I hope Carnival Corp doesn't try this on HAL

TAD2005

I don't think you will see if on HAL anytime soon.....HAL is a level above the Carnival cruises.

The previous poster that indicated they noticed some Carnival staff that wore different uniforms than their room steward - I am guessing it's due to the cut backs in room stewards so they are pulling bar staff etc to assist them when twice a day service is requested by several cruisers? Just a guess......

Someone mentioned that if HAL started the cut backs, that they would move to Celebrity....I'm guessing they are pretty well on par with each other such as service, etc so it probably wouldn't be long before similar level-of-service lines come up with similar cut backs... As an example - look at Norwegian last year implementing the room delivery service charge 24/7 and people said they would start sailing RCL because of it - but this week RCL announced a similar service charge. Probably won't be long before Carnival follows along.......

How did the Viking Ocean fares for the WC compare with HAL'S?

Tampa girl🤗

Tried to send email was blocked.

Viking Ocean

2/24-5/30 2019.

For us and for all on the cruise:

All gratuities, laundry and dry cleaning,2 excursions of choice in each port,fully stocked beverages and liquor of your choice in room. Pre and post hotels and all drinks anything on the ship. Also we are getting. Our air fare $1,000 each upgraded business, and free wi!

Ranges in price from $39,000-up to 74,000 pp. not including penthouse (174,000 pp) !!!!

All verandas no inside cabins.

They have 144 day World Cruise and we are doing 94 day on her. Viking Spirit! Pacific Explorer.

The difference for us is everything is included which is great, on HAL WC you will need to purchase all the extras.

Now we are doing our cruise with HAL next 2/25/18 28 day round trip out of San Diego and got all gratuities,Explorer package,free wifi, and $1,000 OBC. Such a deal when we were on The Eurodam this past Oct in the Med and booked onboard.

Hope this helps!

Denise:)

If someone chooses to have their room serviced one time a day vs two will the daily gratuity be reduced?

Reason I'm asking...we just stayed at a resort in Florida. When we checked in they asked us if we wanted the daily housekeeping? I stood with my mouth open thinking "is this optional now?" We travel a lot and have never been asked this before in any hotel/resort in the US.

If we didn't want it they would reduce our rate by $18 a day. (We could still get clean towels every day even if we chose to opt out of the daily housekeeping)

So I'm not really surprised to read this.

The HK offerings are happening in the big brand hotels, too. The Starwood portfolio part of Marriott has the Make A Green Choice program. You get a monetary credit ($5 or $10) to use onsite or 500 Starpoints for each day (you can do 4 in a row) you decline. You may still call for new towels and toiletries any time. I believe Marriott has a similar program. Some guests are low-maintenance are OK with minimal service and some guests demand the full 2/day service. No biggie.

When you arrive in your cabin on embarkation day, you are given a card to select if you want morning, evening, or both cabin services. You can select to have your cabin cleaned in the morning, or at night when you go to dinner, or both. You can clearly see what's happening here. Carnival will monitor this process for a half year, and then discharge a good number of cabin stewards, and load additional cabins on the already overworked staff. Then, the BOTH option on the card will quietly disappear.

The card thing does not happen on all CCL ships. I have yet to hear anyone say if they wanted 2x a day service they couldn't have it. Many folks like only having the staff in the cabin once a day. We prefered 2x a day - cleaning in the AM and in the evening towels, ice and the Fun Times for the next day -and had no problem getting that. This has been going on for well over a year now.

Another one.... Carnival is now implementing "American Table" on some of their ships. With that, you get NO tablecloth in the MDR. They dump a basket of rolls and a huge pitcher of water on the table, plus a stack of silverware and napkins.

They don't dump anything on the table - they deliver the basket of bread where you can choose your own and a pitcher so you can have as much water as you desire. The table is set with silverware and napkins in a traditional manner.

So, you are now eating on a bare table, that was just wiped down with a rag that wiped many other tables and chairs earlier. Your silverware sits on that bare table, your water or ice tea glass condenses puddles of water all over that bare table, and on rough days, plates start sliding on the wet, bare table. You don't have an option on this "improvement". If your ship has implemented "American Table" you are stuck with it, except on their "Elegant Nights", where they break out a tablecloth.

I for one thought I'd hate not having a tablecloth each evening except formal night but that wasn't the case. It's not something you notice since so many land restaurants don't use them either ,

What's next on Carnival ??? Do you get a choice of lunch or dinner, but not both ? Will they start chargin your account if you request some cloth napkins to put your silverware on ? Maybe you'll get a paper napkin ? Will the silverware be replaced by plastic-ware ? Maybe paper cups instead of glasses, or paper plates ? Pretty soon we will see "Golden Arches" outside of the MDR.

