Difference between regular cruise and new year/holiday cruise

We've just booked a cruise on the Allure for December 31th, 2017. This will be our second cruise overall and also the second time on the Allure. So we have this question: besides obviously the price, how is this cruise different than a regular cruise? We do expect some kind of new year party, but don't know if that's it or there's more. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks!

There willlikely be some sort of New Years event. However, the main difference is the price as you've discovered, many more families and kids, and as mentioned usually higher prices on specialty dining. Unfortunately they know many families can only cruise at these times and will pay the increased prices, just the nature of the industry....

From the Reports on here they have started to rope off certain Areas / Bars / Lounges and made People pay a high entrance fee to attend the festivities.

So unless you are prepared to pay through the nose for some Events, expect to be denied Access to certain Areas and parties on NYE.

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this question. So, in summary, we can expect:

- Increased prices everywhere

- More children

- More drunks

- Non-complimentary parties on NYE

Certainly it doesn't look as good as I thought it would be. Too bad we won't be able to cruise on a different day for at least one more year, so it'll have to work.

Thanks!

Totally agree , we try to book times when at least most of the kids are in school, which also saves us money

We feel like that too. Hopefully this cruise won't be too bad and the NYE party will be good. Fingers crossed...

We did a Xmas cruise this year and were extremely disappointed, they really didn't do anything special except an Xmas parade which was extremely boring.

Wow! Shame on them! If they charge a premium they should deliver a premium.

After all that have been said here, I would book a different date, if I had the chance :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but its dependent on the cruise director. I went on the Grandeur for NYE 2014 and it was the best cruise I've ever been on. On NYE, there were 5 different simultaneous parties on this small ship and every one of them was packed.

The reason I said its dependent on the cruise director, was my travel agent, who I met on that was on the Grandeur for 2015 NYE the next year and she told me the activities and such were totally different and the vibe was a disappointment. She said it was a different CD and the activities were not as good and well planned.

So the answer is, it depends on the cruise director. Personally, I think its a nice way to ring in the new year, but unless you get a good deal on it (like we did), I would not think about sailing over the holidays.

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this question. So, in summary, we can expect:

- Increased prices everywhere

- More children

- More drunks

- Non-complimentary parties on NYE

Certainly it doesn't look as good as I thought it would be. Too bad we won't be able to cruise on a different day for at least one more year, so it'll have to work.

Thanks!

While we are still partial to RCCL over Carnival, and have never Sailed Royal over New Years, I would encourage you to look at Carnival if you're locked in to the date.

We just did the Dream this past New Years, they had two great countdown parties, one in the Atrium at NYC midnight, and another an hour later on the pool deck at ships time midnight.

There were no "for fee" parties that we saw, and there were lots of Carnival Branded favors (Hats, beads, some blow up flashy sticks, etc) at the free parties as well as the Main Dining Room. Free champagne at the parties as well as another party with the same on embark day. Specialty restaurants were the usual price (but sold out early).

These perks were worth no where near what we paid as premium for a Holiday sailing, but the premium was much less than we would have paid on the RCCL cruise we were considering.

So another line might be worth a look for you this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums