Allure: Power Strip vs. Multi-Plug Device?

I now it has been cover but I appreciate some clarification before going out and making any more purchases.

I understand that a lot of people recommend a power strip (minus the surge protector of course) to help increase your cabin outlets. Before getting one, I found in my current stuff that I have a multi-plug outlet that converts one outlet into 3 and I have one that converts into 6 (I really thing this maybe too big, but I do not know).

Since I do not know where the outlets are located at, I do not know if there is enough room for one of these multi-plug devices.

My question: do you think one of these multi-plug devices will work or should I go out and purchase a power strip (minus the surge protector of course)?

This is what the power outlet on Allure looks like:

94bc830f-0f95-4af3-ba8b-89bf9968c40a_zpsvocf8vkq.jpg

OK this may be a strange question. It looks like there is a cupboard beside the plug ins. Is it possible that you could plug in a power strip and set that inside the cupboard and keep the things plugged in in the cupboard. I am only asking because my counters always get so cluttered with papers, cameras, and other stuff that are charging that if it was in the cupboard it would all be out of the way.

Just so you know, surge protection has nothing to do with it. That is simply an urban legend. The problem that may be encountered on a ship is a any fused strip or device. At home you have 3 wires in a plug. Only one side of the plugs is "hot" (110V Eastern US or 120V Western US). It feeds to a neutral on the other side while the third (round) plug is simply a safety ground for devices that have conductive surfaces. Rather than a "hot" and a "neutral" ships utilize two hot plugs at 55V each (180 degrees out of phase) to produce 110Vs. Since plug-in strips are designed for home usage they only fuse the "hot" side. On a ship the fuse could trip and the other 55V side on the plug would continue to be hot. Here is a more detailed explanation

Just so you know, surge protection has nothing to do with it. That is simply an urban legend. The problem that may be encountered on a ship is a any fused strip or device. At home you have 3 wires in a plug. Only one side of the plugs is "hot" (110V Eastern US or 120V Western US). It feeds to a neutral on the other side while the third (round) plug is simply a safety ground for devices that have conductive surfaces. Rather than a "hot" and a "neutral" ships utilize two hot plugs at 55V each (180 degrees out of phase) to produce 110Vs. Since plug-in strips are designed for home usage they only fuse the "hot" side. On a ship the fuse could trip and the other 55V side on the plug would continue to be hot. Here is a more detailed explanation

While you are quite correct that US style consumer power strips only interrupt one leg, the problem with surge protection is not an urban legend. This is a separate problem caused by the possibility of a ground on the ship creating a reverse voltage on the MOV's that are the surge protection path to ground, and which the MOV's are not designed to accept.

As both the USCG Safety Notice, and the answer to the blog you posted mention, one leg of the power would still be conducting current if the "breaker" in the power strip tripped, however, what caused the fire was not overcurrent (which would have been prevented by the circuit breaker for the ship's circuit), but the fact that this continued power, from a grounded device on the ship supplying a reverse voltage to the surge protector MOV's caused them to fail in thermal runaway, catching the power strip on fire.

See post #10 here, which went to Electrical Engineering Professors at Maritime Universities:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143