, even when limited to one section offers much more than CP.

With early dinner it would be nice to have a late night spot after a show and make Royal more in line with competitors.

Whatever happened with Quantum-Class that was supposed to have 24 hour WJ? Never happened? Do they still just close down at 9:30PM?? That's a bit early.

Yes, I would, and like many things with Royal, I'd like some consistency fleet wide. I still remember arriving in Barbados at 8am on Jewel and the Windjammer didn't open up until 8 am that day.

Late night pizza available at Park Cafe on Radiance and Vision class ships too.

Late night PC offerings are not even close to what other lines offer. Windjammer closes earlier than even the buffet on Holland America. It would be nice if PC opened and had more than just the pizza.

Other lines don't seem to have an issue balancing this out, to open a corner of the buffet for some late night snacks, even in conjunction with paid for room service. It's easy to run up, get a quick snack and leave. Who wants to wait an hour for room service?

Interesting, I cannot recall a JR on Radiance class. Do you recall which ship?

It had to be the Serenade as I found a letter (undated) from the LA attached to the D coupon book and it has a JR bogo milk shake coupon. If I remember vividly, the food stuff was gratis, but drinks, especially their milk shakes were at a cost.

Except Jewel - the Solarium cafe doesn't stay open the late. That was my biggest gripe about Jewel - the Solarium cafe had limited hours.

I thought the Solarium Cafe on Jewel was open with pizza until at least 1am?

First time booking with RCL and was very surprised to find Buffet shuts at 9.

Thought at the time it's ok, can just order room service if needed, but now have discovered we will be charged for that. At time of us making final payment they were still telling us room service was free, but that's a whole other thread :(

Definite yes from me. Reduced section of buffet should open 10pm - midnight for late snacks :D

Late night pizza available at Park Cafe on Radiance and Vision class ships too.

I might have to try that again Bob, On Jewel they only served roofing shingles with Cheese at the solarium Café. Looking forward to Jewel next year.

I might have to try that again Bob, On Jewel they only served roofing shingles with Cheese at the solarium Café. Looking forward to Jewel next year.

We are on the fall TA coming back from Rome, and I'm getting a little concerned about the offerings at the Solarium Cafe.