Silly question

salinza33

My BIL is going on a cruise with us this spring on Celebrity Summit. He's been complaining that he shouldn't have to dress up for vacation (ugh, I just keep reminding myself how much I love my sister). I know on Celebrity they all you to dress for the evening and not just dinner. Is that every evening or only the formal evenings? On RCI last year the formal nights were my favorite but I'm looking for some info to shush him up. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Celebrity, like most lines, has become more casual. Formal nights have been replaced with Chic nights; still dressier than normal, but no longer require a tie or jacket (nice jeans with a collared shirt is sufficient). Chic nights only apply in the main dining room; lounges, theater, specialty restaurants etc. only recommend smart casual attire. So long as he does not want to wear shorts to the MDR (or specialty venues) at dinner he should be OK.

It's not a silly question but it is an oft-repeated one. There are no formal nights anymore. There are nights where most people get a bit more dressed up than normal. The simplest thing, and the one which will generate the least dissension and controversy, is just to have him consult the Celebrity website where the dress code is spelled out for you.

So long as he doesn't wear shorts like someone said, and tank top or tattered jeans... Even a collared t shirt and decent pants are fine. We like to dress up, my husband even likes to wear a suit once or twice. I don't really want to pack the suit, but said he could wear a nice shirt and pants.:D

......He's been complaining that he shouldn't have to dress up for vacation......

Tell him to stop complaining and he can dress any way he desires.

Start concentrating on having fun. BTW, we did Summit to Bermuda, doing it again, and it was fantastic.

Tell him to stop complaining and he can dress any way he desires.

Start concentrating on having fun. BTW, we did Summit to Bermuda, doing it again, and it was fantastic.

Bad advice, you can't wear shorts in the MDR for dinner., some may have anecdotal evidence of seeing someone in shorts but that is not policy and is generally enforced. Have been to Bermuda last three years on Summit

Bad advice, you can't wear shorts in the MDR for dinner.,

That has been addressed ad nauseum:rolleyes:. You cannot wear shorts in the MDR.

If he wants to wear shorts, let him wear shorts. If he wants to wear wife beater shirts, so what. He will just be denied entering certain venues.

Again, I stand by my advice, do not be concerned one bit about what he wants to wear, be concerned about having fun on the cruise.

That has been addressed ad nauseum:rolleyes:. You cannot wear shorts in the MDR.

If he wants to wear shorts, let him wear shorts. If he wants to wear wife beater shirts, so what. He will just be denied entering certain venues.

Again, I stand by my advice, do not be concerned one bit about what he wants to wear, be concerned about having fun on the cruise.

Perhaps you should have noticed that this poster has four posts so to him/her, it has not been discussed ad nauseam. Other posters tell him/her not to wear shorts and you tell him otherwise, what is he to think. To tell someone to wear what they want is irresponsible without giving the proviso that you did in your second post, that is he/she may not be allowed into the MDR. You did not do that in your first post which could have led to the situation where the guy goes in with shorts and is refused entry.

By the way, I don't care what other people wear and never have, that's their choice but they deserve the best answer when they ask a question.

The dress code is only for the dining rooms. Elegant Chic night dress codes only applies to MDR. Smart casual dress is the dress code for all other dining rooms with the exception of the Oceanview buffet where there is no dress code. If one wants to wear shorts in the evening, whilst it may not be the Dress Code no one is going to stop you. I often after a long day ashore have worn shorts and T shirt in the evening in the Buffet for dinner and then gone onto the show. It is your holiday for you to enjoy. The ships staff are not the fun police and will not interfere with your enjoyment unless your enjoyment interferes with others enjoyment. As much as it may offend some people I don't feel in the least intimidated sitting in the theatre in my shorts, and T shirt and a couple of seats along are a couple in Tux and ball gown. Whatever one feels comfortable is right.

This is also a part of the dress code that conveniently gets ignored:

And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

My BIL is going on a cruise with us this spring on Celebrity Summit. He's been complaining that he shouldn't have to dress up for vacation (ugh, I just keep reminding myself how much I love my sister). I know on Celebrity they all you to dress for the evening and not just dinner. Is that every evening or only the formal evenings? On RCI last year the formal nights were my favorite but I'm looking for some info to shush him up. Thanks!

I'm curious are you going on the Summit April 30

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Perhaps you should have noticed that this poster has four posts so to him/her, it has not been discussed ad nauseam.

It is in posts 2 and 5. It is on this web site tens of thousands of times. It is listed on the cruise line web site. Ignorance is no excuse. If you do not know that shorts are not permitted in the MDR, shame on you, go to the MDR with shorts and get denied access.

P To tell someone to wear what they want is irresponsible

My advice is to the OP. Do not be concerned with what BIL wants to wear. He should be an adult, not be ignorant to the customs and dress codes, and he should know what is permissible and what is not.

Again, my advice is to OP, do not be concerned one bit about BIL's dress (or any other issue). He should be an adult, understand what is expected, what the rules are and take it from there.

OP, just plan on having fun and do not concern yourself with BIL. He should be a big boy.

It is in posts 2 and 5. It is on this web site tens of thousands of times. It is listed on the cruise line web site. Ignorance is no excuse. If you do not know that shorts are not permitted in the MDR, shame on you, go to the MDR with shorts and get denied access.

My advice is to the OP. Do not be concerned with what BIL wants to wear. He should be an adult, not be ignorant to the customs and dress codes, and he should know what is permissible and what is not.

Again, my advice is to OP, do not be concerned one bit about BIL's dress (or any other issue). He should be an adult, understand what is expected, what the rules are and take it from there.

OP, just plan on having fun and do not concern yourself with BIL. He should be a big boy.

It is in posts 2 and 5 and then you contradicted both posts. Still bad advice.

I'd suggest telling him to suck it up and put on his big boy pants. Or let him wear his shorts and "wife beater" T. He'll discover if they'll let him into the MDR or not. It really should be your sister's responsibility to say, "you're not really wearing that are you?" :D

No shorts in the main dining room at dinner. We just got off the Infinity and saw men in shorts being turned away. A collared shirt -- polo or button down -- and pants (chinos or nice jeans are OK) and he'll be fine. If he want to eat dinner in the Oceanview then shorts and t-shirt are OK.

Posts 2 and 5 said no shorts, you said wear what you want. Quite obvious..

It said no shorts in the MDR.

I never said to wear shorts in the MDR.

You missed my point completely, imagine that. The OP wanted to shush the BIL from complaining about dressing up. The solution is easy. Tell him to dress however he wants. No more complaining about dressing up.

Even if it was my BIL and he had this problem or even wanted to go naked, it would be of no concern to me, go ahead, go to the MDR in your birthday suit. I wouldn't waste a NY minute trying to tell him how he needs to dress.

BTW, just curious, is there a rule that naked is not allowed in the MDR?

It said no shorts in the MDR.

I never said to wear shorts in the MDR.

You missed my point completely, imagine that. The OP wanted to shush the BIL from complaining about dressing up. The solution is easy. Tell him to dress however he wants. No more complaining about dressing up. You clarified it in later posts but that was not in your original post.

Even if it was my BIL and he had this problem or even wanted to go naked, it would be of no concern to me, go ahead, go to the MDR in your birthday suit. I wouldn't waste a NY minute trying to tell him how he needs to dress.

BTW, just curious, is there a rule that naked is not allowed in the MDR?

You said WEAR WHATEVER HE WANTS , that is the same as telling him to wear shorts. End of discussion for me, its as clear as a bell what you said no matter how much you try and get out of it.