What does princess do with all that food?

MTJSR

I would thing that some food can be re-used but others cannot be as the quality would be diminished and the cruise lines do not want to deal with food poisoning, etc.

I did read somewhere once that the food for passengers is not the same as for crew. They have their own kitchens/mess.

I have long suspected that last night's excess baked potatoes become this morning's fried or roasted potatoes on the breakfast buffet.

Again, the baked potatoes, once removed from the ovens are now on time control, and must be discarded after 4 hours. If the baked potatoes were kept in a warming box at 135*F or higher (they tend to dry out in these, though), then they could be reused.

I would thing that some food can be re-used but others cannot be as the quality would be diminished and the cruise lines do not want to deal with food poisoning, etc.

I did read somewhere once that the food for passengers is not the same as for crew. They have their own kitchens/mess.

All that I have stated in my previous posts is based on USPH regulations regarding food safety, and all cruise lines calling at US ports will abide by these regulations. It is all about time/temperature control. As for the crew, there are typically several messes. The officers will have a mess, where they get similar items to the buffet (much more limited choices), or they can order off a menu from the MDR galley. There will be a "petty officers' mess" where junior officers, junior staff, and engineers who do not wish to get into dress uniform for meals will eat, with the same buffet selections as the officers' mess, but no menu. Then there will be typically two crew messes, each a buffet, and each will feature different cuisine, one usually for Western tastes, and one for Asian tastes. All crew food is prepared in separate galleys from the passenger food.

I have long suspected that last night's excess baked potatoes become this morning's fried or roasted potatoes on the breakfast buffet.

Having a catering company, you can reuse some items, but the bit on the potatoes is NOT true. Most veggies don't do well as leftovers(except at home)They would be way too dry to use. Some meats can & are reused as "meatloaf". The meat has to be cooled quickly enough to avoid bacteria build up. Or there may be end cuts that were not heated. Those are kept separate. If you see a "chef's special" in a restaurant, it's usually to get rid of something from the night before, or to use up an item close to it's "expiration" time. Prime Rib is frequently turned into meat loaf. End cuts frequently are as well. You really can make an outstanding meatloaf from leftover tenderloin/Prime Rib etc.

Edited by keithm
Additions