Pretty big stretch here - I don't see it ever going that far but good for stirring the drama :D

The worst part of all of these cuts is that the Carnival cheerleaders say "Wow, this is great" !! "I didn't like to have to leave my cabin for that early cleaning." Or "Who needs a towel animal anyway" at the late partial cleaning and bed turndown ? Other comments like "most restaurants I eat at on land don't use tablecloths, so it's fine with me". Or, "tablecloths and tank-tops and jeans don't go together".

Carnival is more of a budget cruise line with a younger clientele than HAL. The carnival "demographic" has different expectations than the experienced HAL cruiser. The CCL demographic wants to be totally casual and not be bothered by stewards in the cabin more than once a day, formal dinners, or anything else that might restrict their "freedom"

See my comments above in red.

In my estimation CCL delivers what their demographic seem to want, If that's not the degree of informality you want then don't book Carnival. IMHO:D

I for one expect the HAL main dining room to be better than the typical chain restaurant.

igraf

...What you describe is not all that different than what you get at most chain restaurants in the US...

I

The previous poster that indicated they noticed some Carnival staff that wore different uniforms than their room steward - I am guessing it's due to the cut backs in room stewards so they are pulling bar staff etc to assist them when twice a day service is requested by several cruisers? Just a guess......

We sailed CCL 2x last year. Our cabin steward and his assistant wore different shirts some days. The bar staff etc was never assigned to cleaning cabins for 2x- a-dayers

I just don't like my silverware sitting on a bare table top that was wiped down by the same rag used on all the other tables. At least wrap them up in a napkin, that sits on the bare table top that was wiped down by the same rag used on all the other tables.

I just don't like my silverware sitting on a bare table top that was wiped down by the same rag used on all the other tables. At least wrap them up in a napkin, that sits on the bare table top that was wiped down by the same rag used on all the other tables.

Here's a photo of the table on the non formal nights on Carnival. I found it on CruiseCritic BTW.

924a11622b33e10e143088e8b9d1d340.jpg

I happen to prefer table cloths or placemats at a minimum, but as you can see, the silverware is not right on the table and the table is set.

So, not only are people upset about something that's not happening on Holland America, they're upset about something that's not even happening on Carnival. The original post led me to believe that there was a pile of silver on a bare table.

Stand by. It's coming.

It is only a matter of time.

So long as frugal HAL Cruisers demand cheaper cruises and more freebies, and Carnival Shareholders demand bigger dividends, something has to give.

That translates to lower quality and reduced services.

There is no other way.

I don't hear HAL cruisers here demanding cheaper cruisers or more freebies. Most agree HAL provides value cruising which means it is fairly prices for what one gets in return, at least they have in the past.

Most CCL shareholders here think the cruise credits far outweigh any dividends - I honestly don't even know what dividends I get on my 100 shares. Not sure what you mean by more freebies - we regret losing some of the freebies in the past but I don't hear anyone demanding even more new ones.

I would say someone is having a bad day at the office if they viscerally don't like their customers they are paid to serve. Just saying.

Here's a photo of the table on the non formal nights on Carnival. I found it on CruiseCritic BTW.

924a11622b33e10e143088e8b9d1d340.jpg

I happen to prefer table cloths or placemats at a minimum, but as you can see, the silverware is not right on the table and the table is set.

So, not only are people upset about something that's not happening on Holland America, they're upset about something that's not even happening on Carnival. The original post led me to believe that there was a pile of silver on a bare table.

So, once you pick up the napkin to put it on your lap, where do you put the silverware? Then when they deliver a spoon and fork for desert in advance of the plate and cup, placed on the table. At least a paper placemat like at McDonalds would help.

I don't hear HAL cruisers here demanding cheaper cruisers or more freebies. Most agree HAL provides value cruising which means it is fairly prices for what one gets in return, at least they have in the past.

Most CCL shareholders here think the cruise credits far outweigh any dividends - I honestly don't even know what dividends I get on my 100 shares. Not sure what you mean by more freebies - we regret losing some of the freebies in the past but I don't hear anyone demanding even more new ones.

I would say someone is having a bad day at the office if they viscerally don't like their customers they are paid to serve. Just saying.

100 shares equals $140 dividends per year

So, once you pick up the napkin to put it on your lap, where do you put the silverware? Then when they deliver a spoon and fork for desert in advance of the plate and cup, placed on the table. At least a paper placemat like at McDonalds would help.

The square plate is your bread plate - I set my silver on it if I feel the need.

There was a big uproar about the tablecloths/lack of tablecloths over on the CCL boards when it was enacted - now it's a nonissue.

Again ... the demographic at Carnival is different than HAL.

