Burning Edge Question

ORV

I don't consider that a "rant". I have experienced smoking in the inappropriate places on a ship and I to am allergic. It is my opinion, nothing wrong with what I said and, by the way, I would never "rant" at an individual. I stated my case and that's that. I know many others would say the same thing but won't. You are entitled to do whatever you want but if you get caught it's on you. I repeat, if you do not want to follow the rules, then find another cruise line. You probably won't unless they are from Europe where smoking is widely accepted. Great. That is your prerogative but, as for me, I feel that if these are the rules then obey them. It's that simple.

So, if I ranted to the person, I apologize but think about it. Everyone complains about chair hogs and quite a few other annoying situations. Reading in the cafes during peak dining hours, or in Cafe al Bacio during peak hours, or running for the elevators when you see someone in a scooter or wheelchair approaching. These things also affect some cruisers but, it will not stop. No one seems to care and that's just that.

Again, I repeat, sorry if I "offended" someone but smoking on a ship is dangerous.

Pat C

One more thing, I did NOT say anything about smoking in the designated areas. That was the point. Those who stand on their balcony and try to hide it. THAT is dangerous. Nor did I think they were trying to "break the rules". This comes up all the time on CC. Done with My rant.

You probably won't, unless they are from Europe where smoking is widely accepted.

Although technically still part of Europe;

There are rules in the UK which forbid smoking inside public places.

sorry if I "offended" someone but smoking on a ship is dangerous.

I don't consider that a "rant". I have experienced smoking in the inappropriate places on a ship and I to am allergic. It is my opinion, nothing wrong with what I said and, by the way, I would never "rant" at an individual. I stated my case and that's that. I know many others would say the same thing but won't. You are entitled to do whatever you want but if you get caught it's on you. I repeat, if you do not want to follow the rules, then find another cruise line. You probably won't unless they are from Europe where smoking is widely accepted. Great. That is your prerogative but, as for me, I feel that if these are the rules then obey them. It's that simple.

So, if I ranted to the person, I apologize but think about it. Everyone complains about chair hogs and quite a few other annoying situations. Reading in the cafes during peak dining hours, or in Cafe al Bacio during peak hours, or running for the elevators when you see someone in a scooter or wheelchair approaching. These things also affect some cruisers but, it will not stop. No one seems to care and that's just that.

Again, I repeat, sorry if I "offended" someone but smoking on a ship is dangerous.

Pat C

Who are you addressing here? If you’re addressing me, had you read my entire post you’d know I don’t smoke, am allergic to it, and don’t condone smoking in non-smoking areas. In fact, I have reported someone for smoking on their balcony, and would certainly report anyone smoking in non-smoking areas in the future.

Great. You have an opinion. I have one too. Celebrity allows smoking in designated areas. Since Edge is fully booked, and there’s been no change in the policy, there will be designated smoking areas on her. By all means, report anyone who breaks the smoking rules. But since, for the part, smokers on Celebrity ships act responsibly, why assume they’ll act like barbarians?

Pat C

PatC, whatever your opinion may be, you did rant and by definition, not opinion. The definition of rant[ing] is as follows, "To speak aggressivly about something. or to take your tangent about a subject and talk for a long time in a passionate manner," and, "A rant is an argument that is fueled by passion, not shaped by facts,".

When you ranted, you specifically referred to smoking in your suite, which is why I quoted you in the first place and probably why Silkroad also felt you were addressing me in your original comment.

I'm quoting you now because I find it difficult to believe that you're apologizing to me and it may be that you aren't. Perhaps you're merely defending your position to the community as a whole or apologizing to Silkroad and Last Dance. Either way, it seems both disingenuous and a little insulting. I've quoted you above because you've referred to me personally as "someone" and "the person".

Jennifer

Whoever mentioned that reading (or whatever) in high peak hrs in El Bacio is somehow wrong I think is missing the point of what El Bacio is for. I understand not taking up tables in the dining areas during peak times should be avoided since the tables are for dining. But El Bacio is not a dining area, it is a gathering place that has specialty coffees and snacks and is a great place to meet and enjoy. My friends join us for cards and talk there a good deal of the time. We do partake in the coffees and snacks, but we don’t have a half-filled coffee sitting in front of us at all times. It isn’t a place to only go, have a coffee and snack and get up and leave, no matter what is the ‘peak’ use time there, which from my experience is pretty much all day and well into the night. It is a place to sit and enjoy. I see lots of people reading and relaxing at the window seats and just enjoying the cruise. I do chuckle when I see someone dozing off, but I don’t really think they come into El Bacio to sleep, they just doze off as most of us do at times when we are enjoying life.

Methinks we have too many people setting down ‘rules’ and do’s/don’ts that aren’t really rules or even good etiquette. Sometimes someone’s ‘rules’ consist of: I want to use this place and there isn’t room so someone should move so I can use it.

Den