Procedure from parking in Bayonne, to luggage to getting on ship?

This is our first time leaving from Bayonne. So do we park and then walk across to the terminal with our luggage and then check in? How does all this work. I thought I read somewhere that they take your luggage from your car and then you park?

This is our first time leaving from Bayonne. So do we park and then walk across to the terminal with our luggage and then check in? How does all this work. I thought I read somewhere that they take your luggage from your car and then you park?

Drop bags first, then you park.

from all ive read this will be harder to park than the breakway but easier to check in :)

the problem i've read is the road leading to the terminal stinks and is the same whether you drop off/drive right to the garage etc. whereas across the river you go up or down based on drop off/parking

I've been to both ports, Cape Liberty is so much easier than Manhattan. The parking garage at Cape Liberty is right next to the new terminal. In December 2016 parking at Cape Liberty was $20 per night.

Both require patience since thousands of guest are embarking in a short period of time. I actually feel Manhattan port is worse especially if there is more than one ship in. All traffic there must flow the same way before it splits for drop off or parking. It just seems to take longer especially when you have to wait for the traffic light to change for cross traffic. Where as Cape Liberty all the times we were there, there was only one ship in port and no traffic light.

Here is a diagram of at Cape Liberty. As Baron suggested you must pass the drop off area in order to get to the garage. There is no direct access to the garage from the main road coming in.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-12%20at%208.51.47%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-12%20at%208.55.23%20AM.png

Edited by starfish216

does day of the week matter?

i was in NYC for 2 sunday cruises. zero issues traveling from PA on 78 and i got there 1 hour earlier than i thought. virtually no wait to get through the tunnel even . and leaving the next sunday was super easy. never any waits to park or to leave.

this time ill be embarking on a thursday. I know not going thru the tunnel will save me some time but any idea what a daily commute during the week will add to my traffic?

also returning on the friday before christmas. is that a super busy or super dead driving day (basically do i wanna be 6 am in self disembark or wait until 9 when they kick you off?

Drop off your bags and then go park. The two times we have sailed from Bayonne, we arrived between 10 and 10:30. We dropped out bags and then we park, backing into spot so it is easier to get out when everyone seems to be in a hurry after the cruise. The traffic was not backed up bad at all. Once you come out of the garage, look for people in blue with ipads. For our September cruise, we were able to check in outside the terminal and then head through security. For our sailing a couple of weeks ago, it was way too cold to be outside, so all the people with ipads to check in were in the building.

i back in all spots but thats good advice

so IF you have a choice, where in the garage is best to park. or totally irrelevant? for concerts etc, i try to get on the lower level so i'm not there 1 hour waiting just to get out of the garage.

We parked both times on level 2, backed in to the center wall of the garage. We could have parked on the ramp up but wanted to be closer to the elevator. We also wanted to be shielded by the interior wall because our first sailing was when a hurricane might hit the area (Sept '16) and our second sailing (Feb'17) was during winter. Neither time had a big back up in the garage. Both times we were going down to the loading area on the first level to have our porter load our bags.

Don't over think it, Bayonne is easy to get in and out of now with the new terminal.

If you have bags with 4 rollers it's just as easy to park car and then check your luggage with porter. I's maybe 200-300 ft. from garage to terminal. Also, you will probably find a RCL rep. with an I-Pad and he/she will examine your passport, check you in, take your photo and fill the health questionnaire. Once this is done you proceed to security and on to the ship.

Unfortunately, it's a pretty stupidly designed traffic pattern. It's as if they never thought anyone would ever not want to drop off luggage. In fact, the people directing you where to go act very surprised when you tell them you want to go directly to the garage. If you are there after around 10:30 and before around 1:00 be prepared for a 30 to 60 minute wait in traffic.