I frequent a dining facility that has this problem: there is nothing on the table after the diner places the cloth napkin on their lap and they do not provide additional napkins. I end up bringing my own paper napkins.

Wiping the table with a soapy solution and a dirty rag is no substitute for a clean table cloth.

igraf

Again ... the demographic at Carnival is different than HAL.

What does that have to do with silverware sitting on a bare, dirty table top? Do they eat with their fingers over on Carnival?

I'll be back on HAL in a couple of weeks and we'll see what they are up to.

One of the new dining fads popular with urban millennials feature bare table tops and bare floors and walls. Supposedly, this increases the noise level and exudes a sense of excitement and exhilaration preferred by urban millennials. Princess tried a bit of this with their SHARE dining concept which was not well accepted.

Bare tables may be at many American restaurants, but on a cruise I'm paying for "dress up" and I want to feel dressed up. HAL is part of the Carnival Corporation, but let the kids have the Carnival ships and give me the grown up...HAL ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with CHPurser - It is only a matter of time. Just in last 2 years that we have been HAL regulars have definitely noticed the changes. And they are not changes to the better either. Examples: Limited room service for breakfast, fewer and more overworked room stewards, more limited options in Lido, VERY slow MDR service(fewer waiters?). Cruising definitely not as enjoyable as used to be. Will probably start considering other uses for our travel budget. There are a lot of very enjoyable "All Inclusive" vacation options out there where they really are "All Inclusive" and we have enjoyed these in the past. Will probably revisit these options. They do allow a more in depth experience than the each day, new port experience offered by cruises. Don't get me wrong. Still love cruising, but just not the special experience it used to be in my opinion.

Jane

What does that have to do with silverware sitting on a bare, dirty table top? Do they eat with their fingers over on Carnival?

I'll be back on HAL in a couple of weeks and we'll see what they are up to.

The CCL crowd is younger and much more informal than the HAL crowd. They tend to eat, at home, at more casual establishments, none of which use tablecloths. Tablecloths are a nonissue with that crowd.

No judgements - just observations on my part - I've sailed both lines in the past year.

Agree with CHPurser - It is only a matter of time. Just in last 2 years that we have been HAL regulars have definitely noticed the changes. And they are not changes to the better either. Examples: Limited room service for breakfast, fewer and more overworked room stewards, more limited options in Lido, VERY slow MDR service(fewer waiters?). Cruising definitely not as enjoyable as used to be. Will probably start considering other uses for our travel budget. There are a lot of very enjoyable "All Inclusive" vacation options out there where they really are "All Inclusive" and we have enjoyed these in the past. Will probably revisit these options. They do allow a more in depth experience than the each day, new port experience offered by cruises. Don't get me wrong. Still love cruising, but just not the special experience it used to be in my opinion.

Jane

Parallel universes rule: We have had very different experiences, even as recent as a month ago:

1. Still great variety for a hot room service breakfast

2. Cabins made up promptly, and always with a smile and attention to any personal requests

3. Main dining room service very speedy - after a hiatus a few years ago when it did bog down - kinks now worked out

4. Lido totally refreshed menu items, along with vastly improved Dive In and aft-deck pizza stations

The looming wrinkle for us is hearing about HAL increasing the number of very large group take-overs of primary ship venues, to the detriment and inconvenience of regular passengers booked, without notice, on the same cruise.

I frequent a dining facility that has this problem: there is nothing on the table after the diner places the cloth napkin on their lap and they do not provide additional napkins. I end up bringing my own paper napkins.

Wiping the table with a soapy solution and a dirty rag is no substitute for a clean table cloth.

igraf

Most places don't use soapy solutions on tables they use sanitizer solution, it's works very well. It's actually sometimes easier to use a sanitized towel to clean the tables well.

Most places don't use soapy solutions on tables they use sanitizer solution, it's works very well. It's actually sometimes easier to use a sanitized towel to clean the tables well.

Good point. It's not like the table cloth guarantees a sanitary situation. (Please remember that I prefer tablecloths.) However, my engineering background tells me that it's easier to sanitize a hard surface than a soft one.

Good point. It's not like the table cloth guarantees a sanitary situation. (Please remember that I prefer tablecloths.) However, my engineering background tells me that it's easier to sanitize a hard surface than a soft one.

"Sanitize" is a meaningless word in this setting.. Against what micro-organisms, what duration of contact of what specific "sanitizing" agents. Do people mistakenly assume "sterilization" when they hear the word "sanitization".

Basically, anything that wipes down a surface from tables to hands, is merely physically removing some of the contaminants. Wiping down these dining tables at best takes off only the ketchup blobs.

Visit the CDC and NIH for more specifics about surface decontamination.